Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

meh. decent point in the end.

we came up against a world class midfield and goalie and a very well organised defence.

all without our best 2 players.

still unbeaten at home

anthony gordon

wilson back on the scoresheet

longstaff continuing to improve.

decent atmosphere for MOST of the game - no booing and a lot stayed behind to applaud the players off.

targett hopefully fit soon and isak back next week.

We really missed an option for CF from the bench today. Wilson struggles to last 90 mins the way we play, he missed the 1 on 1 in the 2nd half due to fatigue. He should have scored with the header but these things happen. Gotta think if Isak had been available he’d have took that chance, small margins but every 10th of a second counts.

We could have easily lost today, take the  point, move on. West Ham are hugely underperforming this season.

44 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Big difference between being ungrateful for how much we’ve improved and recognising the sliding doors potential of grabbing top 4 (or not) this season. I think folk, myself included, are just aware we were only a couple of signings away from nailing that on, and yet we’ve had a pretty complacent transfer window. That and the fact we’re no longer scoring goals.

I don't think it was complacent, they are just sticking to their plan, which is only recruit players who we really want, and who will take us to the next level. I'm sure they would love to bring in more bodies, but to be better than what we've got would mean getting the wrong side of FFP.

Everton did this a couple of seasons ago and look at them now. Chelsea are also going for broke, and if they don't make the top 4 they will also have to face the music next season. It's very tempting to go for broke, but sometimes that can end up with you literally going broke.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Was not also partially down to how well the opponent played too? Plus as said, it's unlikely any new signing would have started today.

I think they played well as we let them play well, gifting them the control of the midfield and therefore the game.

Thats a fair point, though Howe might have changed it and brought them on to get a hold of the game when it got away from us. All theoretical of course 

who could we have signed this winter to play in CM.

we certainly tried but unless clubs are willing to sell there's nowt we can do.

dont want average players at a massive cost who wont be good enough for us next season and we'll struggle to shift.

am sure we would have signed a maddison or gallagher if we could have.

Edited by huss9

8 minutes ago, huss9 said:

who could we have signed this winter to play in CM.

we certainly tried but unless clubs are willing to sell there's nowt we can do.

dont want average players at a massive cost who wont be good enough for us next season and we'll struggle to shift.

am sure we would have signed a maddison or gallagher if we could have.

Man Utd got Sabitzer on loan within a few hours of losing Eriksen, straight loan no option or obligation. A deal like that surely would have been a no brainer us ?

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Man Utd got Sabitzer on loan within a few hours of losing Eriksen, straight loan no option or obligation. A deal like that surely would have been a no brainer us ?

true but i'd never heard of him before so cant really judge how good he is or where he plays.

we still dont have the pulling power of Manu so its not a cert we could have got him.

just saying Howe and the rest would have signed someone decent if they could.

6 minutes ago, huss9 said:

not sure what that means.

People who got / kept season tickets in the Ashley era but despite the incredible positives post-takeover are being loudmouthed negative cunts hurling abuse towards our players and generally acting like ungrateful entitled twats 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Any advice please.... I damaged the chair in front of me when we scored, it's cracked the backrest.  Stood on it stopping myself from going over. 

Wanting to report it should I just go through the usual box office number or is there any other specific emails to make them aware?  Feel like a right cunt. 

3 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

What was the crack for their equaliser btw? I remember thinking Paqueta looked offside but nobody said fuck all not even a VAR check? Am i missing something obvious? 

A freeze shot of the goal 

IMG-20230204-WA0019.jpg

Still don't know how Dan Burn missed that header, ducks under it.

Thought we were largely shite after the first 5 mins. Gordon looked canny.

Shame really as West Ham did nowt other than score. Poor from Burn and Trippier on the goal but they've been superhuman lately so bound to let a slack one in eventually.

Yet another mark of our progress that we were pretty poor but managed to draw the game. We lose that a year and a half ago.

Fingers crossed Spurs lose. Onto the next!

17 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

What was the crack for their equaliser btw? I remember thinking Paqueta looked offside but nobody said fuck all not even a VAR check? Am i missing something obvious? 

A freeze shot of the goal 

IMG-20230204-WA0019.jpg

did it touch anyone else before it got to Paqueta?