Lewis Miley

Ronson333

10 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

I also think people are forgetting how good he was last season, he was as rated as Mainoo until the injury.

He's nowhere near as good as Mainoo IMO. He was thrust into the team out of necessity at a time when he was ready for drip-fed exposure to the first team.

It was fairly apparent he wasn't ready for a regular starting role quite quickly and he would often be the most invisible of the three we had in the midfield. It was basically Bruno largely carrying all three.

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Did we send his older brother out on loan? He looked pretty decent at pre season IMO

Went to Newport

Played 72 minutes on September 3rd and never been seen again for them from what I can find

Looks like he picked up an injury. Not sure of what or how bad?

Edited by jack j

38 minutes ago, jack j said:

Went to Newport

Played 72 minutes on September 3rd and never been seen again for them from what I can find

Looks like he picked up an injury. Not sure of what or how bad?

Was a bad injury unfortunately. So out for a little while.

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

He's nowhere near as good as Mainoo IMO. He was thrust into the team out of necessity at a time when he was ready for drip-fed exposure to the first team.

It was fairly apparent he wasn't ready for a regular starting role quite quickly and he would often be the most invisible of the three we had in the midfield. It was basically Bruno largely carrying all three.

I think you're underselling him quite a bit here. He was very good in that right-sided 8 role he initially played. I'm not saying he's as good as Mainoo, but bare in mind Miley is a year younger. You'll not find many 17 year olds that have done what he did. He's clearly a very special talent.

It was less than ideal circumstances he was thrust into, 2 games a week, usually high stakes and generally forced to play 90 mins, he often looked near dead on his feet to me which is fair enough given his inexperience and post growth spurt looking physique but his talent shone through none the less and he never looked like he was trying to hide which is a good reflection of his mettle. Expect he'll be used sparingly for a while but hopefully he grabs whatever opportunities he's given and forces himself into Howe's thoughts.

12 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

I think you're underselling him quite a bit here. He was very good in that right-sided 8 role he initially played. I'm not saying he's as good as Mainoo, but bare in mind Miley is a year younger. You'll not find many 17 year olds that have done what he did. He's clearly a very special talent.

I wouldn't say I was under selling him. He looks a good prospect but I think his performances were more "good for a 17 year old" than "good for a regular starter in a team with champions league aspirations", which he was forced into being.

The team massively struggled whilst he was playing and his lack of experience and readiness was clearly a major factor, amongst many others, in that.

You'll not find many 17 year old do what he did because most are protected and eased in.

He has the foundations to have a very good future, I certainly rate him, but he needs managed first team exposure, like most at that age. 

55 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I wouldn't say I was under selling him. He looks a good prospect but I think his performances were more "good for a 17 year old" than "good for a regular starter in a team with champions league aspirations", which he was forced into being.

The team massively struggled whilst he was playing and his lack of experience and readiness was clearly a major factor, amongst many others, in that.

You'll not find many 17 year old do what he did because most are protected and eased in.

He has the foundations to have a very good future, I certainly rate him, but he needs managed first team exposure, like most at that age. 

Agree with all this.

I thought he looked excellent, his range of passing was basically second to Bruno’s. He was very good at protecting the ball and showed good movement and understanding going forward. His main issue was his positioning defensively but you’d expect that for someone his age. He looked a better player than Sean despite only being 17

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I thought he looked excellent, his range of passing was basically second to Bruno’s. He was very good at protecting the ball and showed good movement and understanding going forward. His main issue was his positioning defensively but you’d expect that for someone his age. He looked a better player than Sean despite only being 17

Agreed. I think part of the problem in assessing him is his languid gait. Seems slow and, a tad, ponderous but really isn't. It's just that long legged, lollop 😂

Think Lenny, earlier, said he was no Mainoo which he isn't. Slightly unfair comparison because if he hadn't gotten injured who's to say his progression wouldn't have been equally impressive. As it happens they're different types of midfielders. Could actually be a decent middle pair, imho. 

11 hours ago, Lenny said:

Did he not feature quite heavily before the team started struggling, and doing quite well at that? Think he just suffered with being overplayed, like most others, and especially excusable since he’s not physically the finished product yet.

5 hours ago, gbandit said:

He has real quality, seemed a bit hesitant with the defensive side but he's so young still. I'm hoping we don't decide to sell him until he's had a chance to play some more minutes for us. We play 3 CMs so we need a good group of 5 or 6. 

Would be sadder to sell him than when we sold Anderson IMO.

I think he’s got the potential to be a very good player. You don’t pass the ball like he does without being extremely talented. I don’t remember Sean that well when he came through younger and obviously we need a bigger sample size and for him to continue to develop but all the signs suggest he’s good enough to make it with us 

I thought he had good, sometimes great, periods in pretty much every game he played, but he'd obviously gas out fairly badly after about an hour.

Don't agree at all that he was ever invisible, I'd wager the stats don't show that either. Fairly involved in quite a few phases of the game.