Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle United

Disco

We’ve done alright there to be fair. We’ve opened them up a few times, Gordon has looked very good and on another day we could be level. 
Botman has been excellent against Haaland as well. Definitely a few positives to take.

Edited by Holmesy

We've been okay. They've been the better side overall but we've played some canny stuff and should have scored at least once really.

I'm sick of Wilson at this point. Loyalty to him is hindering us and I hope Howe can see that. 

I think this is quite an absorbing contest,and we're certainly still in it at this stage. Concede another and game over,and KDB is getting far too much space. But some of our attacks have been decent,without the end product,of course ?

The subs will play a part in this

1 minute ago, NEEJ said:

Missed chances aside, when was the last time we held our own at Man City like this? 

Held our own might be a bit much but I remember playing quite well in one of Rafa's narrow losses there. The one where Yedlin scored first

Just now, dcmk said:

Thought we did ok that half.  Again it's good to see our heads don't drop when we fall behind.

Need to get more clinical in front of goal.

We weren't awful, if it was 1-1 no one could really complain. They've kept our wide players really quiet, not sure if that's on Gordon and Almiron, or because there's not much support from the full backs with Tripper staying back, and Burn not really being a full back.

For me there's three issues to work on / resolve for second half :

There is no link-up at all between Burn and Gordon. Gordon stays high, Burn plays so deep he's basically on his own byline as he's terrified of being beaten by Foden again. This is creating huge spaces for City to play in when they have the ball, and we have no support for Gordon when we do have the ball. Suggest we resolve by replacing with Targett.

Wilson is being post-World Cup Wilson, easy resolve in bringing on our attacker with the most quality, Isak.

Almiron's not even in the game, and not being mentioned because of other more glaring issues. When he is on the ball, he only cuts inside against Ake who loves him doing this as he can just stand there and watch Almiron play it back. Where has Almiron's confidence gone to try and take a man on and take a shot? Seems to have evaporated since Christmas. Would like to see Maxi on the right to go outside Ake, stretch the pitch, and whip balls in.

Positive points :

Our midfield three, aside from transitions, have largely stopped City playing through the middle very effectively and have looked very good.

Lascelles has looked effective defensively.

Joelinton has looked class.

Just now, Ronson333 said:

That Longstaff chance is still pissing me off, why did he take soooo long to take the shot.

Idk. I’m guessing waiting for the ball to drop. 

I've not been impressed with Wilson,Gordon, Almiron, basically our so called attack.

Not sure what Eddie's got up his sleeve, we've not been bad, but we could be so much better in the final third.

There never seems like theres much drive when Willock is missing, he's the type who will carry the ball up toward the attack from midfield to get into creative space, it's missing.