Anthony Gordon

Jack27

2 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

Third most assists in the Premier League last season.

If you go back and look at his assists, they aren't a result of him being a creative player. Either easy lay offs after working hard for the ball or whipped crosses for the most part.

Didn't he win almost as many penalties as he got assists? If they counted as assists his numbers would have looked absolutely ridiculous, but he do fall over easy to win them many times, hence my comment.

This isn't intended to shit on him before any white knights chirps in. He's a great player. He just isn't what I consider a creative player.

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

they aren't a result of him being a creative player. Either easy lay offs after working hard for the ball or whipped crosses for the most part.

That's literally being a creative player. :lol:

If you go back and look at his assists, they aren't a result of him being a creative player. Either easy lay offs after working hard for the ball or whipped crosses for the most part.

Didn't he win almost as many penalties as he got assists? If they counted as assists his numbers would have looked absolutely ridiculous, but he do fall over easy to win them many times, hence my comment.

This isn't intended to shit on him before any white knights chirps in. He's a great player. He just isn't what I consider a creative player.

I'd need to look back at his penalties, but I don't remember him diving. He's just sharper and gets in ahead of people. I think it's a harsh criticism.

I also think you might have a narrow definition of creativity. He creates goals, entirely from open play as well. 

When I think of creative players it's the Bruno types who can split open a defence with a pass nobody else sees or predicts, or dribbles past players in unconventional ways like Isak and HBA.

Maybe I do have a narrow definition of what creativity means, or just very high standards :lol:

Nothing to see here. I love Gordon.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Maybe I do have a narrow definition of what creativity means, or just very high standards

Yeah, think that's what it is. Ultimately there's many ways to be creative. Can slide a pass through a defence, or can run into the box at pass and force a pen or pass the ball across the face. Are some more aesthetically pleasing? Totally. But you can't argue with Gordon's effectiveness.

When I think of creative players it's the Bruno types who can split open a defence with a pass nobody else sees or predicts, or dribbles past players in unconventional ways like Isak and HBA.

Maybe I do have a narrow definition of what creativity means, or just very high standards :lol:

Nothing to see here. I love Gordon.

It's hard for players playing as forwards to dribble past a few players or play defence-splitting through balls, because they're so far forward anyway. Quite simply there's nobody to play forward to, and if they dribble past a couple of players they're probably clean through on goal and will shoot.

Isak had one crazy assist against Everton (I refuse to acknowledge the official line of it not being an assist) but to do that he started on the half way line. Aside from that, I can't recall anything that fits your criteria from him either.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

It's hard for players playing as forwards to dribble past a few players or play defence-splitting through balls, because they're so far forward anyway. Quite simply there's nobody to play forward to, and if they dribble past a couple of players they're probably clean through on goal and will shoot.

Isak had one crazy assist against Everton (I refuse to acknowledge the official line of it not being an assist) but to do that he started on the half way line. Aside from that, I can't recall anything that fits your criteria from him either.

Gordon’s assist at anfield for Isak was a combination of dribbling + defence splitting pass. 

3 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Through ball to Barnes against West Ham last season f.ex.

7 hours ago, Conjo said:

So you don’t think being that constant outlet then often gathering the ball, driving down the left putting them on the back foot before making space to either get a shot off or assisting someone else isn’t being creative. What do you want him to do, stop and bake a cake whilst doing it?