Manchester City vs. Newcastle United: 04/03/23 @ 12:30 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

Isak has been bullied out of numerous games in limited starts man.

I’m not defending Wilson, it’s just canny obvious why Howe would prefer him.

Bullied? When and against who? Bournemouth away is the only game since he's returned from injury (and only his 3rd start since his return) where he's looked noticeably poor though so were the entire team that day.

When Wilson has been poor since the WC I don't think it's canny obvious at all why he's starting over our 23 year old £63m striker.

10 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Bullied? When and against who? Bournemouth away is the only game since he's returned from injury (and only his 3rd start since his return) where he's looked noticeably poor though so were the entire team that day.

When Wilson has been poor since the WC I don't think it's canny obvious at all why he's starting over our 23 year old £63m striker.

Wilson has been shit but he’s far more physical than Isak. We can theorise all we like about how Isak would do but it’s patently obvious why Howe would go with the more traditional 9 away to Man City (if he’s right to do so we’ll see).

Cannot be arsed to find the games but Isak has been anonymous in a few of his starts like. 

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Not so bothered as some that we are starting with Almiron and Wilson, it means we have some real game changers on the bench in Maxi and Isak. Conversely, I don't think either Miggy or Wison offer as much threat coming on as subs.

16 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Schar missing with concussion supposedly.

I knew he should have come off in the cup final. He didn't look right at all. And wasn't he marking casemiro for the first goal?? 

It’s quite clear Eddie has prioritised keeping It tight with the light up. 

I don’t hate, ASM would leave us badly exposed against this lot and despite Wilson’s current malaise he’s still got more physically than Isak. 

14 minutes ago, Shak said:

Think Almiron and Gordon on the wings and then that midfield trio is going to maximise our ability to defend from the front with the press.

Definitely seems unfair on ASM given he's looked alright the last couple of games while Miggy has been poor but ultimately we're just going to have to accept that when push comes to shove Maxi isn't what Howe wants in a player. Hopefully he can be a valuable contributor over the next few months and then we can get good money for him and use it to buy someone that fits in better with our philosophy.

That's a great comment and I'll just add that the press is not just to "defend from the front". Winning the ball high created a lot of goals for us in the first half of the season.

The caveat here being that most of those goals were against weaker sides, not Top 6 teams like Man City. The second goal at Spurs being the exception.

12 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

I knew he should have come off in the cup final. He didn't look right at all. And wasn't he marking casemiro for the first goal?? 

Yep. Said that post match. Was at the game and he wasn’t right and it seemed to unsettle us along with the long delay.

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I hate Lascelles :lol:

I mean it's not like he does anything worth hating.

He knows his role in the squad and doesn't kick up a fuss or complain despite being club captain, everyone's said he's a good leader behind the scenes, seemingly the only player that can score goals from a corner with a header.