Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

Casemiro is what Makelele should have been for the first Galaticos.

He's not a flashy player but he is outstanding at what he does.

Plus, he's a natural leader and has a goat winning mentality, he's not won 5 champions on a fluke

Sadly for us he was on prime form today

Edited by JNK

It's the story of the season really. So close but ultimately not there....yet.

Came into the season hoping we could get into Europe and that 7th spot. Going to be frustrating if we don't manage that now. 

Good times are coming, I just hope this isn't a negative watershed moment for Howe and the team. It could be either way. I hope we don't see fans slowly turn, it was a fully committed performance from players and fans but on the pitch we lack the game changing quality and clinical finishing.

ASM looked great coming forward but was a gamble playing higher and leaving Burn under pressure.

Glad Karius got some redemption. Could he have done better on the goals? Maybe but that would be harsh on a keeper that hasn't played in a year and lacks match sharpness. I hope he can build himself from here. 

Clear to see where we need to improve and upgrade players. Hopefully this is the start of Isaks starting run from next week. Almiron has needed resting for two months now. Bruno was great and Joe was sadly off the pace. Nothing really we didn't know for next summer.

We still need: 

- a RCB

- a DM and likely another CM

- Another creative wide player

- a Wilson replacement. Jonathon David please.

- potentially a LB too.

I was a bit surprised to see Eddie be possibly a bit less ruthless and more compassionate with his subs and giving people a go. If a goal was coming it was through ASM and Brunos creativity. I feel sorry for targett, I think he needs to get more minutes going forward to change things up. For quite a few of these squad players it will be their last likely chance to win something with us. I'm glad the likes of Murphy and Burn got their occasion but we are so limited depth wise.

Again, It's only the start. Dissapointed, a bit gutted but our slump, gk situation and Manures purple patch always left us severe underdogs. We will be back.

I'm not that bothered tbh, I didn't expect us to win, I was hoping we would but didn't pin any hopes on it. I'm just happy we were in a final and may it be the first of many to come. We're way ahead of schedule and probably a game too far for us but we got there and we made a go of it.

What we’ve been watching since Boxing Day is more than just about fatigue - there is an element where teams have worked out how to play against us.  The ridiculous timing of the WC has fucked us, as we won’t be able to correct this until the summer.  This side is still having an incredible season nonetheless.  But Howe’s superb management of some of these lads can only go so far - a lot of it has been identifying how to play to their strengths and cover their weaknesses; Almiron, Burn, Schar, Longstaff, Joelinton, Willock etc - the tactics and management for these lads have been superb, and their buy-in and hard work have paid off.  I’m certainly not advocating getting shot of them - but they’re the sort of players who you’d think are likely to be squad players rather than constant first XI picks if the club is to move to the next rung up the ladder. 

Think I'm done lads. I just can't take the disappointment anymore. I've given my life to this club and England over the last 30 years and its just constant heartbreak. 

I know should be proud of getting to a final and being on the up, but it means fuck all when you lose. We could reach 20 finals in a row but if we lose all of them whats the point?

Obv we don't support a team just to see them win all the time, but there's only so much I can take, it's draining putting so much in and getting broken every time.

Just now, Mattoon said:

I'm not that bothered tbh, I didn't expect us to win, I was hoping we would but didn't pin any hopes on it. I'm just happy we were in a final and may it be the first of many to come. We're way ahead of schedule and probably a game too far for us but we got there and we made a go of it.

This is where I’ll be in a couple of days time. Bit down right now but this is all spot on 

We didn't play well at all imo. At 2-0 it was game over. Apart from that ASM chance we never looked like scoring. There's such a lack of quality in the final third it's unreal. Hindsight 20-20 and all that, but Isak should've started and Targett should've been on for Burn. ASM going off made no sense at all.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

They were luckier, they scored a set piece goal and a deflection that was going wide. Not like they were creating loads all game either. Those two lucky goals come for us and we are winning that game. Fair play to Man Utd how well they closed they came out though, Ten Hag has made them really solid.

There’s nothing lucky about the first. Probably a foul. Great delivery. Great header. 2 players with great quality.  

Dan Burn missed an equally inviting header. He wasn’t unlucky. That’s Dan Burn doing Dan Burn things. That’s why he was playing for Wigan while Casemiro was winning champions leagues. That’s not lucky that’s class. 

Just now, NUFCDoog said:

Think I'm done lads. I just can't take the disappointment anymore. I've given my life to this club and England over the last 30 years and its just constant heartbreak. 

I know should be proud of getting to a final and being on the up, but it means fuck all when you lose. We could reach 20 finals in a row but if we lose all of them whats the point?

Obv we don't support a team just to see them win all the time, but there's only so much I can take, it's draining putting so much in and getting broken every time.

Howay man, it’s sport, it’s ok to enjoy the good moments and be gutted at the bad moments but it shouldn’t ever be getting to the point that it’s too much for you to lose a league cup final against a good side after the horror show experience this club had under Ashley 

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's the story of the season really. So close but ultimately not there....yet.

Came into the season hoping we could get into Europe and that 7th spot. Going to be frustrating if we don't manage that now. 

Good times are coming, I just hope this isn't a negative watershed moment for Howe and the team. It could be either way. I hope we don't see fans slowly turn, it was a fully committed performance from players and fans but on the pitch we lack the game changing quality and clinical finishing.

ASM looked great coming forward but was a gamble playing higher and leaving Burn under pressure.

Glad Karius got some redemption. Could he have done better on the goals? Maybe but that would be harsh on a keeper that hasn't played in a year and lacks match sharpness. I hope he can build himself from here. 

Clear to see where we need to improve and upgrade players. Hopefully this is the start of Isaks starting run from next week. Almiron has needed resting for two months now. Bruno was great and Joe was sadly off the pace. Nothing really we didn't know for next summer.

We still need: 

- a RCB

- a DM and likely another CM

- Another creative wide player

- a Wilson replacement. Jonathon David please.

- potentially a LB too.

I was a bit surprised to see Eddie be possibly a bit less ruthless and more compassionate with his subs and giving people a go. If a goal was coming it was through ASM and Brunos creativity. I feel sorry for targett, I think he needs to get more minutes going forward to change things up. For quite a few of these squad players it will be their last likely chance to win something with us. I'm glad the likes of Murphy and Burn got their occasion but we are so limited depth wise.

Again, It's only the start. Dissapointed, a bit gutted but our slump, gk situation and Manures purple patch always left us severe underdogs. We will be back.

O0

2 minutes ago, JNK said:

Casemiro is what Makelele should have been for the first Galaticos.

He's not a flashy player but he is outstanding at what he does.

Plus, he's a natural leader and has a goat winning mentality, he's not won 5 champions on a fluke

Sadly for us he was on prime form today

Makele basically invented that position, at the very least he defined it. He was brilliant 

1 minute ago, NUFCDoog said:

Disagree.

Just the fact we’re we are in a year is amazing, yes it’s disappointing but we’ll have more adventures.

12 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Always thought you were one of the most solid posters, but I think you've gone a little bit overboard on this, dude.

We had a massive chance which I don’t think we’ll get next season and didn’t double down, that’s all.

2 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

We didn't play well at all imo. At 2-0 it was game over. Apart from that ASM chance we never looked like scoring. There's such a lack of quality in the final third it's unreal. Hindsight 20-20 and all that, but Isak should've started and Targett should've been on for Burn. ASM going off made no sense at all.

Think Targett would be way off match fitness sadly, I would have liked him to start 

Just now, Shearergol said:

We’re not as good as our league position says. We will be though . Bruno and Botman, maybe pope and isaak. That’s it.

The results suggest we are where we deserve to be, but I don’t expect us to be there in May.  That’s ok with me tbh - I can see where we’re headed.  Some of the implosions which might follow next season will be seismic - this rebuild will take time, and I could easily see us finishing 7th/8th/9th for a couple of seasons until all the off-pitch commercial stuff is sorted and the squad is thoroughly rebuilt. It’s going to require patience

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

There’s nothing lucky about the first. Probably a foul. Great delivery. Great header. 2 players with great quality.  

Dan Burn missed an equally inviting header. He wasn’t unlucky. That’s Dan Burn doing Dan Burn things. That’s why he was playing for Wigan while Casemiro was winning champions leagues. That’s not lucky that’s class. 

Thanks for reminding me Casemiro has more class than Dan Burn ffs. :lol: