Anthony Gordon

Jack27

3 minutes ago, Shak said:

My concern is that for the money we paid he looks a lot like a pretty limited player that is going to work hard and put in a shift but not a whole lot more than that. Hasn't been a single moment from him where I've felt we've got a glimpse of some massive potential hiding underneath. Didn't look particularly confident with either of his chances, doesn't look like he's got some outstanding dribbling ability.

This nails it for me.  All the talk of untapped potential feels like blind optimism.  Gordon becoming a player who can deliver to the standard we are looking to reach is far from a certainty.  Couple that in with what he brings straight away (his poor record for attacking contributions) and I just cannot fathom why we've used so much of our budget on him midway through the season.

Edited by David Edgar

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

Pedro? 

Wasn't he injured?

To be honest I suspect we wanted Maddison but he decided to wait until the summer to see what his options were.

1 minute ago, David Edgar said:

He hasn't scored or assisted since October.  His expecter goals and expected assists for the last 365 days are on the floor.  Really confusing January signing.

I noticed you weren't around much at all when we were thumping teams.

An ordinary first half and you're everywhere having a melt down about everything again.

You're a very strange guy.

4 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

I had taken a bit of a step back from posting on match days for my mental health as the people who disagreed with me being so direct and insulting were really taking their toll.

I'll stop voicing my opinions again.

Maybe try posting when things are going well too, so you don't come across so badly. It is grating.

3 minutes ago, Deuce said:

The only correct answer.

They’d not have spent as much as they did if they thought he was a part-time, Champo-level player.

Left to some 'supporters' they'd sooner see the guy driven out of the club after a few months, just to make themselves feel better.

Never satisfied unless there is someone to denigrate and pile on. So fucking toxic man.

You're building a straw man argument there. 

His end product was poor today and contributed to us being behind (in that he clearly isn't fluid in our system and the team suffered as a result).  We took him off and the team improved massively.  

People have concerns that he isn't at the quality to contribute now and that he never will be.  That doesn't mean people don't want him to succeed and that they want to see "the guy driven out of the club". 

People can also use a public forum to express this displeasure or frustration at the team or players when things aren't going well.

Edited by David Edgar

Started well with some good runs and moves. Missed a sitter, got out thought by their defenders as the game progressed, moved to the right where he didn't do much. Not terrible, not great and probably not ready to start for us yet tbf.

As I’ve said before, how people can offer judgement on this kid already after seeing the vast improvement of players under this management as time has gone on is mental to me. 

He’s had such limited minutes, and he was lively for the first 20 mins today. Linked up well with Isak a couple of times by making good runs that he got on the end of, had that have gone in off the post no one would question him this afternoon. Fine margins between emotions swinging one way or the other for some. For me it’s a mental thing, when he’s had minutes he’s lacked composure because he seems so desperate to impress and get a goal/assist for himself.. looks like he’s feeling the pressure a bit to me. He probably reads what the fans are saying and wants to prove himself. Outside of that, if you can’t see the natural ability and potential here then you don’t know what you are looking at. I have massive faith he will come good, probably next season when he will get more game time due to the European fixtures. 

Edited by Nine

He needs to be restricted to sub appearances for the rest of the season and then get a full pre-season under his belt here. I think that will help him a lot. More than anything at the moment he lacks the intensity and concentration required to help the team function well.

Surely people aren’t writing him off already, they’ve seen what Howe has done with Joe and Longstaff?

He’ll come good, but I think he’s fortunate that we are on such a good run that we don’t need him firing on all cylinders yet.