Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Can't see the ffp rules helping with atmosphere here or anywhere else. 

Big part of it is the hope of a journey towards better times, or the fear of losing status. If neither of those things is possible, especially with the newer fan mentality, how passionate can they be about a game against Wolves that likely means nothing beyond the head to head.

30 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Oh my god. People on my call saying pyro after goals would be good for atmosphere…

Fuuuuck me. :lol:

There was some shocking ideas put forward at the ballot thing I was at n'al. 

Main Point from each Table

Table 1: Independent sellers to take stuff to your seat so people don’t leave before HT and come in after HT.

Table 2: Queueing system outside affecting it. Local kids teams on the pitch to get people in earlier to improve atmosphere…

Table 3: Expand safe standing - have four corners (well done that table)

Table 4: Having lyrics to chants on the screen 🫠

Family area as dedicated singing area (home and away against each other)

Half time - songs updated for DJ. Ask fans what they want…

PA system too loud

Table 5: Singing section expansion and into different parts of ground (well done that table)

Sititng amongst likeminded people 

Videos with lyrics to chants on the website (what the actual Fuck?! Bad form that table)

Table 6: Everything rests on likeminded people into one section and move those who don’t into another part of the stadium 👍🏻

Cheaper tickets next to away fans to spark atmosphere 👍🏻

Friends being able to sit next to each other 👍🏻

Table 7: People to regroup at end of season so can be together.

Club to support a dedicated fan group for making noise

Half time entertainment - Zorbs…

Cut out birthday announcements

DJ is shit 

More screens

We like pyro

New singing section away from Strawberry Corner 

Table 8: Specific singing section

Members to choose where they can sit and be involved in safe standing 👍🏻

Drums 50:50 split

Improve PA system 

More screens

Ability to move ST to go into safe standing 

Digital ticketing = larger queues 

Fan Cam…

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

Table 9: Improve wifi, so people can do quizzes before the game…interactive stuff etc. 

Maybe some bingo :lol:

Given up. It’s all a load of shite.

I was a bit of a cunt in mine on zoom like :lol:

I said the crux of the issue is ticketing and nothing will change until that is sorted. 

24 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Main Point from each Table

Table 1: Independent sellers to take stuff to your seat so people don’t leave before HT and come in after HT.

“Hot dogs, get your hot dogs. Foot long wiener with a bag of nuts”

Independent sellers to take stuff to your seat 

Half time entertainment - Zorbs…

More screens

We like pyro 

Fan Cam

Improve wifi, so people can do quizzes before the game

The people behind these suggestions, were they answering a different question or something? How the fuck's any of this improving atmosphere? Absolute garbage. 

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

Oh my god. People on my call saying pyro after goals would be good for atmosphere…

That was a negative and right now I need two positives, one to cancel out the negative and another one so I can have a positive

Just now, bobbydazzla said:

That was a negative and right now I need two positives, one to cancel out the negative and another one so I can have a positive

Fancy doing a quiz?

Pyro? Jesus Christ, it’s a football match. What is wrong with people. I just want to watch a football match in an atmosphere where everyone’s engaged and getting stuck in, making noise, cheering the lads on etc. that’s all I want 

36 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Table 9: Improve wifi, so people can do quizzes before the game…interactive stuff etc. 

Is this a joke man [emoji38]

Let's get past players to come out at half time and play charades as well eh, whilst the peanut seller throws peanuts to the punters.

Dear me, they can have my tickets back[emoji38]

Did some of tables get the wrong brief ?  

“suggest some absolutely ridiculous ideas that have no relevance at all with watching a football match and will in no way improve match atmosphere” 

Edited by bobbydazzla

To improve the atmosphere you need;

1. Clearly designated areas for people who want to make a load of noise, ideally safe standing

2. Make it easy (by which I mean people can buy/apply for tickets specifically in these areas) & affordable for those people to get tickets in those areas

Without those two changes things like pre-match music, half time entertainment, pyro (:pilko:) etc is just skimming the surface. 

I'll be honest I think it was a good session. The vast, vast majority were in agreement that light shows and choreographed pyrotechnics were all shite and too American. Instead opting for a more organic, European atmosphere.

Virtually all tables opted for further safe standing and/or singing sections.

Virtually all tables opted for local music tapping into heritage and up-to-date songs that hold relevance to current players to get the crowd going.

Some folk suggested a silent spell 15mins before kick off to allow the crowd to have the atmosphere build and some also suggested the flag displays started and lasted for longer throughout that period as they considered Wor Flags' displays a big catalyst for the atmosphere.

Of course, there were suggestions of fan cams :lol: and one or two other ridiculous items but on the whole it was positive I'd say. The proof is in the pudding though with whatever actions are taken.

There were several other good suggestions aiding the overall atmosphere or "entertainment" however you want to dress it up I guess but generally it was stuff we've seen before or that has previously worked better than the current set up, I'd say.

Edited by Heron