Newcastle United 0-2 Arsenal (07/05/2023)

Disco

Arsenal were the better side.

It's not some sort of crime to say it. Give them credit. Not only can they play football but they can also do the dirty stuff (which we do).

They deserved to win the game. They were better in the small moments.

We should look at it as a massive compliment. We were equal to them in about 90% of what we did.

15 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Never stop Wumaldo. Never stop [emoji38]

Cracking post. Every time someone posts some objective criticism on here you shout ‘wrong’ and then start with the insults. It’s a message forum - I’m here to see opinions that differ from my own.

Just chill. We’re all acutely aware we’ve had a great season and the improvement in a short space of time has been staggering. Doesn’t mean we all just have to say ‘well played lads’ and rinse / repeat next Sat. 

3 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

I've also called for this in the past (before the recent good spell with them), and don't think Howe could win on this one today.

Had he started with either, and the other on the bench and it had gone the same way, then he'd have been called out for not starting them together, especially after their recent scoring appearances with one or the pother coming off the bench to play together.

It was just one of those days, I think.

Also very bold to go with Gordon and Murphy as your starting forwards against the second best team in the country. 

37 minutes ago, Holloway said:

The strides we have made are massive. But in the crunchers, mentally,we have come up short. The final, the Liverpool defeats, today Arsenal controlled it. Now it's that pressure siruation,the whole country is strapping in for an inplosion

Not true imo, we did what we needed to in crunch games against Man Utd and Spurs.

15 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Can't remember that a penalty has been awarded this season due to handball where there was no contact with hand or arm at all either.

Relatively sure it hit some part of his arm like. Unless you actually are the VAR and have angles they didn’t show.  

4 minutes ago, Klaus said:

That was the same (embarrassing, @Pata :pow:) point I was making at half-time. If you're overturning decisions surely you have to be absolutely certain that the wrong decision has been made to begin with, beyond any doubt? That was as much a borderline call as Joelinton's non-goal against Southampton. 

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Not true imo, we did what we needed to in crunch games against Man Utd and Spurs.Aye 

Aye,choose your crunch games. But it was mental fortitude I wss getting at

Frustrating game, shame we didn't take our chances and end of the day we lost to a team pushing Man City pretty close for the title. 

No shame in that, dust wor selves down and onto the next game :) 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That was the same (embarrassing, @Pata :pow:) point I was making at half-time. If you're overturning decisions surely you have to be absolutely certain that the wrong decision has been made to begin with, beyond any doubt? That was as much a borderline call as Joelinton's non-goal against Southampton. 

Occasionally I remember some people being against VAR being brought in because it would remove the controversy from the game and make it less interesting as a result :lol:

Massive effort from the lads, Bruno being slightly off the boil probably the difference. That and one of those days when things just didn’t fall for us.

More confident of top 4 now than before kick off, play with that intensity in our remaining games and we’ll get the points we need. 

2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Aye,choose your crunch games. But it was mental fortitude I wss getting at

Yeah definitely lost the mental battle today, just don’t think it means we’re mentally weak as a rule as we’ve shown we can keep our heads. Different situation now at the business end mind 

It hit the defenders thigh right? I've watched it 10 times and every time it hit his thigh. There's not some angle that proves otherwise is there?

I don't know why it took them so long to overturn it.

Arsenal deserved to win. They were just more cutting. Thought they gave us a lesson in midfield, Jorginho and Odegaard were brilliant. They cut through us several times and they're a quality team. The time wasting and gamesmanship are by the by, we're masters of it and while its enraging when its against us, it shows how far we've came.

Having said that, i'm not too disheartened. Today could easily have been very different. If you're going to win against Arsenal, you need to take your changes, its as simple as that. Willock and Schar's chances were howlers. They should have done so much better. Both Isak and Murphy were unlucky to hit the post, if either of those go in it could be a wildly different game, but they didnt and thats how it goes.  

We seem to have a habit of absolutely flying out of the traps in both halves, then if we dont score, we seem to drop off a bit, lose some intensity and allow teams to grow into the game. I'd like to see us control the game for longer periods of time.

I still think we'll get the points needed to finish in the top four and im normally a negative cunt. I didnt see anything today that suggests otherwise, we we're just beaten by a better a better side in a game of fairly fine margins. 

8 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Cracking post. Every time someone posts some objective criticism on here you shout ‘wrong’ and then start with the insults. It’s a message forum - I’m here to see opinions that differ from my own.

Just chill. We’re all acutely aware we’ve had a great season and the improvement in a short space of time has been staggering. Doesn’t mean we all just have to say ‘well played lads’ and rinse / repeat next Sat. 

No personal insult here. You just talk shite these days.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

It hit the defenders thigh right? I've watched it 10 times and every time it hit his thigh. There's not some angle that proves otherwise is there?

I don't know why it took them so long to overturn it.

I think thats the annoyance. If its so 'clear and Obvious' an error, then why the huge delay in disallowing it. Even the ref watching it again took ages.

Edited by TK-421

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I was 100% certain it hit his leg and think that's embarrassing nitpicking from Shearer. You seem to have this opinion that I love anything and everything about VAR but I'm the biggest critic and moaner when they get something wrong. Today they used it correctly and it would have been a farce if we got a penalty when that ball hits Kiwior's thigh.

Just now, TK-421 said:

I think thats the annoyance. If its so 'celar and Obvious; and error, then why the huge dealy in disallowing it. Even the ref watching it again took ages.

Yeah that pisses me off. You cant call it "clear and obvious error" when you use 4 minutes to decide.

Arsenal haven't been top for most of this season for nothing, And we are still a work in progress.

No one can complain. we gave it a go and came up short.

We have to put this behind us now and be ready for the next game.

A great deal to play for yet.:clap2: