Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

2 minutes ago, Paully said:

Was that not because Shepherd preferred Luque over than Boa Morte as well as Owen over Anelka?!

Thats what Sourness said on Sky one match, that he wanted those and FFS kept saying otherwise

7 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Thats what Sourness said on Sky one match, that he wanted those and FFS kept saying otherwise

Yeah - it was not long after he was binned and Shepherd didn't dispute it - mental that - those two would have been about £25 m cheaper as well FFS

5 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

The secret sauce is success on the pitch. ultimately regular European football and any trophy open up the commercial doors, I think missing out on the EC has been undervalued on here in terms of impact.

In pitch success is how FSG got Liverpool back on track, after their previous American owners focussed too much on the P&L.

The product is football, do that successfully and the cash will follow. Not the other way round.

Ensuring you get the best bang for your buck and success on the pitch go hand in hand of course. Financially speaking we cannot structurally compete with the "top six" yet, and I agree success on the pitch will help raise our profile and with that increase our commercial income, but in order to be able to overachieve on the pitch we need to make every signing and sale count. As Stavely said, we cannot afford (m)any mistakes,

On 29/07/2024 at 22:19, Rafalove said:

Bloomberg claiming we’re worth a billion now. Just remember what a good businessman Mike Ashley is.

And so far our owners have done nothing that Ashley couldn't have done if he wanted to, we've spent but not *that* much. Plus it would have cost less if done years back.

16 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Ensuring you get the best bang for your buck and success on the pitch go hand in hand of course. Financially speaking we cannot structurally compete with the "top six" yet, and I agree success on the pitch will help raise our profile and with that increase our commercial income, but in order to be able to overachieve on the pitch we need to make every signing and sale count. As Stavely said, we cannot afford (m)any mistakes,

Totally agree. However there are now a lot of European places and many worse clubs have picked up trophies over the years. That’s the route from where the club is today to reducing that revenue gap

Given Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Spurs rely on the CL, there’s always 2 of them going through a bust cycle when they miss out. That means there’s always a chance to run at 4th-7th, build the exposure, build the fan base, make more money.

It is achievable 

1 hour ago, WilliamPS said:

Totally agree. However there are now a lot of European places and many worse clubs have picked up trophies over the years. That’s the route from where the club is today to reducing that revenue gap

Given Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Spurs rely on the CL, there’s always 2 of them going through a bust cycle when they miss out. That means there’s always a chance to run at 4th-7th, build the exposure, build the fan base, make more money.

It is achievable 

"Just" playing in Europe isn't going to cut it if we want to make inroads in the "top six" and eventually topple them. If we are going to significantly grow commercial revenue under our own steam we need to compete in the latter stages of the PL and CL regularly, as well as have on our roster some instantly recognisable and highly thought of players. In short, we need to overachieve vs our competitors. Thankfully I think we have the ownership, management and a foundation of players to be able to do that, but it sure as hell won't be easy.

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Was that not because Shepherd preferred Luque over than Boa Morte as well as Owen over Anelka?!

I recall that coming out after the fact as a way of saving face for Shepherd. Can't comment on Owen vs Anelka I don't remember that one so well :)

6 hours ago, HawK said:

I think as a club we're shifting to a more normal operating mode of a professional football club after decades of mismanagement.

If we spent £10m + on someone, it's been pretty much expected they're a starter. Younger players in this bracket that cost a bit were Jenas, Viana, Dyer etc. who had varying degrees of success with us. Signings for the future have always been such a novelty and a rarity in days gone, that anyone who walked through the door that wasn't signed for the first team was seen as the next potential superstar - Zamblera, Vuckic, Tozer, Kadar (and we never spent big on them either). Now that we are forking out big sums for players that don't immediately walk into the first 11 but need a couple of seasons to develop and bed in, we're naturally bemused because the concept is completely foreign to us.

Livra and to more of an extent Hall have turned that old methodology upside down. If we want real quality with less of a gamble, the pathway is the same as the previous 'starlets' of yesteryear with the need for development, coaching and reserve games, just with a much higher price tag and a better chance of becoming a future first teamer and with that the associated increase in expectations.

However, it's hard to understand this sometimes when as fans we generally just think of this or next season at the most when it comes to squad building. I was sceptical when we bought Gordon for example when it was plain as day we needed a LB not a LW at the time. The club is looking at this with a much longer term view and need to be clever with the money spent, i.e. there's no point patching a hole in RW, LB, with a 28yr old someone  at their peak for £40m who'll end up becoming a black hole in our accounting book 3-4 years down the line when our sole focus as a club right now is to grow, and unfortunately the only way to do that is going to be finding players of potential and selling them at their peak.

I think the next few windows are going to be frustrating, but if the right player doesn't come along, it doesn't look like we're going to panic buy someone that isn't right from an accountancy, personality and ability standpoint. I don't know why I always recall the transfer of Albert Luqué, but if you remember we only signed him because we missed out on Luis Boa Morte, it was so lastminute.com that even the player didn't know he was signing until he was practically on the plane to us.

The £100m odd for Bale at Spurs helped set them up for over a decade. We can't be too proud to sell players like Bruno or Isak if good money comes knocking, the reality is we need to sell them to progress as a club under the current PSR rules. Oversimplifying a bit, but we aren't going to win anything with 2 purples, but if we can sell those 2 purples at peak prices to buy 4 more potential purples, we're on the right track. 

FWIW I hate this PSR cartel system, but if we're going to have to play by these bent rules, this is the only way to do it imo.

Hate to agree with this but I think it's bang on.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Thankfully he didn't.

Why are you thankful Ashley didn't run the club well and invest in it? Seems an odd take to wish for 14 years of misery instead.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Bit fucking late now. As usual Chelsea get away with it and everyone else has to play by their stupid rules.

17 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Bit fucking late now. As usual Chelsea get away with it and everyone else has to play by their stupid rules.

It’s likely it’ll be defeated again…..there’s a growing number of clubs who are against interference by the PL in clubs commercial activities, hasn’t Brexit Jim also spoken out against these rules recently?

Really don't get why the PL is so against having more competition...surely it just means more money for them with more interest with more teams pushing for the top?

Yes they've got a guaranteed income with the slimy 6, but even a first year business graduate could see they'd get more with 7-9 all challenging.

It's not like they're going to lose Customers as it's probably the only business in the world where someone isn't going g to move to a different team cos they happen to miss out on a year or two

4 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Really don't get why the PL is so against having more competition...surely it just means more money for them with more interest with more teams pushing for the top?

Yes they've got a guaranteed income with the slimy 6, but even a first year business graduate could see they'd get more with 7-9 all challenging.

It's not like they're going to lose Customers as it's probably the only business in the world where someone isn't going g to move to a different team cos they happen to miss out on a year or two

The breakaway 6 are essentially globally established due to their relative success coinciding with massive global growth. We could have been one of that six.

Ratcliffe maybe had a point - it's arguably in the Premier League's commercial interest to keep these clubs near the top and in Europe. 'Small' clubs like Everton aren't really relevant any more.

14 hours ago, Nucasol said:

So we’re okay with the PL restricting revenue streams that allow teams to spend the money they want now?

Edited by McCormick

11 minutes ago, McCormick said:

So we’re okay with the PL restricting revenue streams that allow teams to spend the money they want now?

I’d rather they didn’t but if you’re going to put these draconian rules in place then at least make it consistent for all teams. Chelsea running rings around the clown show that is the PL and they’re constantly chasing them in catch up mode. Gives them an unfair advantage to the other non-Cartel clubs.

I hate the rules and I actually welcome anyone taking the piss out of them. No one likes Chelsea but the fact that they’re being super savvy finding loopholes is something I wish we were attempting too. The more ways clubs can find to skirt around these bent restrictions the quicker we can get rid of them and actually compete with the cartel imo.

Fair play to the Chelsea manager calling out the PL over PSR yesterday and the sale of Gallagher.   Nowt will be done, but its good that more and more people are frustrated at these shit rules, even if its in place to keep the big clubs big and those with ambition down the pecking order.

15 hours ago, Turnbull2000 said:

The breakaway 6 are essentially globally established due to their relative success coinciding with massive global growth. We could have been one of that six.

Ratcliffe maybe had a point - it's arguably in the Premier League's commercial interest to keep these clubs near the top and in Europe. 'Small' clubs like Everton aren't really relevant any more.

Support bases in Africa and other parts of the world are fickle mate. If Everton were to consistently finish in the top four of the Premier League and acquire a few world-class players over the course of three years, it is possible that their support base could increase significantly, therefore increase commercial interest in their product. 

The breakaway six clubs are aware of this potential and are taking steps to protect their own interests. As an example, there has been a surge of interest in Newcastle United in these places. If Newcastle can maintain their competitive form, they may eventually catch up to or even surpass one of the underperforming breakaway six clubs.

Given Manchester United's struggles in recent years, Sir Jim is understandably concerned about this same as Daniel Levy, Staveley mentioned this. The foreign market isn't as closed as the 6 want us to think. They benefit from making us believe that.