Newcastle United 0-2 Arsenal (07/05/2023)

Disco

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

No personal insult here. You just talk shite these days.

3 replies and none of them remotely addressing why you disagree. I’m sure you’re capable of better.

Fine margins and all that, but Arsenal deserved that. They beat us at our own game - shithousing.

Joelinton should've played on Ødegaard's side.

Murphy should've been off at HT. Would sell him and/or Almiron in the summer tbh. Would much rather give Gordon and a new RW a chance.

Isak should've been moved inside.

Subs were way too late. Disappointed with that.

On another day we would've got something from this, but hey ho. Hope we beat Leeds.

Not the greatest result, performance was frustrating.

We weren't bad, the midfield looked imbalanced without Longstaff. It left Bruno exposed and it deprived us of the Big Joe-Little-Joe dovetail. We still created chances though smashing the post a couple of times and Schar missing a sitter. The concern is that we looked susceptible to the counter she were left with a numerical disadvantage at the back a couple of times.

Fair play to Arsenal though, they played us at our own game. They looked rattled early on, but the goal settled then and Xhaka and Odegaard took control. They then managed the game out by breaking up play, buying cheap fouls, etc.

The ref was shite mind, never let the game flow, inconsistent with his decision making and bottled his decision for the penalty shout.

The good news is we had bought ourselves a slip-up or two in the run in and there's no reason for panic stations after a defeat to comfortably the second best team in the league, a defeat to Leeds would be far more alarming.

Just now, Pata said:
7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That was the same (embarrassing, @Pata :pow:) point I was making at half-time. If you're overturning decisions surely you have to be absolutely certain that the wrong decision has been made to begin with, beyond any doubt? That was as much a borderline call as Joelinton's non-goal against Southampton. 

Expand  

I was 100% certain it hit his leg and think that's embarrassing nitpicking from Shearer. You seem to have this opinion that I love anything and everything about VAR but I'm the biggest critic and moaner when they get something wrong. Today they used it correctly and it would have been a farce if we got a penalty when that ball hits Kiwior's thigh.

Taking eons to make the decision is hardly using it correctly when it's supposed to be about 'clear an obvious' errors, though. 

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Relatively sure it hit some part of his arm like. Unless you actually are the VAR and have angles they didn’t show.  

Looked obvious to me that it hit his lower thigh/upper knee with the Arsenal defenders arm going behind his leg right before the ball hit him. Think you'd see more impact on the arm if the ball hits it.

But I'm not VAR, so can't say I'm 100% sure.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Taking eons to make the decision is hardly using it correctly when it's supposed to be about 'clear an obvious' errors, though. 

I'm happy they take their time to be sure they make the right decision. The clear and obvious rule should be scrapped for next season, just adds extra confusion and moaning. If referee isn't sure, let him go to the screen to make his decision without any of that clear and obvious garbage.

Edited by Pata

It would’ve been a penalty I obviously would’ve very much liked but it would’ve been realllllly harsh. 

That being said though, in this case it should’ve been used more like NFL replays in the sense that the ref called it a pen on the field and then the VAR did not offer enough to overturn that call imho. 

9 minutes ago, Beren said:

Very annoying thinking about how soft that first goal was. Not even a great strike.

Aye, Botman should probably have managed to block it if we're being perfectly honest.

Just not our day, really.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I also thought the bar was now set super high to overrule the ref, I don’t believe that is at all 

Just now, nufcnick said:

One thing today has proved that if he has to play Wilson and Isak together, he has Isak behind him on not on the left

He needs to move in more sentral atleast. Played way to wide today with 2 Arsenal players always on him.

Just now, Shak said:

Aye, Botman should probably have managed to block it if we're being perfectly honest.

Just not our day, really.

It's just incredibly unlucky that it got through both Joelinton and Botman and into the back of the net.

2 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

One thing today has proved that if he has to play Wilson and Isak together, he has Isak behind him on not on the left

Isak was wasted on the left today

3 minutes ago, duo said:

Feel like I have been mugged by the Ref.  One of the worst referring performances I have witnessed. 

Not sure I agree.

Reffed it how I'd like to see all games reffed, were plenty of times (for both teams) I expected the whistle for a free kick after a stern challenge and he just waved it on. Thought it contributed massively to the flow of what was a very exciting game.

2 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Pope reminded me of Steve "Timber" Harper. Slow as owt to get down[emoji38]

I reckon he was surprised he had to dive at it given a) it wasn't particularly fiercely struck and b) went straight at Botman.

1 minute ago, pedro111 said:

Beaten by the better team. No complaints from me. Hopefully see Joelinton out out wide again as he's not doing it in the middle. Need to play either or with Isak and Wilson.

Yeah absolutely, on another day we score at least 3, but today we couldn’t finish a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Beaten by the better team. No complaints from me. Hopefully see Joelinton out out wide again as he's not doing it in the middle. Need to play either or with Isak and Wilson.

If Longstaff is out for the season we've got no midfielders to allow him to play wide left.

1 minute ago, Shak said:

Not sure I agree.

Reffed it how I'd like to see all games reffed, were plenty of times (for both teams) I expected the whistle for a free kick after a stern challenge and he just waved it on. Thought it contributed massively to the flow of what was a very exciting game.

:serious: let Arsenal waste time from the get go.  They just did what they wanted.  And don't get me started on the Pen.

11 minutes ago, Pata said:
13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm happy they take their time to be sure they make the right decision.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse here, but handballs are supposed to meet the clear an obvious test. How can the requirement of twenty replays and several minutes of deliberation constitute a clear and obvious error having happened?

It might've been the right call today and obviously I'm annoyed cos I'm a Newcastle fan and we've been on the unprofitable end of something; but my gripe is primarily with what I believe to be an utter clusterfuck of a system being an unwarranted imposition on the game; not so much this one incident. (See me whinging about a decision that went our way in a previous game for proof of this claim :lol:).