Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Was on another level last night. Sat near the corner flag in the Gallowgate. Didn’t even catch the lads name next to me but it was like I’d grown up with him? everyone around fully taking the moment in. Beautiful to see.

Is anywhere showing a replay of the full game so I can take it in again??

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Got in (Leazes) about 45/50 mins before ko. 

Never in my days have I known the concourse like that so long before ko. Absolutely rammed. People singing.

I knew at that point it was going to be something special. When you get a team that knows how to harness and use that atmosphere, it’s amazing.

A word on the PSG fans - totally agree with what someone said elsewhere about generally not being a fan of the contrived atmosphere that these European clubs create - BUT - fair fucks to them last night as they were pretty relentless, and you can’t say they didn’t add to the occasion, especially leading up to ko, when they were great.

I actually thought that in a way they helped us. Thinking back to the semi final last season when you had that period for a lot of the second half, where you could almost feel a really nervous sense of disquiet sweep across the stadium, it could have been like that after they scored last night. But when you’ve got some mad fucker relentlessly banging a drum that sounds like machine gun fire, you don’t get the same uneasy eeriness.

Also final word on Wor Flags. Had the pleasure of having @Heron and crew not far in front of us doing the ‘We are the Geordie Boys’ sign. Singing non-stop pre-display. A particular highlight being ‘you can shove your Eiffel Tower up your arse’ ?

Hahaha Aye I enjoyed that rendition!

10 minutes ago, ryanegg said:

Was on another level last night. Sat near the corner flag in the Gallowgate. Didn’t even catch the lads name next to me but it was like I’d grown up with him? everyone around fully taking the moment in. Beautiful to see.

Is anywhere showing a replay of the full game so I can take it in again??

I wasn't there last night but sounds just like the Barca match in 97, hugging complete strangers like we'd known each other all of our lives and it felt like the most natural thing in the world :smitten:

3 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Given how good the atmosphere was against PSG, can you imagine what it would be like if we had a proper, organised singing end? I wonder if we will ever get to find out.

Praying we get Euro 2028 and it kickstarts a stadium redevelopment plan. If we don’t start soon, not sure how we will do anything to the stadium until after 2028…

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

Praying we get Euro 2028 and it kickstarts a stadium redevelopment plan. If we don’t start soon, not sure how we will do anything to the stadium until after 2028…

There's only our bid left to host it so fair to say it looks pretty locked in, will be confirmed on Tuesday. 

2 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

There's only our bid left to host it so fair to say it looks pretty locked in, will be confirmed on Tuesday. 

Let’s hope it means some form of building work starts soon then. I’m not sure it will though :/

Howe was asked about it in the presser this morning; On expanding St James' Park: "I would love for it to be done and I'm sure if it can, the club will do it. Again, it's not a simple process, but we'd love to get more supporters into the stadium watching us play."

I didn't think that SJP would ever get near the heights of the 1990s again but it got very close on Wednesday. Not quite as good as Barca 1997, but pretty damned close. That's not a slight on the support, who were magnificent, but more to do with the fact that the SJP acoustics were simply much better back then.

You could just tell it was going to be special on Wednesday though. In the streets around town before kick-off, everyone was singing on their walk up to the ground. And it seems most people were smart enough to ensure that they were in the ground early this time, what with all of the issues with ticketing.

The bar has been set now though. Wednesday showed that SJP can still be a bear pit, like the old days. So anything less going forward is now on the crowd. :)

Edited by Wandy

23 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I didn't think that SJP would ever get near the heights of the 1990s again but it got very close on Wednesday. Not quite as good as Barca 1997, but pretty damned close. That's not a slight on the support, who were magnificent, but more to do with the fact that the SJP acoustics were simply much better back then.

You could just tell it was going to be special on Wednesday though. In the streets around town before kick-off, everyone was singing on the their walk up to the ground. And it seems most people were smart enough to ensure that they were in the ground early this time, what with all of the issues with ticketing.

The bar has been set now though. Wednesday showed that SJP can still be a bear pit, like the old days. So anything less going forward is now on the crowd. :)

even with the current acoustics, all it would take is to put in  standing areas in each of the three other corners and the atmosphere would rocket.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

even with the current acoustics, all it would take is to put in  standing areas in each of the three other corners and the atmosphere would rocket.

Fair point. Any expansion absolutely must come with a rethink of how fans are placed within the stadium.

I know a huge bonus of SJP is amount of pubs nearby but I can see how it hinders the atmosphere in a way. I got in at 7:25pm on Wednesday and it seemed nearly full, that definetly spills over into stands and improves atmosohere. There is a big argument for big games to get in early and let the atmosphere build.

Btw this is coming from me who likes to get my last pint in at 2:30pm (when we lucky enough to play at 3pm)

UCL Twitter account clipped up 4 different occasions where Newcastle players (Burn, Bruno, Tripps and Gordon) made tackle/blocks and the fans went nuts for it. We've gotten use to that happening in the last few games at home but it was on another level on Wednesday. Especially during those first 15 minutes, seemed like every tackle where ever it was on the pitch was celebrated. 

50 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

The roar for the last bit of the CL anthem was really incredible. I'll never forget that and I was just watching it on TV. Set the stage for the atmosphere the rest of the night.

The roar building from 1:10 is my favourite bit. Spine tingling.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

UCL Twitter account clipped up 4 different occasions where Newcastle players (Burn, Bruno, Tripps and Gordon) made tackle/blocks and the fans went nuts for it. We've gotten use to that happening in the last few games at home but it was on another level on Wednesday. Especially during those first 15 minutes, seemed like every tackle where ever it was on the pitch was celebrated. 

It’s actually a clever tactic - really intimates the opposition especially when the crowd go bonkers 

Late to the party I know, but to echo what others have said - I've never, ever experienced St James' like that. Absolutely rammed about 30 minutes before kick off. It truly was a magical experience.

Just like at the back end of last season, I couldn't help but look to the sky on occasion and think of lost family members who'd have been amazed at the state of the club now (in a good way of course). I know that's a bit cringe but my brother and Grandad would be fucking loving every second of this. Can't lie I had a tear in my eye when that anthem was playing, followed by the roar half way through. I'd have liked Local Hero post-anthem but I'm guessing Uefa regulation or something.

A truly remarkable night on and off the pitch. I'm telling you now - shove Anfield etc up your arse. When St James' is as one, there is nowhere like it on these shores. That's a fact.

The couple of nights in Milan and Wednesday night were by far and away the best and happiest I have EVER felt being a Newcastle United fan. It made them years of misery worth it. I felt like I'd had 5 e's on Thursday morning man, the comedown was mad.

For those of us who are lucky enough to be parents, the best thing about it is that our lads and lasses will get to experience nights like that on a much more regular occurrence than we ever have. The jammy little bastards.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Late to the party I know, but to echo what others have said - I've never, ever experienced St James' like that. Absolutely rammed about 30 minutes before kick off. It truly was a magical experience.

Just like at the back end of last season, I couldn't help but look to the sky on occasion and think of lost family members who'd have been amazed at the state of the club now (in a good way of course). I know that's a bit cringe but my brother and Grandad would be fucking loving every second of this. Can't lie I had a tear in my eye when that anthem was playing, followed by the roar half way through. I'd have liked Local Hero post-anthem but I'm guessing Uefa regulation or something.

A truly remarkable night on and off the pitch. I'm telling you now - shove Anfield etc up your arse. When St James' is as one, there is nowhere like it on these shores. That's a fact.

The couple of nights in Milan and Wednesday night were by far and away the best and happiest I have EVER felt being a Newcastle United fan. It made them years of misery worth it. I felt like I'd had 5 e's on Thursday morning man, the comedown was mad.

For those of us who are lucky enough to be parents, the best thing about it is that our lads and lasses will get to experience nights like that on a much more regular occurrence than we ever have. The jammy little bastards.

the best thing about wednesday night was being there with my favourite three children - cant get the 12 yr old daughter interested.

i was in tears when Miggy scored and i've never been hugged tighter in my life.

was fucking wonderful.