Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Can confirm that it came across as the exact opposite on TV

Really? Our end was louder? Hope it was just where I was and the acoustics were shite or summit

Will give it a rewatch when am home

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Not sure how it came across on TV but the mancs totally outsang us even before they scored. Walking down Wembley way and the arrogant cunts were in our fans faces giving it the cheer up Alan Shearer and I knew they'd be louder as we hardly came back with owt to them

What a fucking loser

I was on holiday in Spain in 2018, a place I'd been to a dozen times. This manc bunch turns up, one of them starts singing cheer up Alan Shearer, for no reason other than he thought he could get away with it. That same night, spurs beat them 3-0 at old Trafford, the fat manc was nearly crying into his one pint of beer he managed to sup all night. I had turned up in the bar to watch it, I just happened to have a white top on with black shorts...spurs-esque. I didn't want to get deported for chinning the daft twat so I just smiled at his pain. Daft manc tosser.

Edited by dorty

Just now, jack j said:

Really? Our end was louder? Hope it was just where I was and the acoustics were shite or summit

Yeah, and by a huge amount as well. The full time whistle summed it up, us singing Geordies just before full time was louder than their celebration moments later.

6 minutes ago, dorty said:

Honestly mate, some of their fans are total tossers.

In a bar in Bansko having a piss at half time. Wearing a Toon top btw. 

Couple of older lads come and stand by the door waiting for me to finish (1 pisser) 

"don't worry lad, I think you'll come out strong in the 2nd half" 

"I hope so" 

His mate says, in a thick Welsh accent to his mate

"yeah but so will we" 

"what part of fucking Manchester are you from like" 

"I'm from Wales" 

"Plastic cunt" 

And off I walked. 

Childish and unnecessary but tickled me. 

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

Excuse me?

Were you not bubbling on about the Bruno song before the game?  Now we were “out sung” by manu?  Cheer up fella. Enjoy the fact you were there and this is just the start of the journey. 

I was block 527 right next to the Man U fans, they stood all game but the one’s near us were very quiet. We generally did sit down but we were singing. 

Our end was definitely louder in the most part. If we’d have scored 1st, when they did, it would have been off the map.

14 minutes ago, jack j said:

It was incredibly loud where I was sat for about 50% of the game. Obviously when we went 2-0 it died down a bit, but first 25 mins and then second half I thought it was great.

(and I was sitting in block 133… the bit you claim was quiet)

1 minute ago, RS said:

Were you not bubbling on about the Bruno song before the game?  Now we were “out sung” by manu?  Cheer up fella. Enjoy the fact you were there and this is just the start of the journey. 

Not the only one to say the atmosphere was poor am I?

It's our first cup final in 24 years and most around me stood in silence for 90 mins

Whats the point? We take the piss out of Man Utd and their tourist support. Most of ours were like tourists yesterday

If this is the route the "journey" is already taking then am not sure its going to be the be all and end all people expect

Sorry if that makes me miserable but I really thought our support had more in them

Didn't come across that way on TV. Our fans weren't quiet by any stretch of the imagination but I watched it yesterday with 20 odd fans (one Newcastle fan, fair play to him :lol:) and we all commentated on how brilliant your support was from Saturday right through til Sunday. 

Flags are way more effective than scarves. :lol:

44 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm absolutely gutted like, but I can't say it's because of any lack of effort, endeavour, or even performance really. Our players are at their ceilings and I can't ask for more than that. Better players will have higher ceilings.

That's the first time I've even seen us compete in a Wembley final, but as soon as Man United scored twice from what felt like their 2% of possession in the first half, it felt like nothing went our way. Even at 2-0 down I felt like we could win if just something went our way, but it never did.

Can't say I was angry or frustrated, just sad really. But that's a measure of the already huge achievement of coming from where we were to where we are, we shouldn’t even be here yet. Howe and that team were close to being infinite in Newcastle's history and they all were more than worthy of achieving that, so despite being well ahead of schedule, it's sad that they didn't. So proud of the effort and to see our club so well represented at Wembley by Howe, the players, the performance, the fans, and Wor Flags. 

JLA got it spot on about saying that it was like the last day of year 11 with these players in that final, there's definitely an end of The Breakfast Club feeling about this group, like. :lol:

For a lot of the players and for Howe of course, this is just the beginning, but for others they'll move on and so will we. A lot of those players will have a David Kelly feel about them imo - crucial players in our history who you love and you'd have loved to have stayed and achieved something, but will go hopefully to be replaced by our next Andy Cole or Peter Beardsley.

I'm sure once the sadness lifts and we look back on this season, the overriding feeling will be hugely positive. We don't demand a team that wins, we demand a club that tries. We've absolutely got that, but it's not just one that tries, it competes. One thing is for certain in all of this, we're definitely back.

This sums up completely my feelings from yesterday. The pride everyone gave was immense, but none more so than our fans, this was incredible and a spectacle that will be long remembered. This is just a start to our success, we now have a team and management we can be proud of, but also one that are clearly proud of our part in this. To everyone who went to the match, thank you, and to everyone who was in London too, thank you, you did us proud. You will be remembered. 

6 minutes ago, jack j said:

Not the only one to say the atmosphere was poor am I?

It's our first cup final in 24 years and most around me stood in silence for 90 mins

Whats the point? We take the piss out of Man Utd and their tourist support. Most of ours were like tourists yesterday

If this is the route the "journey" is already taking then am not sure its going to be the be all and end all people expect

Sorry if that makes me miserable but I really thought our support had more in them

I genuinely haven’t got a clue what you’re banging on about.

Perhaps your section was quiet (so much for sage standing to improve atmosphere), but the seated area of 133, 134 etc behind the goal was standing all game and singing for very large parts of it. Not necessarily blaring out tunes start to finish all in unison, but showing a lot of support and big pockets of songs.

I just think you’re unrealistically expecting everyone to be full pelt for 90 mins…it has never been like that and isn’t at any club.

Man Utd fans were in large parts quiet as a mouse… certainly until they scored. They were loud at the end of the first half and towards the end of the game. The scarves were pretty pathetic. But that game also didn’t mean as much to them as it did to us. There clearly wasn’t the excitement in the fanbase on the levels of ours.

Didn’t hear a peep from their fans until they scored, then there was sporadic noise in the second half.

Our fans were great apart from a spell between their first goal and about the 60th min, after we’d had the stuffing knocked out of us.

Couldn't believe how many of their fans didn’t bother staying for the trophy presentation, there were dozens on the tube after the game, including a fair few singing in support of Mason Greenwood.

On the plus side, Nobby Solano is on my train home and just got a photo with him my son, so happy days.

What I will say though is that passion is shown in multiple ways. There’s a large chunk of our away support who, although they sing when things are going well, spend the rest of the time pissing and moaning and generally being twats. Guy behind me screaming at the players after the second goal went in… “you’re a fucking embarrassment… you don’t deserve to wear the shirt”. Just pricks who use a match day to vent all of the anger from their miserable lives. It’s pathetic. He left to go to the bar 5 mins before half time, and was gone before the end of the game. They’re the ones who claim to be super passionate and vocal, but most of the time it manifests itself in man-child billy-big-bollocks behaviour. It’s not support… it might be loud… but it’s not support.

I was in safe standing and can confirm that the atmosphere in our end was dire. I was in disbelief, as were quite a few around who were trying to get things going with us.

Either people were tuckered out after winning the Trafalgar Square Trophy or just didn’t think we had a prayer/were too nervous to fully engage, but it was the weirdest/most disappointing crowd I can recall being a part of.

Only have Cardiff to compare it to in terms of a big, one-off game on neutral ground, but it wasn’t even close to the same level. There wasn’t a single rendition of Blaydon Races, was there?

At least everyone waved the flags at the end, though, when the game was already gone.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

What I will say though is that passion is shown in multiple ways. There’s a large chunk of our away support who, although they sing when things are going well, spend the rest of the time pissing and moaning and generally being twats. Guy behind me screaming at the players after the second goal went in… “you’re a fucking embarrassment… you don’t deserve to wear the shirt”. Just pricks who use a match day to vent all of the anger from their miserable lives. It’s pathetic. He left to go to the bar 5 mins before half time, and was gone before the end of the game. They’re the ones who claim to be super passionate and vocal, but most of the time it manifests itself in man-child billy-big-bollocks behaviour. It’s not support… it might be loud… but it’s not support.

Hate going at fans but definitely came across like this near me. 

Few lads were vocal for the majority of the game tbf to them, but they were also the biggest babies around as well, constant moaning.

And left early at half time and before the end of the game?!

And can confirm everyone was standing lower bowl around me for 90 mins. Atmosphere was good but understandably nervous and the quick fire goals really knocked us.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I was in safe standing and can confirm that the atmosphere in our end was dire. I was in disbelief, as were quite a few around who were trying to get things going with us.

Either people were tuckered out after winning the Trafalgar Square Trophy or just didn’t think we had a prayer/were too nervous to fully engage, but it was the weirdest/most disappointing crowd I can recall being a part of.

Only have Cardiff to compare it to in terms of a big, one-off game on neutral ground, but it wasn’t even close to the same level. There wasn’t a single rendition of Blaydon Races, was there?

At least everyone waved the flags at the end, though, when the game was already gone.

Yep this is exactly how I felt too. 

Genuinely surprised at the people disagreeing with jack in this thread. 

40 minutes ago, 80 said:

This is the first league cup final I've paid attention to in my life and it's a weird feeling. The sense of finality and pathos is legit, and yet we need to shake out of it as there's nearly half the season to go, and it's the business end.

The positioning of the FA Cup final in the calendar makes a lot more sense to me.

The middle of the season finale makes it a weird feeling, so does the random 2 legged semi final.

I think it has a place, but something needs to be done about the schedule, especially having 2 legged semi’s in January when you are just finishing the Christmas/New Year schedule, and are coming into FA Cup games.

I honestly wouldn’t be adverse to combining it with the Scottish League Cup, however Rangers & Celtic aside no Scottish team would win it, as well as Plymouth being able to play Inverness on a Tuesday night isn’t ideal.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Glad you posted this

People thinking I'm just being a miserable cunt but a few of yous agree

Just now, Superior Acuña said:

Can only think the atmosphere varied a lot spatially. :lol: surprised the safe standing part would be a shit bit - would think you choose to be there cos you want to gan radge

Got a feeling alot around me were *special favours* Alex hurst was the row behind.....

Just now, jack j said:

Got a feeling alot around me were *special favours* Alex hurst was the row behind.....

Maybe it was specific to your area. I dunno. 133 just in front of you was certainly loud for large portions.

But again… it’s unrealistic to expect everyone to be going full pelt for 90 mins.