Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

Can only see the ballot having a negative effect on atmosphere if you can select your own seats or even your own stand. You'll have people who don't want to sing in the Gallowgate and more vocal people stuck in the East Stand or Leazes. It just wouldn't work.

True...I'm hoping the 1800 standing make enough racket that the gallowgate is more flowing. Realistically shouldnt be hard to get around 6k singing regulary to spread easier. All about the right folk i guess

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It's got to be similar to Wembley surely? You're successful in a ballot to get a ticket and you go through and then pick your seat? 

Imagine if a pensioner who can't walk too far without being knackered gets given a seat on L7, or a student/young lad aiming to get a seat in the 18-21 section in the Milburn-Leazes corner gets put in the Platinum Club and asked for 70+ bar? Rancid if that happens, like.

Especially for me personally, as I've been buying my old ST seat I had from 2016-2019 to be next to my dad and been successful in all but 3 matches last season. 

Think a massive issue is that they’ve told us fuck all about how this ballot will actually work.

I’m the same as you, bought the same seat in the ground most of last season.

If that seat already sold there was another a couple of rows away that was just as good.

I’ve made pals with the ST’s in that area and it was just like the old days, seeing familiar friendly faces each game. 

Edited by bobbydazzla

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It's got to be similar to Wembley surely? You're successful in a ballot to get a ticket and you go through and then pick your seat? 

Imagine if a pensioner who can't walk too far without being knackered gets given a seat on L7, or a student/young lad aiming to get a seat in the 18-21 section in the Milburn-Leazes corner gets put in the Platinum Club and asked for 70+ bar? Rancid if that happens, like.

Especially for me personally, as I've been buying my old ST seat I had from 2016-2019 to be next to my dad and been successful in all but 3 matches last season. 

Not sure why people keep saying this about Wembley. That’s not what happened is it? If you were successful in the ballot you were just assigned a seat

1 minute ago, Hovagod said:

Not sure why people keep saying this about Wembley. That’s not what happened is it? If you were successful in the ballot you were just assigned a seat

It was. I sorted out my dad's due to him being shit with computers and was able to select seats. He was in pot 3 iirc.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

It was. I sorted out my dad's due to him being shit with computers and was able to select seats. He was in pot 3 iirc.

Yes, I think the people guaranteed a ticket could choose, but after pot three it went to a lottery and those people couldn’t 

7 minutes ago, SteV said:

Bit how is that different to last season? There was nothing stopping people who didn’t want to sing buying tickets in the Gallowgate or wherever?

Cos you would also get people who did want to sing and stand buying tickets in the sections where people sing and stand. 

Whereas if it’s now computer allocated, there’s less chance of that happening. 

I might choose Gallowgate and end up in an area where everyone stays seated. When where I actually want to be is Strawberry Corner.

But we don’t know what the seat allocation process actually is, cos the communication from the club has been very poor. 

10 minutes ago, SteV said:

Bit how is that different to last season? There was nothing stopping people who didn’t want to sing buying tickets in the Gallowgate or wherever?

Because people who wanted to make a racket would try for the Gallowgate and others would head for quieter areas. A random seat allocation would mean noisier people could be put in quiet areas and vice versa. That would do nowt for the atmosphere.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Why?

New membership rules: £44 cheapest seats, can't choose where you sit, if enter have to be willing to pay for top level seats if allocated, fans feeling detached etc etc. 

Edited by Vedder

5 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Why?

Your kidding right? People normally choose where they sit so they can be with like minded people. So from now on, you buy a ticket but cant have any say whatsoever in being in a "singing" section.

There’ll be 80 year olds having to trek up to level 7, prawn sarny munchers in the strawberry corner and radgies in the posh seats 

it’s a fucking car crash 

Whoever in the club hierarchy thought this new system was a good idea needs to come out in public and explain why 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Feel people's pain.

Managed to get my own situation sorted out with ST but it was seriously stressful and the club were pretty difficult to deal with in all honesty.

I was passed around pillar to post getting scripted bullshit answers, and even when they offered me some sort of ballot for every game, they had no further Information on what it entailed etc.

The cost has went up across many ST areas now so can imagine the increases are filtering down to general/member sale tickets also.

I want the club to be competitive I really do, and if this is a requirement then ok, I'll take my medicine. But they really need to be clearer on what exactly is happening and for what reasons otherwise people are rightly going to be confused/angry.

This feels rushed and haphazard unfortunately and they really need to come out with firm answers and visions going forward.

Even just not being able to regularly go to the same section will confuse people a lot. Even if it's not the loudest section of the ground, you get comfortable with what noise you can make and when. Working it out every week will put a lot of people off. 

Aye, it's unquestionably going to have an impact on the atmosphere and the experience of many match-going supporters, season ticket holders included.

If our little crew from up the back of the Gallowgate middle is disrupted, I'll be genuinely gutted, by the end of last season we'd got quite a few singers there.

You’ve definitely got to a very extroverted character to bowl up into an unfamiliar part of the ground, next to unfamiliar people (who’ve probably been there for years) and start belting out songs etc 

And I pity the fuckers who want to sit with a Bovril and enjoy a civilised match day experience but end up lobbed in amongst the hullabaloo of Strawberry Corner 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The people who want the expensive seats will be just as angry I guess, since now they can't pay for a nicer seat even if they wanted to. 

Yep. Mr and Mrs Holly Avenue in Jesmond might not like the back row of the Gallowgate for example.