Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

7 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Salary caps are used in America to help the owners get rich. In the PL it’s the players who get the cash. Seems fairer when they are the talent 

Also not a good idea to look at America when seeking solutions for association football, their biggest team sports aren’t played at an equivalent level in any other country

They exist in an environment that’s very close to a vacuum

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

I was just highlighting the root of the problem; I wasn't suggesting any sort of solution. I don't think there will ever be one unless something like the Super League happens, which would fix this particular problem for a select number of clubs, destroy the others, and ruin the sport entirely.

Manchester United made more money last season than 31 of 32 NFL teams (the Dallas Cowboys being the only one higher) and lost over £100m. The Cowboys made over $500m. The basic financials of football are utterly fucked and it's why the governing bodies feel the need to oversee spending, which led to certain owners using that as an opportunity to try to protect their standing/revenue.

I get that, but unfortunately the way football is, and the way the EU, and U.K. laws are, there is no really way to prevent clubs from just spending all that money and implementing anything.

Unfortunately I think we will get the Super League, I think the cartel will use this as a way of closing the Premier League up. They will accept teams spending fortunes, on the condition that there is no relegation, and possibly less teams, in order to free up spaces in the calendar for other fixtures. 

This would certainly seem to be an opportune moment to drop a new sponsorship deal on the PL’s doorstep, I’m not sure they’d know where to fucking start.

I could see any re-writing of the rules taking months, could they really just put sponsorship deals on hold and would they be legally confident of rejecting any when their rules have been deemed unlawful.

Edited by Whitley mag

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

This would certainly seem to be an opportune moment to drop a new sponsorship deal on the PL’s doorstep, I’m not sure they’d know where to fucking start.

I could see any re-writing of the rules taking months, could they really just put sponsorship deals on hold and would they be legally confident of rejecting any when their rules have been deemed unlawful.

I guess legally, when they were handed to the Premier League, they would have been legal. If they delayed it until they changed the rules, or determined it based on the new rules, then they would be subject to further legal action.

2 hours ago, WilliamPS said:

Salary caps are used in America to help the owners get rich. In the PL it’s the players who get the cash. Seems fairer when they are the talent 

So in theory a cap reduces the demands made by players and clubs (transfer fees) and this results in lower the rights bids and then lower costs for fans

oi, stop laughing uncontrollably in the corner there

6 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Also not a good idea to look at America when seeking solutions for association football, their biggest team sports aren’t played at an equivalent level in any other country

They exist in an environment that’s very close to a vacuum

and what they are trying to do is to make football becoming another “vacuum”

44 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

So just to get up to speed.

Will it take a while to change the current rules to stop us.

Or will it take a while to change the current rules that are stopping us now?

nobody really knows right now. 

Man City claim the current associated party rules are void.   The premier league seem to think they are not.  Man City claim that they and the premier league are going back to the tribunal to clarify some things.  I’m presuming the clarification is around the current state of the rules given that parts of them are unlawful. 

Man City had three large sponsorship deals that were denied because of the associated party rules.  I’m guessing if the tribunal does say the current rules are void they will play their hand in one of two ways:

1. Claim that those deals are now off the table and go after the premier league for loss of earnings, maybe a CAT case.  Twist the knife 

2. announce those deals. I think this would stop option 1 as then they would not be able to claim loss of income. Or maybe they could just claim the amounts loss due to the delay  

How it affects us will be interesting.  We have not had any real help so far from Saudi in terms of inflated deals or transfers.  Some claim the Sela deal is below what we could have got with the rules. If Man City do go for option 2 and we do nothing it will make the argument that we are just an investment much stronger.  

It’s going to be very interesting to see how it plays out. 

* These are all just my uneducated thoughts based on browsing football forums. 

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

Our own actions evidently ate not (entirely) dependent on City’s. If the rules are declared void, we may claim for damages for any deals we may have had turned down or kicked down the road even if City don’t. Equally we may push through sponsorship deals even if City don’t. It will be fascinating to see how we operate over the next few weeks and months while this unfolds. We’ve been compliant so far, but I hope we are as ruthless as the PL has been at stopping us when their house of cards crumbles.

Edited by Unbelievable

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

Our own actions evidently ate not (entirely) dependent on City’s. If the rules are declared void, we may claim for damages for any deals we may have had turned down or kicked down the road even if City don’t. Equally we may push through sponsorship deals even if City don’t. It will be fascinating to see how we operate over the next few weeks and months while this unfolds. We’ve been compliant so far, but I hope we are as ruthless as the PL has been at stopping us when their house of cards crumbles.

Man City are claiming for damages as part of the arbitration.

Seems like the plan was to get some tweaks in that themselves would inevitably be found to be unlawful at some point but a quick fix that would hold for now.  Seems like that's what the PL do best is just stall for time rather than deal with these sorts of things.