Newcastle United 2-1 Southampton - Tell me Ma, me Ma, I won't be home for tea... (31/01/2023)

Disco

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think there's still a large element of the more vocal support being kept out since giving up season-tickets in protest of Ashley, and a large section of fans who were happy to go along with those days still occupying those seats.

Completely true. And there is going to need to be a big rethink by the club on how to turn this around. If they expand the Gallowgate to Level 7 then there has to be a big resuffle of season ticket holders and the entire existing Gallowgate below Level 7 to be made into a safe-standing singing end. As a fanbase our songbook is dreadful at home and a newly created Kop end can help remedy that.

12 minutes ago, gdm said:

Was surprised how flat it was. Even at 1 & 2 nil it seemed very flat 

In the gallowgate it was very good imo until they scored . I think then it’s the nerves we have one if the oldest average age crowds iirc - I’m 42 and I sing and get into it but not like I used to if I’m honest. One of the negatives to our loyalty over the years is that there’s less radge younguns than other clubs and there’s (strawberry corner aside) not as many focal points for them to congregate as in the past . 

anyway we did it.  The Newcastle way granted - nee good for my heart / blood pressure that …

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Do wonder if we might be jumping the shark a bit with the atmosphere stuff with a random DJ playing club music half an hour before kick off and the PA guy reading out poetry in a couple of recent games

Just let it build naturally with the flags and stuff it will be fine

DJ was ridiculous, song on full time equally so and that image on the scoreboard looked like something created on MS Publisher 95 at 10 mins notice. As you say, let it build naturally.

Guest reefatoon
8 minutes ago, McDog said:

Got back home and just finished watching the second half. What the hell happened to Bruno? That was for sure a straight red. That is not what was needed.

Tripps and Schar tried to calm him down and then he gets tossed off the pitch. Hope this is a learning experience for him. That was terrible.

What a wanker

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

It gives us a chance to get Joelinton back in the middle and an actual attacking player wide left, of course we will miss Bruno but it’s balanced out a little I think.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

Be loads of talk about our mega rich owners, but it didn't take mad Saudi cash to get us to a cup final. What a couple of wasted decades. Fuck it though, howay.

Said it a few times, to win something now would be fucking glorious, for obvious reasons but also so people couldn't use the the 'YOU BOUGHT IT ALL WITH BLOOD MONEY' shite. 

Naturally, due to our owners and the fact every fucker else does it, we'll spend a lot in the coming years but I'd absolutely love to get some success before then so it doesn't take away from the work Eddie and the lads have done. 

1 hour ago, Billy Warthog said:

Bitter-sweet win for me.

During half time, I got the news of one of my most fervent Toon-supporting mates had passed away. Rather stunned now. Was only with him at the Southampton 4-1 league game a couple of months ago. We’re both exiles and hence didn’t see each other that often, but we’ve been to several away games and I’ve known him for decades. Fuck…

Feel so sorry that he’s not going to see the next chapters of his beloved Newcastle United. He would have enjoyed tonight. Won’t be quite the same again.

Final whistle had me in tears… 😞

Terrible to hear. So sorry to hear of your mate. I've lost two the last couple of years.

19 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

In the gallowgate it was very good imo until they scored . I think then it’s the nerves we have one if the oldest average age crowds iirc - I’m 42 and I sing and get into it but not like I used to if I’m honest. One of the negatives to our loyalty over the years is that there’s less radge younguns than other clubs and there’s (strawberry corner aside) not as many focal points for them to congregate as in the past . 

anyway we did it.  The Newcastle way granted - nee good for my heart / blood pressure that …

Wouldn’t disagree. Fans tried but it was very nervy 

1 minute ago, Bellis80 said:

Would love to know what other grounds people have been to for our atmosphere to be considered so shit we need to do something drastic. It’s at least as good as anywhere.

That’s because the home atmosphere at most PL grounds is shit too. But that doesn’t mean we should accept it. 

I have a strong feeling that a SJP expansion is going to be announced soon. And we need to make sure that a major reorganisation of fans is done while it happens because once all fans are in place after the expansion it will be impossible to shift them.

The idiot who is in charge of the PA needs to get the chop too. Drop all the music and let an actual football atmosphere build & climax naturally. The fucking idiot even spoiled the final whistle atmosphere by playing que sera at 1 million decibels. I swear he would play music throughout the entire game if he could, the prick.

1 hour ago, Billy Warthog said:

Bitter-sweet win for me.

During half time, I got the news of one of my most fervent Toon-supporting mates had passed away. Rather stunned now. Was only with him at the Southampton 4-1 league game a couple of months ago. We’re both exiles and hence didn’t see each other that often, but we’ve been to several away games and I’ve known him for decades. Fuck…

Feel so sorry that he’s not going to see the next chapters of his beloved Newcastle United. He would have enjoyed tonight. Won’t be quite the same again.

Final whistle had me in tears… 😞

Very sad. This win was for him. What was his name? Let’s celebrate the win and his life. 

6 minutes ago, Wandy said:

That’s because the home atmosphere at most PL grounds is shit too. But that doesn’t mean we should accept it. 

I have a strong feeling that a SJP expansion is going to be announced soon. And we need to make sure that a major reorganisation of fans is done while it happens because once all fans are in place after the expansion it will be impossible to shift them.

The idiot who is in charge of the PA needs to get the chop too. Drop all the music and let an actual football atmosphere build & climax naturally. The fucking idiot even spoiled the final whistle atmosphere by playing que sera at 1 million decibels. I swear he would play music throughout the entire game if he could, the prick.

The club are aware of this BTW and I think he’ll get the boot soon.

6 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Spot on. Done all prem away grounds and lond you say we dont have to put up with up. Lets get safe standing...

31 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Completely true. And there is going to need to be a big rethink by the club on how to turn this around. If they expand the Gallowgate to Level 7 then there has to be a big resuffle of season ticket holders and the entire existing Gallowgate below Level 7 to be made into a safe-standing singing end. As a fanbase our songbook is dreadful at home and a newly created Kop end can help remedy that.

Fucking got to be. Trust should be l over this...i think this should ne top of the list

Re the comments about atmosphere, my usual seat is in the Milburn 2 blocks up from the gallowgate corner flag, generally feels subdued.  

I could only manage to get me and the bairn at the back of level 7 tonight, leazes West corner, first time since I had me seat there when it was the singing section and to be honest, we enjoyed it.  Standing for the most part, plenty of singing, counteracting their lot when they tried to make a bit of noise, other than an (understandably) edgy 20/25 mins in the 2nd half I couldn't fault it. 

Anyway, it could be better but it could also be a hell of a lot worse. 

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Hahahah forgot about that wanker.

@Sexy Beast your team's shite and your best ever player is a buck toothed Tory arsehole

Daft cunt probably won’t come back on here but I’ll laugh at the sad twat anyway