Newcastle United 2-1 Southampton - Tell me Ma, me Ma, I won't be home for tea... (31/01/2023)

Disco

Sure I’d love our first trophy that we win to the champions league but I’m not going to turn my nose up to a league cup. It’s amazing that we’re in a final for the first time in 24 years, let’s enjoy it and enjoy the fact we have a team that can genuinely go into any match with the expectation of winning it 

40 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Ankles, oh Ankles… wish I could post a video I took—whole sea of swirling scarves and flags during Thunderstruck (…what an experience/thing to behold)—you’d be jogging around with pride and screaming like Brian Johnson! 

I did all that when we won the Fairs Cup in 69!

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Sure I’d love our first trophy that we win to the champions league but I’m not going to turn my nose up to a league cup. It’s amazing that we’re in a final for the first time in 24 years, let’s enjoy it and enjoy the fact we have a team that can genuinely go into any match with the expectation of winning it 

It wasn’t as much the cup he mentioned, it was more the old “ohh we will probably get beat anyway” shite. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d2b0a780e188415ebffa388afc99821c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

I did all that when we won the Fairs Cup in 69!

The Fairs Cup, a bit ”tin pot”, no? 😉Hadn’t even become the proper UEFA cup back then

Edited by Collage

28 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

The amount of lads waiting for a “shit” at the match too.

Seen a couple of scrotes at the 1/4 final doing toot in the bogs, they didn't even bother going in a cubicle, while their primary school age kids were stood on the concourse waiting for them

Was anyone else really disappointed in the subs last night? They were good calls from Howe but I just thought the triple sub didn't add any energy to the team. Isak & ASM had a couple of nice touches but struggled to get into it even before Bruno's red. Felt like the pressing just dropped off a cliff too, bar one or two sprints from them. The second half was a strange one overall though, guess that's just cup football.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

1 hour ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Sorry but completely underwhelmed by this. To me the Carabao cup is a tin pot cup where most of the top 6 play their second string in the early rounds. I can't see us beating a full strength Man u in the final either. The only hope is that they target a top 4 slot and play a weakened side, but even then they have strength in ddepth so I can't get carried away when the likely outcome is yet another cup final defeat. Sorry but just being realistic!!

We're of the same vintage, but I'm as excited as hell.

In Nick Hornby's book, he described us as a 'habitually poor side', and that really stung because it was true. Apart from two brief flourishes under Keegan and Robson, we have been habitually poor. Even under those two managers, we didn't win anything.

But I just feel that this team, under this manager, has a different mentality. They play without fear. The game was won in the first 20 minutes last night, when despite the pressure of the occasion, we ripped the opposition apart. I'm relishing the final, and I'm glad it's Man U. It's a chance to put to bed all those ghosts of past failure, and I can see them doing it.

It’s laughable how long this club has gone without a trophy considering how many other clubs have spawned a result over the years. No way am I going to get in a twist about which cup it is if we do. I’ll probably be halfway to the moon by then anyway

Fucking domestic cup final and there are some negative Nancy's.

Howay lads, really.

We're going to wembley and for the first time in what feels like forever, we're not total shit!

Cup win, can feel it in my middle aged not seen a fairs cup win bones.

1 hour ago, NEEJ said:

I was creasing, like. Just assumed you were absolutely steaming and/or full of adrenaline. That said, I'm glad I wasn't in those front few rows of that block. :lol:

Adrenaline tbh mate (and several beers). Think I misjudged the size of that flag too :lol:

In many years’ time - if we’ve got a boatload of PL titles and FA & European Cups in the cabinet - then, and only then, people have permission to call the League Cup ‘tinpot’.  Until that day, I suggest those who wish to call it ‘tinpot’ remind themselves we’ve won the grand total of sweet FA in over half a century, wind their neck accordingly, and smile like a wanking chimp like the rest of us

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

In many years’ time - if we’ve got a boatload of PL titles and FA & European Cups in the cabinet - then, and only then, people have permission to call the League Cup ‘tinpot’.  Until that day, I suggest those who wish to call it ‘tinpot’ remind themselves we’ve won the grand total of sweet FA in over half a century, wind their neck accordingly, and smile like a wanking chimp like the rest of us

The League Cup is not a tinpot cup. It’s been apart of the calendar for longer than most European Cups. Teams of bigger clubs call it tinpot so they can excuse themselves for when they don’t win it and when they field weakened teams in it.

Over the moon to be through to the final. Regarding the atmosphere, brilliant scenes before and for the first 20 minutes it sounded pretty good but it sounded so flat at times on the TV that even the comms pointed it out. You could say it was because of the strange circumstances of the tie being all but over after 20 minutes but more likely it's the long standing problem we have of not enough radgie younguns inside and allowed to congregate. I might be wrong but I don't think I heard one single chorus of the Blaydon races all night, certainly not the full ground full voice bellowing out you would expect for such an important occasion.

34 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Was anyone else really disappointed in the subs last night? They were good calls from Howe but I just thought the triple sub didn't add any energy to the team. Isak & ASM had a couple of nice touches but struggled to get into it even before Bruno's red. Felt like the pressing just dropped off a cliff too, bar one or two sprints from them. The second half was a strange one overall though, guess that's just cup football.

I think the lack of press was purely down to having ten men.  I honestly thought they were the correct subs at the time and actually thought we could get another couple of goals with the pace Eddie brought on.  However with ten men then it was going to be a struggle.  I think we have to give Southampton credit also for changing their shape and pushing further up the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The League Cup is not a tinpot cup. It’s been apart of the calendar for longer than most European Cups. Teams of bigger clubs call it tinpot so they can excuse themselves for when they don’t win it and when they field weakened teams in it.

I don’t think it’s tin pot either, but all three original European competitions are older than the League Cup