Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

4 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

The Premier League was built on a free market and you had more titles shared across clubs than any other major league. Financial restrictions based on income are no good for competition. La Liga is completely skewed towards Barca and Real in Spain and look how dull that is. PL fast becoming like the Bundesliga (save for this season), only even more dull with an established top 6 most seasons.

The wage cap is hurting Barcelona's competitiveness. But it might actually be helping them be sustainable tbf.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Why do you think the points deductions have only came about since the mention of one ?

The Premier League has definitely being trying to behave more like a regulator since talk of legislation came about. Could be convenient timing, but they charged City the day the white paper was introduced.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

A few clubs now seemed against it but all but one voted in the new rules. Doesn’t make much sense.

Is it not the case that all but one voted to change the rules. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Just making it up as they go along.

Pretty sure Everton were £220m over the limit. The £20m figure trotted out is a bit misleading iirc.

Either way its a mess and would hate to be the one sorting it out in todays legal world.

Is there a spreadsheet anywhere for each EPL clubs total debt ? Is that not more of a reason for concern than 3 season losses if an owner covers it ? 

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Collymore absolutely spot on. 

It's what I was getting at the other day about the club going public with its argument. The more voices shouting this, and its quite irrefutable, the more chance something gets done.

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye, and the new rules seem worse than the last ones.

Said it before, but I'll say it again -- there aren't any new rules yet. They only voted to move towards new rules.

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye, and the new rules seem worse than the last ones.

There are no new rules yet 

edit: what the guy above me said

Edited by Jack27

Just now, madras said:

It's what I was getting at the other day about the club going public with its argument. The more voices shouting this, and its quite irrefutable, the more chance something gets done.

Aye.  My assumption has been either that we're genuinely not bothered and happy to play by the rules, or that we prefer to maintain a dignified and politically expedient silence while there's a chance that other people will fight the fight for us

I'd imagine the stuff going on behind the scenes right now is proper fascinating like. Alliances and backstabbing and whatnot.

Somewhat related, rumour on golf twitter is that Yasir and Tiger Woods had a secret meeting yesterday on Tiger's fishing boat ahead of a PGA/LIV meeting today at PGA headquarters :lol:

Just now, OpenC said:

Aye.  My assumption has been either that we're genuinely not bothered and happy to play by the rules, or that we prefer to maintain a dignified and politically expedient silence while there's a chance that other people will fight the fight for us

I've always thought we were biding our time, waiting in particular for the Man City fall out, but now seems like a decent time to start pushing the argument.

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Said it before, but I'll say it again -- there aren't any new rules yet. They only voted to move towards new rules.

Yeah that’s what I was referring to, and all reports suggest the possible new ones are going to be worse for everyone outside the big 6 than before. Seems strange then that 19 out of 20 clubs would vote for it.

If they want a squad cap that is equal for everyone and is set to be somewhere in the middle of what would be allowed under PSR/FFP then I'm ok with that. At least the playing field would be more level then.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Yeah that’s what I was referring to, and all reports suggest the possible new ones are going to be worse for everyone outside the big 6 than before. Seems strange then that 19 out of 20 clubs would vote for it.

It's not though. The current rules have the Premier League handing down points deductions based on no pre-defined penalties. That's an awful system no matter the regulations a club needs to adhere to.

And, in our case (and anyone with European ambitions), if the new rules do end up mirroring UEFA's in some way then we'll need to abide by them anyway.

Forest deducted 4points for over-spend that probably ensued 1 more and quite probably at least a 2nd more season of PL money at the expense of two other clubs who miss out on that money

they might appeal even that yet

it isn't reflective of Everton's but they played ball more, so that's not arbitrary or anything

sold a home-grown talent to comply by the rules (how romantic) though these rules aside they had no need or desire to,  but not by an early enough date to Brentford where they would have got less money but maybe have avoided a deduction

all because they speculated to accumalate and won bucking the trend of teams going straight back down

and because some clubs dont want to be challenged we've got this bureaucratic dystopian bullshit in football

Edited by Wolfcastle

Said a few weeks ago, we're working towards breaking this system behind closed doors. NDM being involved just solidifies that for me. Our team is slowly building. We started off on day 1 as a solo entity, just narrowly getting through after 18 months of illegal blocking, and no one wanted to know. In fact it was said no PL teams would deal with us. I bet its a very different setup now. We'll have seeds planted everywhere, and it looks like its all coming together and on the surface, we've said and done fuck all, and kept compliant, but we're tearing the PL inside out. I cannot wait to piss on its corpse. 

The club did very well at keeping the spotlight on this during the transfer window. Eales, Ashworth and Howe all made statements to the effect of "we've got an insane injury crisis, but our hands are tied because of PSR".