Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Bruno and Botman didn’t look close to that today.  Thought they were two of the worst performers. 

I don't think Bruno was that bad, he lacked match sharpness but would hardly say he was our worst performer.

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:
14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

One thing for sure is I'm buzzing to be back in Europe. One tremendous achievement from this season, regardless of which competition. 

Long way to go this season before we are guaranteed Europe though.

Ah. Assumed we'd get the place given Man Utd will inevitably qualify for Europe through the league. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Ah. Assumed we'd get the place given Man Utd will inevitably qualify for Europe through the league. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Oh you may be right, I wasn’t aware that was a thing tbh.

If the Carabao Cup winners finish top 4 (as Man-U will) then it goes to the highest placed team in the league, not the runners up

I think 7th in the league will get Europa Conference assuming one of the top 5 wins the FA Cup (will cheer City on to win it)

Well, didn't post before or during the match, and watched it home with my son before I drove him back down to Uni tonight at Teesside.

The result was disappointing (of course) and we still lack a cutting edge up front, but you know what... I just dont feel too disheartened about it, because we gave it a go. We didn't freeze like we did in 98 and 99, or the charity shield in 96, and this wasn't an easy win for the opposition.

I'll admit, when those flags were waving before kick off showing full black and white stripes, and with local hero playing, then the surfer started going up, I welled up. It just seemed that this would lift the players and take us up the notch we might need. Ultimately, we couldn't really break Man U down, but we still had a bloody good go.

Then in the 90th minute, flags waving again, almost in defiance, and I welled up again. Not in disappointment, but pride in the supporters and the team.

Karius - no complaints from me. First goal, nothing he could do. Second, maybe he went down a bit soon, but the slight deflection didn't help him either. And then he made a couple of good stops to keep us in it. A bit of redemption for him, I think.

But, I'm proud of the team today. They didn't win, but they had a go, and thats all we can ask. And hopefully, this is just the start of a long journey where we'll be in finals more often than not, and we'll have to win one of them eventually!! [emoji38]

Anyway, back to the league, and lets hope we can gets our heads back into it and try and get the results to finish 5th, or even 4th (with a fair wind,a dn a bit of luck).

:clap2::indi:

Edited by TK-421

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:
5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Oh you may be right, I wasn’t aware that was a thing tbh.

If the Carabao Cup winners finish top 4 (as Man-U will) then it goes to the highest placed team in the league, not the runners up

I think 7th in the league will get Europa Conference assuming one of the top 5 wins the FA Cup (will cheer City on to win it)

Yes, you're correct. 7th in the PL gets it.

Not particularly surprising that I've lost touch with that particular rule change. :lol:

Still, it widens the door. Would b be a catastrophe if we finished below Brighton and Fulham, particularly having done the double over the latter.

Im not very analytical when watching from the stands, but it seemed frustrating that we were getting in good positions around the edge of the box then trying to find the perfect pass when sometimes we should needed to have a shot. Particularly ASM making a good run and I expected him to cut in and shoot, but he didn’t and it’d fizzle out 

Edited by Superior Acuña

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Yes, you're correct. 7th in the PL gets it.

Not particularly surprising that I've lost touch with that particular rule change. :lol:

Still, it widens the door. Would b be a catastrophe if we finished below Brighton and Fulham, particularly having done the double over the latter.

Aye, from this position 7th needs to be the minimum we get

Back from the match (live down south). Was fucking embarrassing seeing Man Utd fans leaving on the final whistle. Fucking tonnes of them not even waiting for the trophy or anything.

Looked like they considered it a glorified league victory.

We weren't creative enough, clinical enough nor experienced enough in the big occasion.

Hopefully it comes because, just one time, it would be nice to leave Wembley a winner.

Fans were great. Today was a prime example of one team having been there and done it and another side getting there without that experience.

Thought Casemiro and Shaw were their best players and AWB did well against Maximim.

Sincerely wish we had an alternative to Trippier who's set pieces were poor again and have been for months.

26 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

It’s a nothing trophy to them in fairness. They only want to win it because it’s something to build in for future success. Every chance ell get like that towards the league cup at some point.

Nah, I’m not having that. It’s a major cup, it goes down in major honours lists. You can’t pick and choose, especially after you paid your money to go as well.

As I said earlier though, their fan base is history. Sure there might have been some serious fans of theirs in the past, but winning things to them means nothing now. The vast majority of their fans are made up of people who have a passing interest in the sport and have chosen them because they regularly win things. Those who were loyal supporters before the success are now so used to winning things that when they do win things, it’s not special to them anymore.

That club honestly has nothing going for them, it’s like a Fabergé egg, looks the part on the outside, absolutely fucking hollow on the inside.

I think that's more about their lack of genuine fandom than the magnitude of the trophy.

The effort to get there, wherever they are from, but not stay to see the bit that's the whole point?!

If anything I'd rather miss the match and turn up to see the trophy being raised than the opposite.

Edited by Wolfcastle