Anthony Gordon

Jack27

2 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

I have faith he’ll come good. Maybe Eddie will need a pre-season to work his magic in him but he’ll get there.

I've backed him all the way and still do, but he was off it today and rightly replaced at half time. It doesn't mean he's a bad player, but he wasn't on it today. It's as simple as that.

He was our best player in the first half. Great pressing, some good passes. Made good runs, supported burn well. Should have put that one away but to be fair it’s a few inches away from being in the bottom corner. People need to chill out. He’s had what 3 starts for us now? I’m sure if he stays on and Murphy goes off, he gets an assist or goal and we aren’t having this conversation. It came down to a decision out of respect for Murphys recent form. 

We have basically secured a CL spot with a 3-1 comeback win at home…and people want to moan about a young player who has had 3 starts and a few cameos from the bench. 

ENJOY. I guess when we have no problems, we focus on small things. Such is life. A season or two ago it was staying in the prem. Now it’s the price we paid for a player who has barely had a chance. 

don’t you guys remember Joelinton? Almiron? You’d think we would learn our lessons and not get on a young players back after such a small sample size. 

The optics of today are bad for him.

He missed a one on one, at times looked easy to shut down, and we went in a goal down with him on the field. This is probably the first transfer where I’m thinking “trust Howe and Ashworth”. 

I’m certainly seeing glimmers of a player; he’s set up chances, made good runs, connected passes well, but glimmers is the bare minimum I’d expect. All that said, I think he’s in the same boat as Elliot Anderson and even Miggy when he joined. Both are trying hard to make an impact but they’re forcing it a bit. I think when that first goal comes - and it will - we will start to see a more relaxed and accurate representation of where they’re at. 

It’s not that he’s destined to succeed (the club will continue to sign duffers even with new owners) but at least we’ll have a better idea of judging once that burden is lifted. 

I have no idea how anyone can say he was the best player, like. All 3 of the best opportunities to either score or assist fell to him and he fluffed all of them. He was involved rather than good. He got the best of Lyanco a couple of times and then Lycano had the measure of him. I think there's probably a good reason why Howe took him off and not Murphy, yer kna. 

People calling him poor are wrong, he was one of if not the brightest spark for most of the 1st half, the reason he got subbbed was that he just wasnt playing the patterns at all. 

You could see players getting frustrated with him for making his own decision instead of what is usually done by the team in certain positions, he'll get there and will be an asset once he does!

In his career to date what he has lacked has been end product. He's always looked lively.

It's hardly a shock that that's exactly what he has lacked for us, end product. 

At this moment, we look a better team when he isn't on the pitch. But it'll come. Eddie will work with him and improve that part of his game, but we probably won't see the benefit of that this season. 

Edited by Sean

As I said earlier in the first half, I thought he played well and could have easily had an assist or a goal to his name. He was actually our only threat in the first half. 

My opinion hasn’t changed since when we were first linked with him. He’s a solid addition to the team with potential to be a good Premier League player for many years. But he doesn’t look to have the qualities to become an elite player (I hope I’m proven wrong with a pre season under Eddie and the team).

He’s also not helped by the transfer fee, but that’s an English league issue where it takes more money to buy decent players because most top flight clubs are financially secure and don’t need to sell. I mean the difference in quality from Isak compared to Gordon for what a £15m ish difference in price tag is quite stark - that’s not meant to be a dig at Gordon in any way.

Feel a bit sorry for him. He clearly needs a run in the team to build his confidence, and get to know the play and the team properly.

But he's been getting odd minutes off the bench, and starting today, he missed a couple, but then we went a goal down, and he was taken off. Probably feels a bit of a scapegoat, but the team didn't play well first half, and the goal came from a Bruno error.

Need him to score or us to be winning/playing well when he starts, so he can get that longer pitch time, with less pressure (on him).

Edited by TK-421

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Honestly if that was Isak in the first half people would have been claiming he terrorised the Southampton defence. He played really well [emoji38]

I think really well is a bit over the top. He was very involved, willing, worked hard, etc. However, he was quite predictable IMO and figured out by the defenders pretty quickly. If that chance goes in it's a different story of course, but it didn't.

Haven’t seen him play today, sounds like there were lots of positives among the negatives. Got no concerns whatsoever about Eddie getting the best out of him. Think he’ll score a lot of goals for us by running onto balls over the top / through balls, once he gains more confidence and better decision making with his finishing 

Just now, M1tche said:

People calling him poor are wrong, he was one of if not the brightest spark for most of the 1st half, the reason he got subbbed was that he just wasnt playing the patterns at all. 

You could see players getting frustrated with him for making his own decision instead of what is usually done by the team in certain positions, he'll get there and will be an asset once he does!

Poor is subjective and I'd say he certainly had poor moments: the shot from the low success position wide left and then just trying the same switch to the left and sprint on the defenders.

Your observation about him not playing the system sounds like it is really on the money and is what I was getting at with how we needed him subbed off to get back into the game.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

I think really well is a bit over the top. He was very involved, willing, worked hard, etc. However, he was quite predictable IMO and figured out by the defenders pretty quickly. If that chance goes in it's a different story of course, but it didn't.

Margins, it’ll come. Think they will bulk him up a bit over the summer too.