Newcastle United 6-1 Tottenham Hotspur (23/04/2023)

Disco

51 minutes ago, Ginola said:

Such a good pass and first touch thats barely getting a mention because of how ridiculous Willocks pass was

Schar clearly didn't mean that pass, just like the West Ham one. Eh Jamie Redknapp?

53 minutes ago, Ginola said:

Such a good pass and first touch thats barely getting a mention because of how ridiculous Willocks pass was

That clip is so perfect from start to finish.

Joelinton's Newcastle career is going to end up being a movie man. Ridiculous.

Rough today like. You honestly could go to a match every day for the next 50 years and never get a 20 minutes like that. It was utterly surreal. The noise after 2-0 was something else, after that it was just like what on earth is going on.

Feel like a right greedy bastard but gutted we didn't score at least 7 :lol: 

Can't fucking wait for next Sunday now man, we can and should win all of our home games. Definitely including Arsenal.

20 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Were Spurs fans calling for them to switch to a back four before the game? If so that's hilarious.

Both that or changing to a 3-5-2 and they have been for ages as they get overrun in midfield every game.  

4 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Caulkin's from the NE isn't he? What's his accent all about?

Posh

27 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Were Spurs fans calling for them to switch to a back four before the game? If so that's hilarious.

There was a lot of excitement about it on Twitter. Comments like “might actually watch this now” and “this could be good.” Sure fucking was. 

To his credit, Robbie Mustoe on NBC was adamant before the game that it must be something other than 4 at the back because he couldn’t believe he’d make that change for this game.

I like the Athletic generally but he has got cringeworthy. I do still defend him a little, he is a decent writer but there needs to be something more... he's just a wow this is great every week right now. Especially for having a dedicated correspondent i'd hope for a bit more (there's a new writer hopefully they are good)

The rest of the football writer and pundit world is so poor at covering us, I know every club thinks the media hates them but I swear just as an example if our centre back partnership was at Liverpool or Spurs the media would be going mad over them. Luke Shaw played one good game at centre back and I saw opinion pieces about him being the new beckenbauer or something. Instead all we get is talk about how Howe has somehow got Schar to look like a good player as if noone rated him previously. 

It even goes back, I remember when Sheffield United played two ball playing centre backs who joined midfield in theri 3-4-3 formation while in posession, just as we did with Lejeune and Schar under Rafa for last half of season, they stepped forward to add numbers to the 2 man midfield who were mainly there to win ball back and Schar was often the one carrying ball forward and spraying passes. That got no comment anywhere and yet another team slightly closer to where half the journos live nad they were all over it. 

Have we got any analysis of why we are conceding a goal a game at the moment, is it our defence got worse, is it Burn having a slump, is Schar letting players past too much, is it Howe reacting to us struggling to score and so releasing the handbrake a bit to attack more and that resulting in ore chances other way or is it teams learning how to attack us? Stuff I want to read but doesnt seem like anyone in whole media is interested. 

All the analysis of us seems to be totally surface level. While it does irritate I do understand to the degree of if say Spurs had got bought by Saudi Arabia I'd be fuming and mocking them for their wealth too so maybe that does come into negative view of us, butt I still hear pundits surprised about Howe-ball being more sophisticated than it used to be, cos I assume they think he just sunned himself when he was away from the game. They just see us doing well, probably trott out the fans just want to see hard working players and thats what they're doing so they're happy or something...Maybe it's cos their mate bruce has been shown up to be the chump he is so they dont want to talk about that. 

Realistically i don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, it's just the national press didnt need to devote much energy to us cos we were shit and irrelevant, and now they have to it's taking a while to catch up. It's just frustrating that Caulkin of all people isn't really producing more than WOW THIS IS AMAZING every week

Yes going to a back 4 was clearly a mistake that unsettled their defence, I don't rate dier and i especially dont rate him in a 2 (albeit used to think schar couldn't work in a 2 so what do i know( but quite frankly they ought to be able to defend better than that no matter if they haven't played in a back 4, that was much worse than should have been

17 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I like the Athletic generally but he has got cringeworthy. I do still defend him a little, he is a decent writer but there needs to be something more... he's just a wow this is great every week right now. Especially for having a dedicated correspondent i'd hope for a bit more (there's a new writer hopefully they are good)

The rest of the football writer and pundit world is so poor at covering us, I know every club thinks the media hates them but I swear just as an example if our centre back partnership was at Liverpool or Spurs the media would be going mad over them. Luke Shaw played one good game at centre back and I saw opinion pieces about him being the new beckenbauer or something. Instead all we get is talk about how Howe has somehow got Schar to look like a good player as if noone rated him previously. 

It even goes back, I remember when Sheffield United played two ball playing centre backs who joined midfield in theri 3-4-3 formation while in posession, just as we did with Lejeune and Schar under Rafa for last half of season, they stepped forward to add numbers to the 2 man midfield who were mainly there to win ball back and Schar was often the one carrying ball forward and spraying passes. That got no comment anywhere and yet another team slightly closer to where half the journos live nad they were all over it. 

Have we got any analysis of why we are conceding a goal a game at the moment, is it our defence got worse, is it Burn having a slump, is Schar letting players past too much, is it Howe reacting to us struggling to score and so releasing the handbrake a bit to attack more and that resulting in ore chances other way or is it teams learning how to attack us? Stuff I want to read but doesnt seem like anyone in whole media is interested. 

All the analysis of us seems to be totally surface level. While it does irritate I do understand to the degree of if say Spurs had got bought by Saudi Arabia I'd be fuming and mocking them for their wealth too so maybe that does come into negative view of us, butt I still hear pundits surprised about Howe-ball being more sophisticated than it used to be, cos I assume they think he just sunned himself when he was away from the game. They just see us doing well, probably trott out the fans just want to see hard working players and thats what they're doing so they're happy or something...Maybe it's cos their mate bruce has been shown up to be the chump he is so they dont want to talk about that. 

Realistically i don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, it's just the national press didnt need to devote much energy to us cos we were shit and irrelevant, and now they have to it's taking a while to catch up. It's just frustrating that Caulkin of all people isn't really producing more than WOW THIS IS AMAZING every week

Even more bizarre with Howe is how the press are desperate for an English manager to be at the top