Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

From the Athletic article:

"The spending cap is intended to function as a backstop to the squad cost rule, which will see clubs’ spending tied to a percentage of their revenue."

15 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Those are the current rules, clarified earlier this year

https://www.sportindustry.biz/news-categories/news/new-premier-league-rules-faces-opposition/

It went through by a narrow margin and there was talk that some clubs had got cold feet on it and were willing to vote to change it back, don't know if that was part of today's proposal.

Worth noting that, just like last time there was a vote that led to pages upon pages of speculation, this was another vote to pursue / develop something. Nothing became a rule today. The real vote(s) happen in June.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Interesting that Chelsea abstained and also interesting Villa voted against it. Obviously understandable why both Manchester clubs did though. 

Must seemingly be positive for ourselves else you'd hope we'd have voted against it. Suprising that it will be ratified this summer, I thought it would take longer than that.

Surprised with the Man Utd lot as I thought US owners were up for this.

Seems good for us if im understanding right.

Maybe no immediate benefit, but as long as the club continues to go all in on increasing revenue we'll one day be able to spend with the 'big boys'. Unlike now where they just accelerate away faster than we're allowed to catch up.

I’d imagine Man U are planning to spend a shed load this summer and this may temper their spending.

I’m hoping we’ve got a means to increase our income and that rules on related party deals are relaxed.

Anyone know how much money you can generate from the UEFA Conference League? Surely finishing 7th and being limited to spending 70% has to turn out better than finishing 8th and have 85% to play with?

1 hour ago, Ronson333 said:

Liverpool and Man Utd fans working out it benefits us more than anyone else 😀. It’s probably a bigger day for us than many of us realise.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=297245.1920

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/premier-league-clubs-have-agreed-in-principle-to-introduce-a-spending-cap.482447/#post-31889473

It would take a few years of holding our breaths and praying for the best but if us, United, Arsenal, Spurs resigned from the Prem and asked to join the EFL just before the next TV rights deal, then almost all of England's football problems could be solved.

They are so unaware how happy that would make the entire PL

55 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Bottom club PL TV money x 5.

And just for capping wages right? Not infrastructure and things like that?

Edited by cubaricho

Would've been hilarious if this was started last season. All the big clubs expecting the "bottom" club to be Burnley or Sheffield Utd and it ends up being far far worse and it's Luton instead. 

Long term it’s not going to help us either ……

if we do massively boost turnover in the next 5 years

it means Man City / Man United / Arsenal / Chelsea / spurs / Villa , Liverpool …Etc ….can match our spending and offer the same contracts , transfer fees 

As it stands today 

it helps us marginally as it stops them getting further ahead ……other than that it doesn’t help us at all

Unless!!!

Fair market value / Related commercial rules are relaxed in the near future 

Edited by JonBez comesock

21 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Long term it’s not going to help us either ……

if we do massively boost turnover in the next 5 years

it means Man City / Man United / Arsenal / Chelsea / spurs / Villa , Liverpool …Etc ….can match our spending and offer the same contracts , transfer fees 

I mean, I'm very much fine with that.

I don't demand a club that wins, I just want a club that's allowed to try.

Struggling to get excited even if it does benefit us. Find the political stuff off the pitch saps my love of the game. I just want to watch a sport with as little outside influence as possible while remaining fair. I know that’s a fantasy but the more this shit filters through the more it makes me want to switch off 

2 hours ago, et tu brute said:

UEFA rules I imagine will fall in line. It's all down to increased sponsorship/commercial deals anyway. There is fundamentally a requirement to increase revenue.

Yeah, will hit UEFA commercially if the top English clubs are failing and the likes of Brighton and Palace are playing in the CL.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Yeah, will hit UEFA commercially if the top English clubs are failing and the likes of Brighton and Palace are playing in the CL.

Going to be interesting the next five year's I would imagine 

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Struggling to get excited even if it does benefit us. Find the political stuff off the pitch saps my love of the game. I just want to watch a sport with as little outside influence as possible while remaining fair. I know that’s a fantasy but the more this shit filters through the more it makes me want to switch off 

The problem I have with the rules is they don't do anything at all to help make the league more competitive, even though they keep telling us they do. Any rules that are tied to income keep the top clubs at the top and promoted clubs fighting relegation, every single season.

The whole thing needs to be scrapped and if they insist on implementing rules then do it with genuine fairness so everyone can compete if they want. I'm not saying all 20 clubs have a shot at winning the title but if teams like us and Villa have ambitions to do it then the path should be clear without the Premier League putting obstacles in our way.