Anthony Gordon

Jack27

4 hours ago, McDog said:

He's been there in Eddie's setup. I personally think he's fine there.

Yep - we are well covered on the left with Barnes - The Joes and Anderson, that’s not to say Gordon can’t play there either - his flexibility is invaluable 

Love this lad, been the brightest spark this year and has the potential to be a NUFC legend if he continues to develop. Not an overstatement.

Edited by Amir_9

He’d give Constitution Hill a race this season. Phenomenal.

Part of me hopes Southgate is as thick as he looks to date and leaves him out the squad in the summer so he can rest every muscle and joint in his body. 

1 hour ago, Aiston said:

Two absolute sitters missed.

Scored two though. And his effort in extra time was decent IMO, it's a terrific save and Longstaff should have put away the rebound.

What a signing he has been, by far our player of the season. We would have been absolutely fucked without him. 

That sequence when he tracked back to win the ball tells us all we need to know about him tbh

Wonder if Rashford does that backtracking? Really harsh if he's left out of the Euros but would definitely be good for us. Although doubt he would play much in any case due to the aforementioned Rashford. :lol:

Certainly my player of the season. Only vague competition I can think of would be Bruno (can you imagine where we'd be without him in our midfield three?) and Schar at a push.

Definitely don’t want Slothgate picking him for the March round of internationals. Him and Isak need to rest up for two weeks and go again for the last dozen or so games of the season.

3 hours ago, 80 said:

Certainly my player of the season. Only vague competition I can think of would be Bruno (can you imagine where we'd be without him in our midfield three?) and Schar at a push.

Yep, I feel like that’s the fairly clear 1,2,3.

He now has that rare blend of pace, graft and attacking output.

He must be close to our fastest player and you certainly can’t fault his workrate. That corner in extra time where he got back 50 yards or so to stop a counter. Was still sprinting full tilt after 100 odd minutes. 

His numbers are really good this season and all. 9 goals and is it 6 or 7 assists in all comps? Plus the penalties he’s won. 

Despite his numbers, his only real weakness I have noticed is his finishing. I’m sure he has had plenty of one on ones this season and even a few last season. Where he never looks confident or like he has worked an angle. Ends up going safe a lot of the time, or worse. Sort of rushes it and snatches at it a bit. 

Hard to criticise him at all. As he’s definitely been our best player. He’s available all the while and has been our work horse this season. Whilst consistently contributing with goals and assists. 

Just now, Aiston said:

No? 

Just a criticism during the game? 

fair enough. 

just reading the forum today... its just negativity after negativity.

I have a feeling we'll get some honesty from him (and maybe others) sometime between July-September that they never really recovered from the middle of the season. I think he's one of a few that are physically and mentally exhausted, but hopefully they can give one last push with less games and a bit of rotation.

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Despite his numbers, his only real weakness I have noticed is his finishing. I’m sure he has had plenty of one on ones this season and even a few last season. Where he never looks confident or like he has worked an angle. Ends up going safe a lot of the time, or worse. Sort of rushes it and snatches at it a bit. 

Can only go off personally playing the game, but when I’ve been running hard, when I’ve then had a one on one chance, my legs always feel that bit heavier than normal to strike the ball/make the right decision. 

So not sure if that’s a similar factor for Gordon? Where he’s emptying the tank, on the high limit, and when he breaks through just a bit too gassed to execute the finish. 

Main thing for now, he’s making those runs and getting those chances. Hopefully as we progress as a side, he’s not needing to empty his tank and can be fresher when going through one on one.

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

He now has that rare blend of pace, graft and attacking output.

He must be close to our fastest player and you certainly can’t fault his workrate. That corner in extra time where he got back 50 yards or so to stop a counter. Was still sprinting full tilt after 100 odd minutes. 

His numbers are really good this season and all. 9 goals and is it 6 or 7 assists in all comps? Plus the penalties he’s won. 

Hard to criticise him at all. As he’s definitely been our best player. He’s available all the while and has been our work horse this season. Whilst consistently contributing with goals and assists. 

I'd like to see him go outside his man once in a while, probably mentioned this before somewhere as well. He seems to cut in every time, very effectively at times, just think maybe defenders are starting to wise up to it now. Other than that, no complaints at all, he's been exemplary, especially given how much has been asked of him physically.