Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

The current rules are not for for purpose but their has to be a path to sustainability.  How that looks I have no idea.  All the clubs in the PL should be making profits with how much money their is the game, having sugar daddies is not sustainable as it just inflates an already inflated market.

When owners are not allowed to invest money within their own business like any other industry, then there lies the problem. Total restraint of trade, anti competitive and corruption from a certain number of clubs. It's only a matter of time before it's legally challenged imo. The noises are starting to grow louder all the time.

18 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Like fuck am I listening to Tottenham or Man Utd fans coming on here voicing their opinions on their superiority and how clubs should be run. Both have owners who are doing everything to try and stop our advancement. Fuck them it's coming.

Are you opposing the fact that Spurs were ran better than us during the Ashley years? 

29 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

We did nothing of investing in our academy, buying and selling players, and saving up to build a new stadium?

I get that it’s frustrating Stifler, Lord knows I do. I get that we have advantages being in London. I get that you’ve been owned by an utter cunt for years - let me rephrase that because we have too, an incompetent utter cunt. I know this isn’t going to be a sympathetic audience, at least not for the most part. But you’re not listening. And some of what you’re saying is just bullshit. 

@midds is right, this isn’t really the place, and I should just shut up and keep my head down. Just sometimes the frustration I’ve felt since Abramovich needs venting :lol:

I know that Levy has ran the club well. I’m not getting at that. However at the same time your club is a club that is pulling the ladder up, and has tried to pull the ladder up before, either with the ESL, Project big picture, or even when the Premier League originally broke away.

Your club is not holier than thou, and I hate the pretence that they are whilst telling supporters of say Newcastle or Villa that they should be, mocking Man City etc.

To be fair though, Spurs is probably the ones who offend me the least, but Liverpool fans saying it after the investment they got to put them where they are, and where that came from, Arsenal fans who club have built their stadium on the back of funds from an oilfield just North of Saudi Arabia’s, meanwhile I don’t see their fans kicking off over their sponsorship from a country who are literally trying to buy people, or even Man Utd fans who were falling at the feet of that fake sheikh only months ago.

4 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Nah, of course there'll be people listening when you make valid points. Think we're all a bit narked with a draw today as well like you must be too.

I have no problem at all with Spurs building the way they have, or reaping the benefits of that. Ideally, it's how everyone would do it IF everyone was starting from a level playing field, which they aren't.

I have no idea either how you cope with an owner that plays by the rules but hinders you in the long run which applies to a lot of clubs.

But then, I can never personally forget that in a different example of bad ownership that Spurs were quite happy to join the ESL, wreck the entire league permanently and entrench a non-competitive advantage for themselves when they thought they could, showing the reality of it, and at that point the moral high ground argument about doing things the right way is sunk. You sub-human scum [emoji38].

Yeah, the ESL stuff is horrible, and without question would have been the final straw for me personally. The club doesn’t have a lot of moral high ground to cling to, which makes it bloody hard to do the bit of our job which is advocating for the club :lol:

As an individual fan though, I’m not entirely morally bankrupt. I hated what happened with Abramovich and Man City, and I would hate it to continue happening. If people were cool with it then of course there’d be no problem with Newcastle doing the same. I know there are some Spurs fans who feel the same, and I’d be annoyed with them too. 

You don’t need to give a shit what I think, why would you? :lol: I’m just old and tired. The last 35 years of being a fan have worn me out.

There's plenty of things to have a pop at Spurs/Levy for but they raised a huge amount of money from shifting Berbatov, Modric and Bale. Sure it stung Spurs' fans at the time as much as us buying and subsequently selling Isak, Bruno and Gordon would for us. I don't know enough about their stadium finances and commercial stuff to get into in too deep but from a player trading pov they definitely bought and sold reasonably well

36 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

The current rules are not for for purpose but their has to be a path to sustainability.  How that looks I have no idea.  All the clubs in the PL should be making profits with how much money their is the game, having sugar daddies is not sustainable as it just inflates an already inflated market.

Again, just being able to spend what the rest can would be nice. If the Red 3, City l, Chelsea and Spurs do that commercially, brilliant. If clubs like Brighton do it through finding an unknown Ecuadorian for £250k and selling for him for £80m, fantastic. If clubs like Villa, Newcastle, Forest, etc have wealthy owners who can provide proof of funds that they can spend the same as the first 6, that should also be great. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Again, just being able to spend what the rest can would be nice. If the Red 3, City l, Chelsea and Spurs do that commercially, brilliant. If clubs like Brighton do it through finding an unknown Ecuadorian for £250k and selling for him for £80m, fantastic. If clubs like Villa, Newcastle, Forest, etc have wealthy owners who can provide proof of funds that they can spend the same as the first 6, that should also be great. 

Not to mention, Newcastle are one of the few clubs who if allowed to spend on the infrastructure could easily become one of the most commercially viable clubs in the world. PIF are not a charity, it's an investment fund. They picked us over a club like Plymouth or Fulham for a reason.

26 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Yeah, the ESL stuff is horrible, and without question would have been the final straw for me personally. The club doesn’t have a lot of moral high ground to cling to, which makes it bloody hard to do the bit of our job which is advocating for the club :lol:

As an individual fan though, I’m not entirely morally bankrupt. I hated what happened with Abramovich and Man City, and I would hate it to continue happening. If people were cool with it then of course there’d be no problem with Newcastle doing the same. I know there are some Spurs fans who feel the same, and I’d be annoyed with them too. 

You don’t need to give a shit what I think, why would you? :lol: I’m just old and tired. The last 35 years of being a fan have worn me out.

I think part of the trouble is that, in most cases, we wouldn't really be happy with doing a Man City or a Chelsea either. Well, maybe just for a bit :lol:

There's an always going to be an element of "well, other clubs were allowed to do it, so where's our moment in the sun?" for us. Whilst, in the back of our minds also thinking that two wrongs don't make a right etc and getting into a pointless tit-for-tat with other historic wrongs about fairness in the sport.

For me, in this thread, the argument has always been more about how you stop other more devious forms of controlling the league, in which FFP, coefficients, etc are causing intended or unintended impacts on clubs and more importantly their fans.

It's a right old mess and can, at times, make you forget the actual football and concentrate on (temporary) owners and incompetence in the rules instead, which is a fun old way to live when it's supposed to be an escape. But I'm sounding like a broken record as most of us vaguely think the same and it's probably been expressed better by others, so I'm going into the chat thread to read about people's awful pints of Guinness instead.

Spurs weren't forced to sell Bale, Berbatov and Modric, because of new legislation is the difference. They got massive offers from richer and bigger clubs that were very luring for the players. That's time honoured. Same with Brighton and we've been there.

Its making up rules that force clubs that don't need or want to sell to sell, quite probably to the last clubs they ever want to sell to.

Stunting the growth of clubs has a knock on effect of slowing down and limiting the growth in infrastructure that what is supposed to sustain us all now.

4 hours ago, leffe186 said:

We did nothing of investing in our academy, buying and selling players, and saving up to build a new stadium?

I get that it’s frustrating Stifler, Lord knows I do. I get that we have advantages being in London. I get that you’ve been owned by an utter cunt for years - let me rephrase that because we have too, an incompetent utter cunt. I know this isn’t going to be a sympathetic audience, at least not for the most part. But you’re not listening. And some of what you’re saying is just bullshit. 

@midds is right, this isn’t really the place, and I should just shut up and keep my head down. Just sometimes the frustration I’ve felt since Abramovich needs venting :lol:

I get you’re pissed off about Roman, but how do you feel about Joe Lewis defrauding investors while being a leading member of your club? 

45 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

I get you’re pissed off about Roman, but how do you feel about Joe Lewis defrauding investors while being a leading member of your club? 

All billionaires are bastards and insider trading should be punished across the board with extensive prison terms and the seizure of assets for the public purse.

Even though I'm a fan of the NBA I hate how American it all sounds. :lol: But to be honest it's probably not the worst thing to implement.

Maybe I'm looking at it very simplistically and I know it won't solve all the problems in the league but if it is something that needs to be covered by the club's owners so they can't just saddle the club with more debt from it, it goes some way to ensuring the liability for overspending is on the owners themselves and not fucking a club even further at no cost to themselves if/when they walk away. 

5 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

What the hell is a luxury tax???

Daily mail article I just read was light on details but instead of a points deduction you pay a tax on overspending. 

Article suggests this may go to other clubs in the league as a payment for not over spending.

Or

Go towards clubs in the pyramid as a fund goes towards clubs that have found themselves in financial difficulty. 

I guess like everything got to see the detail first.

Edited by nufcjmc

It looks like related party transactions may be abolished also as more and more clubs realise what they've signed up for.

Mentions at the bottom of the article that there has been a seismic shift in power from the traditional "Big 6" to a big 7 as we have steamrolled our way into the conversation, this is what we've been waiting for.

It's sad that it's taken the Everton/Forest/Leicester farces to wake up the neutrals as to how ridiculous the PSR rules are. The criticisms made by Newcastle fans and many others have been valid and ignored by many until the shit has actually hit the fan. It's been laid bare just how unfit for purpose these restrictions have been and how they've been specifically geared towards preventing any challenge. It's now clear the rules need to be completely re-written in order to allow ambition AND support clubs from dodgy owners. It's not just about stamping our feet and wanting to spend billions immediately, it's got to protect clubs from shit owners using clubs as a cashpoint, there has to be that balance