Anthony Gordon

Jack27

30 minutes ago, Shak said:

Thought the timing of the pass was good but too far ahead of Gordon and too close to the keeper.

Just a bit less on it and Gordon has time to pick his spot a bit more rather than just trying to nick it by the keeper.

Do feel like he'll become a very effective member of the squad once he's had a bit longer under Howe and is used to playing with the rest of the lads. Have seen very little from him to suggest he's ever going to become a star player for us but think he'll be decent. Maybe not exactly what you hope to get from a £40m signing but his age and nationality will probably mean he'll ultimately prove to be decent value for money.

(Also, there's a fair chance that after a year or so Howe will turn him into an absolutely world class winger, obviously :lol:)

Aye I mean it's not like he's playing badly (Villa aside) can tell he's absolutely desperate to get a goal.

As has been said. Gordon needs time to fully integrate.

You can clearly see he's got the ability and once coached and up to proper speed, the Eddie Howe way, I think we have a cracking player.

As long as he can learn from mistakes then the lad will be class.

Only time will tell on this but we have to remember, not all signings will hit the ground running and sometimes the odd signing will simply fail to make the transition into a set up like we have at Newcastle.

All players get backed by me until they show something that makes me change my mind.

Not that I think he reads on here, but you can see why he's trying too hard when so many have already written him off.

Honestly baffling how so many are already on his back given how little he's actually played. 

1 minute ago, TBG said:

Not that I think he reads on here, but you can see why he's trying too hard when so many have already written him off.

Honestly baffling how so many are already on his back given how little he's actually played. 

it’s absolutely ridiculous. says more about the people writing him off than it does Gordon, though.

6 minutes ago, TBG said:

He's also watching a group of players absolutely playing out of their skins week in week out, all contributing and having an absolute blast doing it. The pressure on him to step up and make an impact every time he gets minutes is huge, especially given his price tag. He probably sat there with mixed emotions when, previously written off as Championship level, Jacob Murphy scored two great goals from a position he's competing for

53 minutes ago, TBG said:

He gets massive support at the ground mind, and that's where it counts, not online message boards. He just needs to be patient and wait his chance, Murphy has the shirt at the moment, Gordon will get plenty of minutes before the end of the season to stake his claim.

Thought he was good yesterday and was a bit gutted for him that he didn't bury that chance but agree with those saying the pass was a bit off. Have a feeling Willock probably fancied the chance himself so hesitated for a split second before making the right call. Gordon could only really snatch at it by the time it reached him. 

I'm looking forward to seeing more and more from him, tbh. I've got faith in Howe to get big returns out of any young attacker, let alone one that clearly has a lot of raw talent. Besides, I feel like we're having the sort of 'everything goes right' season that he'll probably notch one at Goodison in midweek. 

Agree with the sentiment that people need to chill with Gordon. Miggy didn't start to show signs of really kicking on under Howe till towards the end of last season/start of this season. Firmly believe Gordon was someone they likely had their eyes on for the Summer, then made a move in Jan because the opportunity arose. Firmly believe he will be a real force next season, and will remain a useful option/impact sub for the remainder of this one. 

He's came in poor form being hated at his boyhood club with a huge fee and into a team that's flying. You can understand why he's trying too hard at times. Just needs a goal and a bit more work with Eddie and we'll see what he's capable of. 

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Who is on his back? The crowd supported him.

I agree he's frustrated and trying too hard. Probably because he's behind Joelinton & Murphy in the starting line-up and they ripped it. And also because he's not managed a goal or assist in his opening 12 appearances for the club.

On 24/04/2023 at 13:04, Shak said:

Do feel like he'll become a very effective member of the squad once he's had a bit longer under Howe and is used to playing with the rest of the lads. Have seen very little from him to suggest he's ever going to become a star player for us but think he'll be decent. Maybe not exactly what you hope to get from a £40m signing but his age and nationality will probably mean he'll ultimately prove to be decent value for money.

I do too.  I really want him to succeed.  I've said it before, but I think he's a far more rounded player than what I thought we were getting.  I thought he was all pace, but he does have a football brain.  

this is probably posted else but if it is its worth repeating.  Don't Giggs me.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65398627

I think this is outstanding by Howe as usual.  After reading I'm 75% he won't start.  And I think it's probably the right decision.  But Howe knows shit loads more than me so lets see!

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

Taking away the keep the same team as we won 6-1 sentiment.  Would you start him based on the emotional side?  Will the atmosphere make him nail it or get a red card?  

I think bruce would 100% start him as he preferred the emotion to tactics.  I am leaning to no start to protect him so I'll say he should be on the bench... just..

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

2 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Taking away the keep the same team as we won 6-1 sentiment.  Would you start him based on the emotional side?  Will the atmosphere make him nail it or get a red card?  

I think bruce would 100% start him as he preferred the emotion to tactics.  I am leaning to no start to protect him so I'll say he should be on the bench... just..

But will come on and play a part! 

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

But will come on and play a part! 

That's what I hope.  Ideally icing on the cake as we're already 4-0 up in 15 mins ;)

In reality I would 100%, injuries aside, keep the same team due to the 6-1 and sub early if possible.   So this is more hypothetical.

2 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

That's what I hope.  Ideally icing on the cake as we're already 4-0 up in 15 mins ;)

In reality I would 100%, injuries aside, keep the same team due to the 6-1 and sub early if possible.   So this is more hypothetical.

I’m sure Eddie will stick to his tried and tested. Fab’s a doubt but hopeful he plays. I’ve no issues with Jamal stepping up if needed. I hope we turn it on and slap this lot :indi: