[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

44 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Karius, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn, Longstaff. Bruno, Joelinton, Almiron, Isak, ASM

Subs: Gillespie, Ashby, Lascelles, Targett, Willock, Wilson, Murphy, Fraser, Anderson, Ritchie. 

What a grim bench [emoji38]

I’m bloody nervous about this game already, but the fact that Moan U have two games before they play us gives me some confidence, especially as they are playing Thursday evening which is pretty damn close to the final. 

Though I would love to see us in Europe next season in some capacity I think we need to see some serious squad strengthening to compete on more than one front as I think this cup run has spread us pretty thin. 

I'm actually less nervous now because I'm less hopeful. When we got into the final I thought we had a really good chance and it was a pretty even tie. Now I see them as favourites by some way. Going in with less hope, it's more like we have nothing to lose, rather than something to throw away.

2 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

I'm actually less nervous now because I'm less hopeful. When we got into the final I thought we had a really good chance and it was a pretty even tie. Now I see them as favourites by some way. Going in with less hope, it's more like we have nothing to lose, rather than something to throw away.

Weirdly this .

Expectations were through the roof, now we are all thinking the worst. Go and enjoy it , you never know.

Strangely enough I feel more relaxed about the final now than I did, this time, yesterday. 

I was stressed tf 5pm onwards then regained my pragmatism after the 30 minute debical. 

They're "in form" (mostly Rashford obvs). 

We're not. Still creating chances tho so always capable. 

The keeper thing is woeful but Karius, has to be, can only rise to the occasion 🙏

Absolutely over the moon I'm in Bansko to watch it so I can avoid the misery if we lose......again.

1 hour ago, GWN said:

Weirdly this .

Expectations were through the roof, now we are all thinking the worst. Go and enjoy it , you never know.

Yesterday should be a major warning for Howe and the coaches. Manyoo are nothing but a counter attacking team again as they were under Solksjaer, but with Rashford in this form they're very good at it indeed.

I think they'll be looking to exploit our press and go over/between the two CBs at every opportunity. We need to plan for that somehow.

10 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

This argument is starting to wear a little IMO. We were wide open defensively today and in the previous 2 games conceded soft goals from corners.

If we’re ”wide open” in the final, then that’s the problem, regardless of GK

12 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

I know zero about Karius apart from that he hasn’t played for ages, has he looked decent in the past?

He was class until the Champions League final, but it's a bit like saying Ayrton Senna was class until San Marino.

Playing on the counter might not be the worst strategy for us. Suits Maxi, suits Isak and prevents them countering us.

We aren't in a position to go toe to toe with them but also don't under estimate Brunos impact on our side.

7 minutes ago, STM said:

Playing on the counter might not be the worst strategy for us. Suits Maxi, suits Isak and prevents them countering us.

We aren't in a position to go toe to toe with them but also don't under estimate Brunos impact on our side.

Interesting to see if he plays Jow on the left and brings Joe back in to the middle. Maxi brings a lot to the side when he plays like yesterday but there’s no getting away from the fact we’ve looked far more vulnerable in recent weeks.

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Entirely untrue. :lol:

Aye, sadly you’re a very competent side all of a sudden. Casemiro has transformed you, along with Rashford’s goal scoring form. I know you love Fernandes too and he’s clearly absolute quality despite being a total nobhead. You’re going in as clear favourites now that Pope is out but I reckon the match will be played at a really fast tempo and hang on the quality of finishing on the day 

11 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Aye, sadly you’re a very competent side all of a sudden. Casemiro has transformed you, along with Rashford’s goal scoring form. I know you love Fernandes too and he’s clearly absolute quality despite being a total nobhead. You’re going in as clear favourites now that Pope is out but I reckon the match will be played at a really fast tempo and hang on the quality of finishing on the day 

'All of a sudden' - they added £220m worth of players to what was already one of the most expensive squads in the world. :lol:

3rd and beating us next week should be the absolute minimum for them.

Edited by Optimistic Nut