Newcastle United 2-1 Wolves (12/03/2023)

Yorkie

Would Pope have been a red?

Thought it was only a red and penalty if it's a deliberate foul, which I'm not sure it would have been classified as? He just gets caught in no man's land and is trying to pull out of the challenge.

Just now, Shak said:

Thought it was only a red and penalty if it's a deliberate foul, which I'm not sure it would have been classified as? He just gets caught in no man's land and is trying to pull out of the challenge.

It’s a red if it’s not attempt to play the ball. If they judge it’s a goalscoring opportunity, which is not clear because the ball might have gone out of play. 

Wasn’t a foul anyway. 

Just got back home. Well worth the trip when we win. Thought we played well in patches, lost control a few times and a couple of below par performances from our star players in Trippier and Bruno. 

However, today it felt like it was all about the result and actually scoring. The fact we got 2 is a bonus. 

I thought Schar was MOTM, Willock was in and out but did his usual and was quality late on. Botman was class, Burn was solid and Isak was unplayable for 55 mins or so. 

Watched the game in the company of the forum’s own @AyeDubbleYoo :aww:

41 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Yeah im basically saying he is trying to play the ball but the ball is so far gone, and if it’s given it’s a clumsy one not like he took him out. The fact VaR didn’t turn it over makes me think they couldn’t tell who initiated the contact 

I did think he'd overplayed it, his touch was really bad so I can understand why the ref wan't sure about it. FWIW I intiially thought it wa a stone cold pen, but after viewing from different angles. fair play to the ref, I think he called it right. Not a clear decision to be made there.

24 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Remember enjoying his passionate radio commentary in the 90s but the blancmange-faced bugger has gone off the deep end like

When you have even been bombed out on bald cunt Wraith's channel, then you really know how far you have fallen.

26 minutes ago, TRon said:

I did think he'd overplayed it, his touch was really bad so I can understand why the ref wan't sure about it. FWIW I intiially thought it wa a stone cold pen, but after viewing from different angles. fair play to the ref, I think he called it right. Not a clear decision to be made there.

Good save by you.  Not what you thought earlier. (Smug face).

31 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Just got back home. Well worth the trip when we win. Thought we played well in patches, lost control a few times and a couple of below par performances from our star players in Trippier and Bruno. 

However, today it felt like it was all about the result and actually scoring. The fact we got 2 is a bonus. 

I thought Schar was MOTM, Willock was in and out but did his usual and was quality late on. Botman was class, Burn was solid and Isak was unplayable for 55 mins or so. 

Watched the game in the company of the forum’s own @AyeDubbleYoo :aww:

Great to meet you mate, glad we delivered the win to reward you for the drive. 

4 hours ago, Shak said:

It’s a nailed-on red if given.  It’s an almost certain goal

2 hours ago, Deuce said:

Just caught the highlights. Best we’ve looked in attack for months? Shitty goal to concede, but seems like we weren’t troubled much otherwise. Pope with a couple nasty saves.

Willock and Bruno returning to full fitness helps, and Isak looked good again - I really do feel someone is going to get a right hammering off us in the next few games.  At some point, the woodwork isn’t hit and the sitters aren’t missed.  We create plenty of chances.  

Mick “plumbing new” Lowes. As has been mentioned, it seems more than just being a bitter old man given how involved he used to be as a local commentator. I can’t remember but he wasn’t forced out was he? The anger seems so extreme that it’s hard to rule out that he’s got an alcohol problem or some other destructive behaviour 

6 hours ago, Shak said:

I can see why it wasn't given but I can also see why they are given.

Pope looked to have impeded the player but when you look at it closer you can see Jiminez ran into Pope and Pope did try to avoid.

It can be taken both ways and any Wolves fan and maybe many fans would claim it and a stone wall penalty but I'm being a bit biased and also seeing it as 6 of one and half a dozen of the other in terms of what was or wasn't.

I thought we played really well in the first half and Wolves were struggling to live with us.

In the second half we got a little bit nervy and lost a lot of fluency and allowed Wolves a fair bit of impetus.

But all in all when you consider the pressure was on to get 3 points, the team performed really well for most part of the game.

The error for their goal was simply one of those things and any player can slip. Trippier had an otherwise solid game but then again credit to the entire team because nobody hid.

I was impressed with Maxi yesterday and I thought Murphy did well. Willock is getting back to his best and Dan Burn did a decent job along with the entire back line.

All in all it was a great effort to get back to winning ways and a nice pep up going into Fridays game against Forest.

Well done Eddie and the lads.

Lolz at NUFC.tv for not including the Pope incident in the extended highlights. All you get a close up of a sheepish looking Pope walking off at HT.

I was too drunk/bad river to notice during the game, but this does look like handball following the Bruno header onto the bar. In moving images, it looks like him palming it away.

image.thumb.png.b919b7539626090a11f8e993ac9a0bcc.png

image.thumb.png.928bfc98875aefc4af15a3963ea9c59a.png