Newcastle United 6-1 Tottenham Hotspur (23/04/2023)

Disco

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

"Is this real life" crossed my mind over and over again yesterday :lol:

Totally. Messaged my dad after the fifth just saying "Am I dreaming?" 

That only one other team has ever done what we did (and that being Pep's Man City, so an entity that exists on a unique plain to all other football teams) demonstrates how surreal and special that opening 20 minutes was. Sure Spurs were broken, but broken teams play most weeks in the Premier League, they don't concede five before the concourses have emptied. We were absolutely amazing. 

That was the most scintillating 20 minutes I've ever seen a Newcastle team produce. That would probably have been the case if it was against a side bottom of the league, to do it in this context against rivals for a CL spot is just unthinkable. 

The only game that comes to mind as somewhat comparable is Cole's hatrick in 30 minutes against Liverpool in 93/94. That felt a huge deal at the time to people of my dad's age, with Liverpool's 70s and 80s dominance still fresh in the memory and us the newly promoted upstarts.

Yesterday eclipsed even that though. Fans all over Europe must be looking at Howe's Newcastle with admiration at the moment, and even more so next season fingers crossed. 

Just now, mondonewc said:

How class was it when Isak lost the ball when 5-0 up and then chased back, won it, and we went again, epitomised this team, so so good!

Aye he wont it back not far from us, absolutely captures the desire and and mood of the team. 

Just now, Ginola said:

Such a good pass and first touch thats barely getting a mention because of how ridiculous Willocks pass was

Absolutely. It won't happen, but realistically you could have three goals from this game in goal of the month. This one, Isak's first (Willock assist) and Murphy's screamer. 

I stood and watched on in disbelief from the front rows of Strawberry corner

First two goals were amazing, but what happened next was just mind boggling

Stone cold sober but was in a daze

Wandered home in silence, stunned

Rewatched the full match on telly, still quite stunned

Wasn’t until I watched the highlights this morning that I got the sense of joy that a win like that normally creates

Don’t think I’ve ever felt like that after a win

Even in the heady days of the 90’s the feeling of excitement after an amazing result was instant

This club is twisting my melon. For all the right reasons

https://theathletic.com/4442240/2023/04/24/newcastle-6-1-tottenham-howe/?source=emp_shared_article

Caulkin perfectly summing that up :lol:

Pick this apart all you want. Slow it down frame by frame, pore over the possession stats, the xG and all the rest but nothing will capture just how much of a ‘F*** me’ moment this truly was.

F*** me, Newcastle United scaled brilliance; f*** me, Tottenham Hotspur were putrid; f*** me, the noise was unfathomable; f*** me, the whole thing was brutal — an assault on the senses, on the scoreline, on the risible notion that with a month of this season to go Spurs are competing to play Champions League football in the next one.

Edited by 54

7 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

A couple of years ago it would have hit his foot and gone out for a throw in.?

I think his first touch was always pretty good tbh. But he wouldn’t normally get a third touch back then…

One of the odd things I find about him is how he never seemed able to outmuscle defenders with his back to goal (obviously not his role in fairness), but now he’s facing the opposite way he’s probably the strongest player I’ve seen here. Absolutely ridiculous.