Anthony Gordon

Jack27

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You expected 0 goals, 0 assists and behind Muphy, Almiron, Joe & Isak out wide?

Bit of a weird question. I didn’t expect any particular number of goals or assists. And I didn’t expect him to become a first team regular at any specific point in time. 

I just don’t think what he’s done so far has been unusually bad. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Everyone moaning about him needs to remember when Wilson was shit about 2 months ago and now everything he touches goes into the back of the net. 

Gordon has left his home town club, a club in which he grew up and developed in, moved away from his family and left the club in somewhat horrible circumstances. They hate him now. 

He's just turned 22 and he's now playing - not as the golden home grown boy who's come through the academy to save Everton's season but as a 45 million pound winger for a CL chasing Saudi state owned huge billionaire pound rich club in which he hasn't even had a pre season. 

Seriously the load on that boy at the moment must be massive. It's a huge adjustment! Imagine being bought for 45 millions pounds? It's mental. Willock took a good season to settle up here and he was the same age. 

Give the boy a break and let him make mistakes. He's not the finished article. Trust in Howe! He knows more about football that you do! 

Edited by Lish007

I won’t write him off and he might very well come good next season. However I think it was the wrong signing at the time. We should have gone for someone that could come in more or less straight away. Especially when considering the money. To help us now, and not until next season.

Edited by Ikon

23 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I won’t write him off and he might very well come good next season. However I think it was the wrong signing at the time. We should have gone for someone that could come in more or less straight away. Especially when considering the money. To help us now, and not until next season.

I’m not sure it works like that though. It wasn’t a choice between those two options. One player we liked became available, so we went for him. I’d like to think it wasn’t at the cost of another signing. 

Similar to the criticisms levelled at Willock earlier in the season and at Trippier's set plays re assists, I take much more issue with the players not finishing off the big chances when the assister has done their job.

By my reckoning Gordon should have at least 2 assists, both messed up by Wilson when he was out of form. Gordon's done nothing yet to make me think he should have done much more at this stage.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not sure it works like that though. It wasn’t a choice between those two options. One player we liked became available, so we went for him. I’d like to think it wasn’t at the cost of another signing. 

Fair enough. Personally I would have gone for a player with more proven end product. I’m sure we could have got that without it being too difficult. 

He's a winger who relies on speed, he doesn't have a trick and isn't a great dribbler. He's very poor man's Harvey Barnes who also beat's defenders with his pace but who has excellent stats for goals and assists. We could buy Barnes for less than Gordon today and well might if Leicester go down.

52 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not at all, his technique is absolutely excellent. 

Out of curiosity, who else has absolutely excellent technique? If Gordon’s is excellent, how would Bernardo Silva’s technique be described? To me Gordon has very average technique for a player in his position. We need wingers that have creativity to compete with the best of the best, I don’t see how anyone see’s this potential in Gordon.

Anthony Gordon had played 800 minutes of Premier League football and scored no professional goals when Eddie Howe was appointed Newcastle manager, which belies the idea that he'd wanted him for years and finally got his man. Since Gordon became a Premier League regular at the start of the 21/22 season he has managed a goal or assist every 421 minutes, whereas Adam Armstrong in at least an equally poor situation for Southampton has managed a goal or assist every 389 minutes. Far from being overburdened with pressure, rarely can less have been expected of a £40 million player who apparently wasn't supposed to start games, provide any assists, or score any goals. He's currently our seventh-choice wide player, which is generous because he's unfairly limiting the appearances of Elliot Anderson. And as a Scouser he's probably already past his physical peak, just like Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Neil Mellor, Jack Rodwell, and Ross Barkley before him.

5 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

Anthony Gordon had played 800 minutes of Premier League football and scored no professional goals when Eddie Howe was appointed Newcastle manager, which belies the idea that he'd wanted him for years and finally got his man. Since Gordon became a Premier League regular at the start of the 21/22 season he has managed a goal or assist every 421 minutes, whereas Adam Armstrong in at least an equally poor situation for Southampton has managed a goal or assist every 389 minutes. Far from being overburdened with pressure, rarely can less have been expected of a £40 million player who apparently wasn't supposed to start games, provide any assists, or score any goals. He's currently our seventh-choice wide player, which is generous because he's unfairly limiting the appearances of Elliot Anderson. And as a Scouser he's probably already past his physical peak, just like Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Neil Mellor, Jack Rodwell, and Ross Barkley before him.

Don't forget Jeffers

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2023 at 14:59, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not at all, his technique is absolutely excellent. 

His technique is impeccable. His defense is impregnable. He wants to eat their hearts! - Mike Tyson

All jokes aside I am very happy with the signing. He's barely played and when he has, he has shown really good qualities. I think he has loads of potential and I want to suspend judgement until he's had a full pre-season and had the magic wand of Howe cast a spell like +10 on all abilities. 

I have a gut feeling that the same people criticizing him will one day be very happy with him as a hard working, talented player who can play in many roles and gets stuck in every single time. If he finds a new gear and has some end product I think we will look back at the price tag as a bargain.

Lets wait and see. 

Find the judgement of this lad insane. Someone was even saying we should try to sell him after 6 months!

Let's see what he does after a pre-season with Howe and the squad. I have a feeling he's going to be fucking excellent next season.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Been a while since we had a regular in the Under 21s. Used to watch them regularly when we had Shola, Milner, Ambrose, Taylor representing. Can't even think of an Under 21 international since Taylor other than maybe Woodman?

Carroll? 

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

He'll make a cracking LB for us in a year or so. 

I've actually thought of this myself. He would make an incredible LWB in an emergency situation