Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Very workman like on the ball. Only Bruno can play a ball with some disguise and get it forward. The 3 in there and runners and that's it

I thought Longstaff was comfortably our best midfield passer of the ball today. 
He has quite crisp technique with his passing.

Edited by Lotus

After three minutes I thought we were going to get the prem record result today.

Lad and son next to me were doing my tits in. Stato and son of stato. Moaning for the full 90min. 

I am a prick at times. I often don’t even move to celebrate when we score. But I have been like that since the 90s.

Got some proper teddy bear stares when talking to my son in the piss house at half time because of my cockney accent 🤣

31 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

What was the crack for their equaliser btw? I remember thinking Paqueta looked offside but nobody said fuck all not even a VAR check? Am i missing something obvious? 

A freeze shot of the goal 

IMG-20230204-WA0019.jpg

My wife spotted it straight away.  Said "that's offside that is".

30 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

What was the crack for their equaliser btw? I remember thinking Paqueta looked offside but nobody said fuck all not even a VAR check? Am i missing something obvious? 

A freeze shot of the goal 

IMG-20230204-WA0019.jpg

Because no West Ham player touched the ball. Rice got the assist and he was taking the corner

37 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Man Utd got Sabitzer on loan within a few hours of losing Eriksen, straight loan no option or obligation. A deal like that surely would have been a no brainer us ?

I didn't particularly want Eriksen tbh, so not sure signing someone on loan to replace him would make much difference. They paid £60m for Casemiro who is 31, I thought that was bad business, but tbf he's fucking class. But even they have had to balance the budget over the last few years to stay in there. They have a much larger financial base to take such punts.

Just now, Kanji said:

Did that west ham guy up front not head it?

Don't think so, think it hits Joelinton on the way through. Rice got the assist so he must have been the last West Ham player to touch it and he was taking the corner

2 hours ago, et tu brute said:

I think you need to read Maguire's piece on it. Commercial revenue will already have increased with the sleeve sponsorship and the partnership deals for 2022-23. We will see for this years accounts later on when they're released. 

Will do 👍

We'll probably never go this deep into a season with only one loss, so people that are moaning now will always be moaning, there's no hope for them.

Especially as this is our first year of being a normal club for 14years.

If we win the league one year we could have dropped 3 or 4 defeats by now and half the team will be shit and toys out the pram every time.

To be fair to West Ham they played really well and played ball. Deserved point for them and the biggest highlight for me was Gordons cameo. 

Everything impressed me with him but mostly the way he passes the ball. Spreading them like arrows. 

I love Maxi but i shit my self as soon he has to make a pass.

We're solid still but have just gone stale in attack with things that were working earlier in the season simply not anymore (Almiron's runs, Trippier's set pieces etc). I think we're desperate to mix things up a bit either in terms of system or personnel but feel Howe won't do so until we lose a game. For one when he's fit I would like to see Targett back in the team to give us a bit more width from the other side. Burn literally doesn't cross the ball and that's a frustrating weakness when the other side has stopped producing too.

26 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We missed a target up front today. I’m not suggesting going route 1 but we could with do that as an option sometimes. Would really help us condense the play when we can’t dominate the midfield pivot. 

Genuinely wish we were able to sub Wood on today to be fair. :lol: 

Howe and his team has coached some of these players well past where their normal peak would be, and we’re forgetting that quite a few still won’t be making the journey mid-term.  The likes of Almiron have regressed closed to the norm as teams have learned how to track him - his peak form was 100% down to Howe recognising how best to utilise him.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see the likes of Miggy moved on in the next 12 months or so - and for far more money than they’d have commanded 12 months earlier.  

It’s astonishing what Howe has managed to do with what still feels like a mid-table side.  The likes of Bruno, Isak, Botman, Trippier, Pope are genuinely first-rank footballers who would not look out of place in most top-six sides - the others have been coached and drilled superbly.  Soon enough having players like that in all 25 available slots will be the norm - but that’s a couple of years away.

Patience, all - it will come :) 

18 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

We're solid still but have just gone stale in attack with things that were working earlier in the season simply not anymore (Almiron's runs, Trippier's set pieces etc). I think we're desperate to mix things up a bit either in terms of system or personnel but feel Howe won't do so until we lose a game. For one when he's fit I would like to see Targett back in the team to give us a bit more width from the other side. Burn literally doesn't cross the ball and that's a frustrating weakness when the other side has stopped producing too.

Said similar a few weeks ago, if we start to become predictable then we start to become easier to nullify. Mixing it up and changing formation is a bit risky but to continue with the same thing every week is riskier still. Absolutely not a criticism of Howe but we look tired and a bit blunt atm

Thing is we're still creating big big chances that we really need to put away. 

Wilson, Longstaff and Willock have missed big chances in the games we've drawn. Put those away and those draws turn into wins. 

If we were drawing games without having a sniff of goal then you could kind of blame Howe but imo that is not the case. He's keeping us tight at the back and doing enough for us to get those big chances. We just haven't got the superstars yet to bury them 9 times out of 10.

Isak and Gordon in the team and we create more and score more I'm sure. 

Definitely missed Bruno today. His vision to spot a through ball or player running off the ball is something that Joelinton, Willock and Longstaff just don't have. Another creative CM would make a huge difference to turning these draws into wins. Can't help but think we should have done that in January. Big opportunity missed considering our current situation and position. 

I feel like Burn is making some really frustrating overlapping runs. 

Noticed it with Joelinton and also ASM and Gordon today. He sort of runs into the space that the wingers want to use and ends up dragging another defender into the same space.

Disappointing result, especially after the fast start to the game. Was expecting more from ASM on his first start but it wasn't his day. It's painful cus it looks like he was genuinely trying hard but nothing was working for him, he looked really put of sync with the rest of the boys, which I guess is possible after being out the team so long. 

Find the moans and groans from fans irritating though, especially when it's clear players are trying and just need our support. 

Gordon however was everything ASM wasn't to be fair, looked sharp and lively and picked his passes well. 

Think if Isak was an option from the bench we likely go on to win even without Bruno. 

Thought Joelinton was class in another new role for him to be fair to the lad. Although the dive was embarrassing.