Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

21 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Terrible game. Waste of time. Play like that in the final and it'll be a massacre. 

We’re in a final, fourth in the league and a lot of players running on fumes right about now. How about being proud of what this group have achieved this season ffs

I want to be annoyed but then I remember we’re 16 unbeaten and it kind of dissipates.

First ten minutes we were great, then we let Rice take the piss, and the the last 30 we were the better team. Who knows how things would’ve panned out had Bruno and Isak been available, but at the end of the day we’re on an absolutely ridiculous run given where we were  twelve months ago.

Biggest disappointment for me is that ASM didn’t take his chance. Potential game winner and he was dog shit. 

Pope 6 - they had one shot on target and it went in, he had nowt to do otherwise.

Trippier 6 - slightly below par but still very tidy overall, penalised a bit due to the goal.

Schär 7 - had a good battle with Antonio but got to grips with him, could've done more in possession.

Botman 7 - stood up to Antonio very well, but offered even less in possession than Schär.

Burn 5 - one of those games where he stands out like a sore thumb offensively, and missed the ball on the goal.

Willock 6 - different story if that first goal stands, but didn't gel very well with Miggy and Trippier when on the right.

Longstaff 7 - easily the pick of the midfield three, cracking assist, and never shied away. 0 tackles and 0 interceptions yet again, though.

Joelinton 6 - started brilliantly but got dragged down to the levels around him, and lost the ball too often.

Almirón 6 - really busy and retained the ball well, but in terms of attacking threat he was pretty non-existent.

Wilson 7 - got his goal but should've had at least one more, though his all-round play was better than it has been for a while.

Saint-Maximin 5 - Gordon showed him up something rotten tonight offensively, but he at least put a shift in and contributed defensively.

--

Gordon 8 - quality impact, looked razor sharp and linked well with teammates given he'll have only had one full training session.

Murphy 6 - about as Murphy a cameo as could've happened, some canny and some downright bad.

Anderson 6 - got on the ball and tried to make things happen, didn't really look out of place.

Like others said Miggy benefits big time from Bruno being on the pitch, he links with with him or Trippier best. I think teams have adapted to deal with him though, he is a more predictable player. 

Wilson chance ugh. He makes a great first touch to bring the ball inside and then all he has to do is take another step towards the inside to put the defender completely behind him leaving him unable to make a move. Instead he chooses to bring the ball back to the right to shot with his right giving the defender the opening for the tackle.

Just now, et tu brute said:

I think you need to read Kieran McQuire's summary of FFP. Covid also had an effect which lessened losses during that period and adjusted financial figures for FFP

That’s going back to 2020-21 which will drop off eventually - and that was a £10m loss adjusted for COVID.  2021–22 wasn’t impacted by COVID and we racked up a £50m loss.  The COVID year will move off the books soon. 

Few thoughts, tad annoyed so please bear with if I'm talking shite

- We hugely miss Bruno when wanting to dictate games
- As a result, Declan Rice was head and shoulders above other midfielders on the pitch
- Yet, Wilson should score his chance and the only thing they created was their goal, a bounce from a set piece from 7 yards, and of course it had to be that goatee nonce everyone was fapping over in the summer despite us never being in for him that scored
- Gordon looked lively, direct, pacy and very unlucky not to have an assist
- 2 points from Palace and West Ham for a team chasing top 4 is shit

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Too early to tell if we're running out of steam. We had a spell like this at the start of the season where we didn't win in six and folk were moaning about the lack of attacking reinforcements in the summer.

It's the same thing every time man :lol:

7 minutes ago, Klaus said:

It is worth remembering that teams now come here to defend and frustrate, hoping for a draw. We just aren't good enough, to cope with that at home....yet.

Yes. And when that happened regularly under KK we evolved. Changing the 5-a-side short passing game to use the flanks more and a bit of directness.

We don't have options at the moment to do anything different being right at the start of the development.

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Halfway through the season and I’ve got an awful feeling teams are starting to suss us out.

Come on man. More often than not, every single team has a period over a season where they’re a bit flat. We’re having ours now and we aren’t losing, it’s a positive.

We are due to give someone a spanking soon. Keep the faith mate. We are going good. 

The next part of the season is a brand new test for our squad. The toughest one. Good thing our lads like challenges. 

We are tired and have been in a rut for a while with creating those last quality balls and finishes. We have great build up. We are due a sound beating of someone. Thought it would be today but we defaulted and took our foot off the pedal. Sides are also starting to manage our attacks and sit deep, double up. 

Gordon looks like a positive addition. It won't be long before he displaces ASM. Bruno obviously was a big miss. Not having isak to come on too.

14 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We never had top 4 guaranteed and there is no move that assures anything. Some of you lot just love to frustrate yourselves.

The same bunch that have got us here well ahead of schedule did not feel confident in any of the options in midfield available during the window, to bring in to help the team, but still the experts on here seem to know better and have something to whinge about again.

It's mostly the same bunch that where whinging and bitching about how awful a player Gordon is, and flooding his thread with post after post stating that as fact. And after merely a 15 mins cameo they are slithering around and saying something completely different now.

Some of you really need to get a grip. It's embarrassing.

Totally agree and I’m one of those slagging him off and slithering now.

Alot of our fans can fuck off mind, fucking embarassing amount of fans left before clapping players off as they walked around pitch.

Makes me laugh when people say about Man UTd, Chelsea fans, we as fickle as anyone. Less than week ago got to first final in nearly 25 years. .what do people expect man.

Or the dick heads under Ashley who said all we want is club to compete..well today we did, got point and conceded first goal in ages....

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Few thoughts, tad annoyed so please bear with if I'm talking shite

- We hugely miss Bruno when wanting to dictate games
- As a result, Declan Rice was head and shoulders above other midfielders on the pitch
- Yet, Wilson should score his chance and the only thing they created was their goal, a bounce from a set piece from 7 yards, and of course it had to be that goatee nonce everyone was fapping over in the summer despite us never being in for him that scored
- Gordon looked lively, direct, pacy and very unlucky not to have an assist
- 2 points from Palace and West Ham for a team chasing top 4 is shit

Were only chasing top 4 because we've overachieved massively in other games. This was not the goal for this squad but for that.

2points against them to finish in the top half is par for the course.

Totally agree with everything else.

For what it's worth if we actually start that game with Joelinton deepest and Willock and Longstaff further forward, I don't think they ever really come into it with that brief spell that led to their goal.

Hope for the next couple of games we continue with that setup, until Bruno is back.

9 minutes ago, Klaus said:

It is worth remembering that teams now come here to defend and frustrate, hoping for a draw. We just aren't good enough, to cope with that at home....yet.

I thought West Ham caused us more problems today in the first half than most teams do 

2 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Come on man. More often than not, every single team has a period over a season where they’re a bit flat. We’re having ours now and we aren’t losing, it’s a positive.

We are due to give someone a spanking soon. Keep the faith mate. We are going good. 

I think this is being under estimated. Under different circumstances we'd be losing these close ones instead of just drawing. It shows a lot of resolve in the lads and can only be seen as a positive.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

For what it's worth if we actually start that game with Joelinton deepest and Willock and Longstaff further forward, I don't think they ever really come into it with that brief spell that led to their goal.

Hope for the next couple of games we continue with that setup, until Bruno is back.

We'd abandoned it midway through the second half. Joelinton moved to the right with Longstaff back in the middle.

1 minute ago, NUFC91 said:

Alot of our fans can fuck off mind, fucking embarassing amount of fans left before clapping players off as they walked around pitch.

Makes me laugh when people say about Man UTd, Chelsea fans, we as fickle as anyone. Less than week ago got to first final in nearly 25 years. .what do people expect man.

Or the dick heads under Ashley who said all we want is club to compete..well today we did, got point and conceded first goal in ages....

shocking how many left when added time got announced. Them lot don’t deserve a Wembley ticket. West Ham fans quite rightly took the piss, it was shocking. 

Too many turning up expecting to win. 

With the signings we made, or didn't make, in January, top 4 has to be looked on as a bonus rather than a likelihood.

The main benefit of really going for it and strengthening last month is the likelihood that Liverpool and Chelsea surely can't be so inconsistent next season, so top 4 may be all the more difficult even with a much stronger squad. We will also likely be playing in Europe so will need more options just to stand still.

We have to avoid injuries and suspensions from now until the end of the season though and anything is possible still.