Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

The losses for those years fall off. But the costs for that spending we carry (amortisation and wages) into this year. 

Yeah but the point is we started with practically nothing very little income. It takes time to build and everyone can see it’s building with Sela & Adidas. I wouldn’t be surprised if we are waiting on the outcome of the Man City case before announcing training kit, training ground & even stadium sponsorships

2 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Without the pretty much unprecedented injury crisis we had in the past season we would have easily finished top 6. There's a very good chance we'll finish in the top 6 this season without the demands of European football. Our FMV is not hugely less than the top 6 now, the PL has allowed us to sign deals similar to what they get, it's just obviously taking a lot of time to justify each one so it will be a longer process than we would like.

You’ve said ‘obviously’. Where’s the evidence for that ? Genuinely - where have you got that from?

to get top 6 consistently we need to be better managed, better luck and better in the transfer market than 3 of the top 6 every year. 

Much like Villa - we are a couple managerial appointments or bad transfer windows away from big trouble. None of the actual top 6 have that risk. Chelsea are onto year 3 of BS. 

While greater revenue gives us more scope to flex our muscled in the transfer market, it's not the be all and all of regular top six finishes.

We'll need to be smart, but Spurs have shown with patience and the right people in place, it can be done while the commercial revenue gap is closed.

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

Yeah but the point is we started with practically nothing very little income. It takes time to build and everyone can see it’s building with Sela & Adidas. I wouldn’t be surprised if we are waiting on the outcome of the Man City case before announcing training kit, training ground & even stadium sponsorships

I hope so with the second point. 

Yeh it does take time.  In that time we might need to sell most of our top stars.  

It might be that. That’s fine. I don’t think as a fanbase we’ve accepted that. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree with that.

The boat I'm talking about is - not being able to generate enough revenue to maintain spending and fighting for top 4 or better year in and year out.

We have the same problem with PSR and neither of us has easy levers to exploit.

It's the top 6. And the rest. We are still part of the rest with no easy escape route.

We can't inflate sponsorships to the point where we are in another stratosphere from Villa revenue-wise.

Total revenues (slightly out of date):

image.thumb.png.7353e08710f1c974933bb685ecc2730b.png

72m more than Villa. 194m less than Spurs - the smallest top 6 side. It's the top 6 vs everybody else. That's the boat that matters IMO.

Under the current rules - how do we bridge that gap?

Using that chart, is a fairer system just to allow every club to match the revenue of the highest team ? If that income is sponsorship or owner investment does it matter ? 

17 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While greater revenue gives us more scope to flex our muscled in the transfer market, it's not the be all and all of regular top six finishes.

We'll need to be smart, but Spurs have shown with patience and the right people in place, it can be done while the commercial revenue gap is closed.

Agree. Playing wise - Spurs built it by selling their best players for about a decade and then having an all time great emerge from the academy. 

In this same thread many have denied the idea that selling Bruno might’ve been a preferred plan.  

23 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You’ve said ‘obviously’. Where’s the evidence for that ? Genuinely - where have you got that from?

to get top 6 consistently we need to be better managed, better luck and better in the transfer market than 3 of the top 6 every year. 

Much like Villa - we are a couple managerial appointments or bad transfer windows away from big trouble. None of the actual top 6 have that risk. Chelsea are onto year 3 of BS. 

The documentary, which detailed the process of demonstrating FMV for the Sela deal, and the delay in stuff like the training kit sponsorship coming forward.

9 minutes ago, Ben said:

Using that chart, is a fairer system just to allow every club to match the revenue of the highest team ? If that income is sponsorship or owner investment does it matter ? 

This seems a much better way to do it. Take the average of the top 3 revenues or maybe 80% of that. You can spend up to that, giving those who bring in more income a small advantage, yet everyone else is allowed to compete. I'd also add in provisions about debt and ensuring funds are cleared or covered. Of course this will never happen. Spurs won't want it as other could out spend them, Arsenal owners likewise wouldn't want to be forced to spend more and the lower end of the league owners likewise want keep raking in the cash. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

How could we ever know that?

I just assumed as some on here seem to know everything that's going on and what we should do "Shoukd have sold X instead of y" type stuff.

It may well be that one of the options would have been to sell Bruno but no suitable was forthcoming. 

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agree. Playing wise - Spurs built it by selling their best players for about a decade and then having an all time great emerge from the academy. 

In this same thread many have denied the idea that selling Bruno might’ve been a preferred plan.  

I think it was probably more a case of being realistic that if a club he wanted to go to had met his release clause we wouldn't have had any other option, rather than it being a preferred plan.

Edited by Jackie Broon

I think another way to frame this discussion can anyone name a club in the premier league who attained consistent success (let’s set the bar low and say European qualification for say 5 out of 10 possible years) without having top 6 revenue?

The point we are trying to illustrate is that it will be extremely difficult to challenge on a consistent basis and it will be a challenge to bridge the gap financial which would give us the best chance. 

1 hour ago, Dr Venkman said:

All of the major US sports leagues have systems in place to assure parity. 

I was just making lazy assumptions that Americans being the ultimate capitalists would have no time for the little guy.

I think you’re right that Boehly thinks he can come in and bully his way around. Thats how he’s acted so far, I guess it comes down to how much he’s willing to throw his money away. He has very little to show for it so far, sunk costs for him potentially 

4 hours ago, Fezzle said:

Niakhate and Mangala too for about £45m or something. Then theres Everton and Chelsea(stop laughing at the back) that had to as well

Mental, God help the clubs coming up, what's the point for them? 

Masters and his top 6 cunts

1 hour ago, gdm said:

That's not a bad shout, actually.  If Man City get the associated party transactions rules thrown out then it leaves us a LOT more options for those sponsorships we haven't made use of yet.  If Man City lose then we just go ahead and do it the normal way.

3 minutes ago, loki679 said:

That's not a bad shout, actually.  If Man City get the associated party transactions rules thrown out then it leaves us a LOT more options for those sponsorships we haven't made use of yet.  If Man City lose then we just go ahead and do it the normal way.

Potentially without the worry of Man City as their 115 charges will potentially sink them for a few years.

7 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

The best investment we could make would be dropping some traveller (*) £5k to whack Richard Masters

* been watching too much Kin/Love-Hate

I'm horrified by that statement. Going to harrow me all day - the thought that for 5k we could have had Ashley done years ago.

32 minutes ago, loki679 said:

Wasn't it just the changes to the associated parties rules that came in last season, ie the burden of proof of FMV was placed on to the clubs ?

I actually don't think it's the PL board that are the issue, I get the impression we're quite pally with the hierarchy now but Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs have enough of the others following them to push through changes unilaterally, sometimes against the advice of the board.

Edited by Jackie Broon