Leeds United 2-2 Newcastle United (13/05/2023)

Disco

Just now, LV said:

He started slowly but his passing is key. He’s putting some nice slotted through balls in and it was his ball to Isak that led to the pen

Sort of game you need him to dominate, their mid is one of the worst in the prem. 

Really poor half, pressure getting to them imo which is understandable. Can’t really call it but wouldn’t be shocked to see Leeds get another we look hopeless at the back.

Miggy off for ASM please 

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

Pray when we take the lead we start using the towel for short throw ins. Dry as a bone out, absolutely no need for it.

In fairness that towel is Leeds' best player so far.

Pretty Awfully start. 

Thankfully Pope dug us right out of the shit, and it has literally saved us.

I think we need a different approach or a switch, Joe Willock is getting battered out there, and not a great deal of support for him anywhere other than Isak helping him out here and there, Burn offers absolutely nothing to support players ahead of him.

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Joelinton as the deepest mid was a wild decision. Looks like it's been sorted

Almiron has been pretty useless

Think it was likely done to add some height and strength back there to deal with hoofs forward.

It was limiting our build up play though so he was right to change it.

4 minutes ago, La Parka said:

The starting formation was a pile of shit

But at least we have a manager that can see that and adjust to it rather than flog it to death and try something different when the game is gone.

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Joelinton as the deepest mid was a wild decision. Looks like it's been sorted

Almiron has been pretty useless

I can see the thinking, put Bruno in on the right to unlock Miggy and Tripps who always look worse without Longstaff. 

Didn't work, and I'm glad it didn't take us long to change the plan. 

Just now, Willow said:

I'm at work but see we've scored 1 pen, has there been other pens or saves?

Not massively. Couple of half chances but nowt you’d expect anything from. 

Isak LW and Willock-Bruno-Joelinton midfield just doesn’t look right for me.  Especially the midfield - same one vs Villa and Arsenal.

I know Burn is getting his usual hammering but honestly Bruno’s over hitting and under hitting of straightforward passes is now becoming annoying. 

I missed most of the 1st half due to technical difficulties.

I opted to go to my mams to watch it on BT Sport, the penalty save changed the game and I think has changed the belief in the Leeds players. We still need to find the final pass in the final 3rd, but I expect nothing less then the pressure we put on Southampton in the 2nd half. If we do, we’ll win, although our back line looks a bit slow.

1 minute ago, nufcjb said:

Our defence looks so shaky. Really miss the clean sheet streak back 4. Same players, just a bit of different self-belief.

I honestly think teams have just realised to try and take it to them a bit more on the counter. They're not the paciest bunch in the first place, let alone with almost a full season under their belt. 

I thought Almiron has been decent with the link up and overlap play, Leeds are packing he players down that side to try and deny is space but we are still getting the better of them down there.

1 minute ago, Sempiternal said:

Sort of game you need him to dominate, their mid is one of the worst in the prem. 

Yeah for sure. I think he’s growing into it.