Anthony Gordon

Jack27

I think people gotta be realistic. 40m is not an outrageous fees nowadays. If you  really check other clubs transfer records, 40m is just about right for a top prospect. Gordon is just a prospect and far from a finishing product. He should be like that - showing where he is talented and showing what he needs to work on. You can’t expect he is a world beater and beats full backs for fun just because we payed 40m on him. I like what I saw from his game. A natural two-footer with pace, able to cross and shoot from anywhere, and is extremely willing to defend for the team. He just needs time to improve his decisions. 

Judge him as a 40m prospect instead of a 40m finished product. We should have learnt this lesson from Joelinton anyway.

Edited by Zero

2 hours ago, Zero said:

I think people gotta be realistic. 40m is not an outrageous fees nowadays. If you  really check other clubs transfer records, 40m is just about right for a top prospect. Gordon is just a prospect and far from a finishing product. He should be like that - showing where he is talented and showing what he needs to work on. You can’t expect he is a world beater and beats full backs for fun just because we payed 40m on him. I like what I saw from his game. A natural two-footer with pace, able to cross and shoot from anywhere, and is extremely willing to defend for the team. He just needs time to improve his decisions. 

Judge him as a 40m prospect instead of a 40m finished product. We should have learnt this lesson from Joelinton anyway.

Love this 

3 hours ago, Zero said:

Yep, an English world-class winger who’s still 21 years old would be at least 100m. I am not sure if Gordon will ever be a world-class, but his ability to play on both wings with high intensity could really help the team, especially once we start playing every 3 days from next season. If Eddie could improve his decision making, he would really get something out of him. 

5 hours ago, Conjo said:

Not that I disagree with the sentiment that he needs to be given time to settle in the squad, but generally speaking (looking past outliers like Joelinton) 22 years of age in football today is not an age you consider someone for the future. It's an age where a player should be able to make an immediate impact (especially if it's for a high fee) in the first team. If Gordon starts performing well soon, it'll more likely be more down to him getting used to the club, system, players etc rather than having improved as a football player mentally, technically and physically since we signed him.

There's some players like Billingham who are pretty much the full package from 17, but there's plenty players who don't really hit their stride until their early to mid 20s.

I mean Callum Wilson and Keiran Trippier weren't setting the world alight at 22. Harrison Ashby hasn't even played any football and he's 21.

Off the top of my head so this might not be fully accurate, but for rest of the England squad I think you have plenty examples of players fulfilling their potential beyond their early 20s; Harry Kane, James Maddison, Ivan Toney, Jamie Vardy, Tammy Abraham, Jarrod Bowen, Kalvin Phillips, Jack Grealish.

Even the greatest centre mid ever, Declan Rice, has improved immeasurably over the past couple of years (he's now 24) with talk of him still to find a new gear with his contributions in the final 3rd.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

What the hell am i reading for god's sake, he was shite ??? he was our best player by far in the first half.

With an attitude like some here you'll ruin the club with stupid sacking , like we had with sir Bobby when we have a wobble with Europe next season

6 hours ago, loki679 said:

You're a right condescending prick at times.  People are allowed to have their own opinions you know.

Yes, just as condescending as you are about the player, right?

And by the way I'm entitled to my opinion on your post too, if I think your opinion is daft, so stop being a cry baby about it.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yes, just as condescending as you are about the player, right?

And by the way I'm entitled to my opinion on your post too, if I think your opinion is daft, so stop being a cry baby about it.

Aye, fuck off Knaka

6 hours ago, Conjo said:

Not that I disagree with the sentiment that he needs to be given time to settle in the squad, but generally speaking (looking past outliers like Joelinton) 22 years of age in football today is not an age you consider someone for the future. It's an age where a player should be able to make an immediate impact (especially if it's for a high fee) in the first team. If Gordon starts performing well soon, it'll more likely be more down to him getting used to the club, system, players etc rather than having improved as a football player mentally, technically and physically since we signed him.

He did well against Southampton when he was playing on the left, but fell out of the game completely when he switched sides with Murphy which is probably why he ended up getting subbed as Isak was taking the left side.

He's been here a few months and has hardly played as the team is currently flying :lol:

This is all incredibly strange man.

10 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I said ‘people have suggested’ not that ‘people know’.  

I saw a fair bit of him at Everton didn’t rate him as a player. I think Olise has 40m talent potentially. I think Lavia does. I just don’t see it with Gordon. 

Nobody’s buying Joelinton for more than the 40m we paid. And we played Joelinton in the wrong position for years. We are playing Gordon in his best positions.  I’d rather we continued buying the likes of Bruno G for 40m than Gordon’s, wouldn’t you?

I’ve never rated the lad. He’s lucky he’s come into a great team because his performances largely don’t matter. I think he’s a great impact sub at the moment. He’ll score a goal sooner or later against tiring legs and hopefully he kicks on from there and proves me wrong.  But like I’ve said - I’ve never thought the lad has serious ability as a winger or wide forward. Maybe he’ll convert to a 8 or 9 or something and be mega at that. Maybe. 

Again, he has only recently joined and has hardly had a run of games.

There have been far more expensive players that took longer to get up to speed.

I would understand more if the guy had at least been here a season and had been playing regularly.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough. Think he's got a lot of very useful attributes and he'll start showing more soon enough, especially working with the bunch we have in charge.

Fully trust Howe and his teams judgement. Though it is possible to still question and criticise, I find some, not all, of the reaction to Gordon a bit OTT. He hasn’t came in and hit the ground running, but I see him as a project. We’ve paid for the potential, I don’t believe he has had a good environment in which to learn his trade previously, he will now be given every opportunity to realise his full potential. 

3 minutes ago, Ste said:

Fully trust Howe and his teams judgement. Though it is possible to still question and criticise, I find some, not all, of the reaction to Gordon a bit OTT. He hasn’t came in and hit the ground running, but I see him as a project. We’ve paid for the potential, I don’t believe he has had a good environment in which to learn his trade previously, he will now be given every opportunity to realise his full potential. 

That's the difference really, I just don't see that much potential there, especially not at his age. 

Happy to be proven wrong of course but I'm not sure I will be. 

I disagree with the ones thinking he was our best player in the first half. I don't think he was bad but it felt like he should had scored the goal where he was one and one and rather looking for options than finishing himself. Maybe its lack of confidence and trying too hard, but it felt sometimes he had tunnel vision towards the goal, but that's me being overly critical. Either way, I feel Isaks showing in the 2nd half hopefully will grow him rather than him falling in to negative thoughts.

33 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Again, he has only recently joined and has hardly had a run of games.

There have been far more expensive players that took longer to get up to speed.

I would understand more if the guy had at least been here a season and had been playing regularly.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough. Think he's got a lot of very useful attributes and he'll start showing more soon enough, especially working with the bunch we have in charge.

He needs a full pre season with Howe imo 

6 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Did Howe say why he replaced him and not Murphy? I wanted Wilson on but for Murphy rather then Gordon,he was flying down the left 

Nothing specific other than “someone needed to be sacrificed”. Because the intention was to move Isak left, it could only really be Gordon with how Murphy has played on the right of late.

Thought it was the right call at the time and it was fully vindicated in the second half.

Not sure I agree with those saying he was by far the bets player in the first half, you don't be by far the best and get taken off at half time (he ended the half on the right so Murphy could have been taken off if Gordon was that good)

I thought he did okay in moments and should have scored/assisted with the chances he had 

Overall I'd say he's been okay, nothing special but anyone writing him off is being very hasty, Howe has barely worked with him so only fair to give him that opportunity. We often see with Pep/City how players (especially attacking players) don't start to play at their best until the second season and I don't see this being any different

If this time next year Gordon is as he is now then I'd be concerned