Yankuba Minteh: joins Brighton & Hove Albion on a permanent deal (Official)

its sorted us out for this summer. 

it wont really bother me if they flip him for another £20m next summer.

move on.

get rid of the deadwood over the next few weeks without the pressure of trying to get bigger fees.

vamos!

Never got an chance to really get worked up over this, although he clearly has a bit about him and it would've been interesting to see what he could do for us.

If this means protecting the players who are actually delivering for us right now, then it's an unfortunate compromise we have to make.

Seems like we've got ourselves out of jail at the last moment, really makes you wonder what would have happened if Minteh wasn't on the books though or if he didn't do well last season, as we clearly can't shift anyone other than the obvious ones you wouldn't want to see go. 

Important that the club learn from this and don't end up in this position again. We have to assume the rules are here to stay and are only going to get more and more strict   

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Seen some fans of other clubs saying we colluded with Brighton, as the fee is too high ;D

All the Chelsea and Liverpool fans that thought they were in with a shot of getting Isak or Gordon I presume ;D

Big brain theories since Brighton have no obligation or need to overpay for him.

1 minute ago, Elliottman said:

So does this mean we simply don’t get a point deduction or does it free up some cash so we can actually buy some fucker?! 

We needed to sell him to balance this year's accounting period. A new accounting period starts on July 1st and we are free to spend again. Hopefully getting shot of a couple of deadwoods along the way will add to the pot and we can spend quite a chunk.

6 minutes ago, duo said:

obviously pleased it's not Gordon or Isak leaving but this sucks - was excited to see him playing next season. Also means another season of Almiron on the right.:mou:

Eh? brian regan what GIF

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Seems like we've got ourselves out of jail at the last moment, really makes you wonder what would have happened if Minteh wasn't on the books though or if he didn't do well last season, as we clearly can't shift anyone other than the obvious ones you wouldn't want to see go. 

Important that the club learn from this and don't end up in this position again. We have to assume the rules are here to stay and are only going to get more and more strict   

Just sign 10 PSR flips from the far reaches of the globe for small fees and bank on one of them being mint(eh) every year.

Just now, Scoot said:

We needed to sell him to balance this year's accounting period. A new accounting period starts on July 1st and we are free to spend again. Hopefully getting shot of a couple of deadwoods along the way will add to the pot and we can spend quite a chunk.

Is the period which is reviewed annual or over 3? I’ve not paid any attention to this shit. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

1) We did need a RW and still do. I have absolutely no idea what that has to do with PSR compliance.

2) Was Barnes signed to sit on the bench? Or did Gordon make the position his own during his somewhat unfortunate injury layoff? I don't think we'll ever get an answer to that.

3) We needed to elevate the quality of the first team to compete in the Champions League and players like Isak and Tonali cost top dollar. Fans are absolutely gasping for us to chuck huge fees at players like Marmadashvili, Maddison, Szaboszlai and Paqueta, while alternatives are frequently sneered at. The club are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

4) A potent mix of hindsight and conjecture does a lot of heavy lifting here. If we breach PSR, it's a failing from those running the club, but blaming individual transfers and factors outside of our control when we've had August 2023 along with January 2024 and June 2024 to line up sales seems a bit daft.

The painful thing with the Minteh transfer is that he’s a RW and we need a RW. Had we used the Barnes money to fund a RW and then we sold Minteh - most wouldn’t be bringing up the transfer. 

That’s precisely the point. We have 2 first team LWs. And 0 RWs of the level we need. The one RW we have on the books that could be on that level - we will sell. 

I don’t think we signed Tonali with the intention of selling off our brightest youngster in the position of most need to afford the previous summer spending spree (or the last 3 years). Along the line a calculated risk has backfired. Mistakes were made. In August we knew that we needed a certain revenue number for the season. In January we knew we were likely to fall short. Which is why we had interest in a few of our players. For some reason we didn’t resolve the risk then. I think perhaps we anticipated more demand for squad players but again - that’s a big risk to take. We are actually pretty fortunate Minteh had such a great season. If we couldn’t flog him what would we do to become PSR compliant? We’ve let the issue go down to the supposed deadline. Mistakes have definitely been made. And you can question a lot of our transfer and contract situations over the last 18 months in particular. 

Edited by The College Dropout

Probably in the future when this becomes the norm, filling up our academy with players who are there solely to make us a profit with no actual view of them playing for us, then it won’t be so gut wrenching.

This isn’t the norm for us, we’re not used to it. We get good players and hold onto them like precious diamonds. You sign for us, you’re one of us. This just feels cold and alien.

£33m is a very good price. We’ve made back more than 5x what we paid for him. I can stomach watching him tear it up at Brighton if bring in the 2-3 we need to push on. Anyway I hate this, I hate football and I hate June. July comes around and we’re going for it. 

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

The daft thing is the rules are probably going to be changing 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13092774/premier-leagues-profit-and-sustainability-rules-to-be-replaced-as-early-as-this-summer