Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

We will definitely be the team in Pot 4 those in the other pots will be wanting to avoid.

I'm definitely not saying we would beat the likes of Bayern, Real Madrid etc at home, but we have a fighting chance of making it very competitive in a one off game with a bouncing St James'.

I know the stats show it was more down to sheer luck, but I remember Celtic beating Barcelona back in 2012 at home. I'm sure they had like 16% possession but they went 2-0 up (I think) :lol: 

Maybe with the exception of Real Sociedad, we'll be the team nobody in pots 1-3 will want in their group. 

Undecided for me yet if I want us to form part of a group of death, or get an easier draw with a better chance of reaching the knock out stages.

Regarding the earlier discussion with us in pot 4, want a group that gives us a very good chance of getting to the RO16 but want at least 1 huge club.

ie Feyenoord, Real Madrid, Red Star Belgrade, Newcastle.

Many other combinations I'd love though.

On 24/05/2023 at 13:05, Chicken Dancer said:

We will definitely be the team in Pot 4 those in the other pots will be wanting to avoid.

I'm definitely not saying we would beat the likes of Bayern, Real Madrid etc at home, but we have a fighting chance of making it very competitive in a one off game with a bouncing St James'.

I know the stats show it was more down to sheer luck, but I remember Celtic beating Barcelona back in 2012 at home. I'm sure they had like 16% possession but they went 2-0 up (I think) :lol: 

11%[emoji38] They won 2-1.

What's most pleasing about this for me is that during the horrible Ashley years I had an unshakable feeling that the damage he was doing was setting us so far back we would be beyond repair, or that it would take a decade or more.

But look where we are off the back of some sensible investment over 18 months. An incredible achievement and one that should make our growth all the quicker. Can't wait for those CL nights next season, I'll be so excited and proud. 

25 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

What's most pleasing about this for me is that during the horrible Ashley years I had an unshakable feeling that the damage he was doing was setting us so far back we would be beyond repair, or that it would take a decade or more.

But look where we are off the back of some sensible investment over 18 months. An incredible achievement and one that should make our growth all the quicker. Can't wait for those CL nights next season, I'll be so excited and proud. 

:indi: Back where we belong! 

20 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Last time we were in CL, Lens were in it too I believe.

You're right. 02/03 with us, also 98/99 the year after us. They played Arsenal when they had use of Wembley for Champions League games. 

27 minutes ago, Stifler said:

This is Lens’ first entry into the Champions League.

:embarrassed:

12 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

You're right. 02/03 with us, also 98/99 the year after us. They played Arsenal when they had use of Wembley for Champions League games. 

:smugdog: