Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

My pet hate is Stand up if you love the Toon.

Might be because my knees are fucked but mostly because you will all be sitting down after two minutes! 

Prefer the Southampton, Brighton, Leicester natural rise of the crowd... Where everyone was on their feet willing the lads across the line.

9 hours ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Been sang at pretty much every home and away game this season.

Must be by a very small pocket of fans then cos I've been to pretty much every home game and a few aways and I've never heard it inside any ground for ages.

Brought a smile to my face, and of course I joined in, when I heard it on the tube on Sunday but never heard it repeated inside the ground. Used to be one of our most prominent songs as well in the 80s and 90s.

8 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Must be by a very small pocket of fans then cos I've been to pretty much every home game and a few aways and I've never heard it inside any ground for ages.

Brought a smile to my face, and of course I joined in, when I heard it on the tube on Sunday but never heard it repeated inside the ground. Used to be one of our most prominent songs as well in the 80s and 90s.

I hear it from the gallowgate end fairly loudly at least once a game normally mate, and I sit in leazes level 4

I'm absolutely certain because I thoroughly enjoy joining in as loudly as possible 😁

Edited by TheDimpleboy

9 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

My pet hate is Stand up if you love the Toon.

Might be because my knees are fucked but mostly because you will all be sitting down after two minutes! 

Prefer the Southampton, Brighton, Leicester natural rise of the crowd... Where everyone was on their feet willing the lads across the line.

Prefer leeds version tbh

Stand up and support your team

Could do with that in SJP most weeks

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2023 at 02:09, Optimistic Nut said:

https://fb.watch/l2dia7_djl/

Get this bloke out with a mic before kick-off every game until everyone sings it properly. 

Nearly as good as my mate James Lowery who used to join the Happy Cats (band fronted by Marty Craggs ex Lindisfarne) on stage to do it! Some of you might know James was at every game home and away until Ashley showed his true colours

On 29/05/2023 at 09:17, Optimistic Nut said:

I just think lifting songs for Richarlison, Mane, etc is a bit wank. Just my opinion. You hear Man Utd and Liverpool fans come out with original songs consistently. We copy them. 

Wonder how many clubs have versions (bastardisations :rant:) of Blaydon Races?:)

Edited by Doc

On 29/05/2023 at 22:15, Optimistic Nut said:

Those are mint though and should happen more often (though Albert and Robert should also get an airing). 

Changing our old songs to match current players if it fits, Fabien Schar could easily have that chant now. It's ripping off other clubs I don't like. 

This should just be a given, how the feck is not already.[emoji38]

I've never ever known demand for tickets being anywhere near what it is now. Even during the Keegan era, whilst home games were always sold out, it wasn't too difficult to get hold of away tickets and under SBR home tickets were usually still on sale a week before the game apart from for the really big games v the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool.

12 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Sold out on 1 loyalty point. Thought it would go to general 

Ibrox Stadium is a football stadium on the south side of the River Clyde in the Ibrox area of Glasgow, Scotland. The home of Rangers Football Club, Ibrox is the third largest football stadium in Scotland, with an all-seated capacity of 50,817

• 1 month later...

Wonder how the SJP atmosphere will be affected by the ballot system... will it likely mean there will be different people in each area for most matches? Or has it been like that anyway with the old system?

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Wonder how the SJP atmosphere will be affected by the ballot system... will it likely mean there will be different people in each area for most matches? Or has it been like that anyway with the old system?

Depends if members can choose seats or not.

If it’s literally a lottery and seats are allocated by a computer then I can’t see it having a positive effect on atmosphere as it’ll be impossible to have consistency with the same likeminded people being together each game, other than the ST holders obviously. 

Last season I found a group of people I really like being around, a mix of ST’s and members who all wanted to stand up and be vocal. So I’d buy a ticket there every game. 

I’ll be pissed off it that camaraderie is now over because of this fucking ballot. 

Can only see the ballot having a negative effect on atmosphere if you can select your own seats or even your own stand. You'll have people who don't want to sing in the Gallowgate and more vocal people stuck in the East Stand or Leazes. It just wouldn't work.

5 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Depends if members can choose seats or not.

If it’s literally a lottery and seats are allocated by a computer then I can’t see it having a positive effect on atmosphere as it’ll be impossible to have consistency with the same likeminded people being together each game, other than the ST holders obviously. 

Last season I found a group of people I really like being around, a mix of ST’s and members who all wanted to stand up and be vocal. So I’d buy a ticket there every game. 

I’ll be pissed off it that camaraderie is now over because of this fucking ballot. 

It's got to be similar to Wembley surely? You're successful in a ballot to get a ticket and you go through and then pick your seat? 

Imagine if a pensioner who can't walk too far without being knackered gets given a seat on L7, or a student/young lad aiming to get a seat in the 18-21 section in the Milburn-Leazes corner gets put in the Platinum Club and asked for 70+ bar? Rancid if that happens, like.

Especially for me personally, as I've been buying my old ST seat I had from 2016-2019 to be next to my dad and been successful in all but 3 matches last season. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Where were you sitting @bobbydazzla?

Front section of the Gallowgate, almost in Strawberry Corner.

Everyone stands and most are noisy and positive. View to Leazes isn’t great, but I’d rather have a sketchy view and a good group of people than the other way round.   

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

Can only see the ballot having a negative effect on atmosphere if you can select your own seats or even your own stand. You'll have people who don't want to sing in the Gallowgate and more vocal people stuck in the East Stand or Leazes. It just wouldn't work.

Bit how is that different to last season? There was nothing stopping people who didn’t want to sing buying tickets in the Gallowgate or wherever?