Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

Selling him and still getting points deducted would be a disaster, i am disappointed that we are in a position where we have to give a good young talent like him to a rival, but the hope was it would solve all our problems.

Yeah. I wonder had someone offered us 33mill for him and we weren't struggling with PSR would we have  accepted ? I think we might have.

Didn’t Sky report the other day that the shortfall was 25m? Now 33 doesn’t cover it. 

Forest made a very strong case that they would have lost money on Brennan had they sold before the deadline. Ended up getting 20m more or so. Seems ridiculous having the PSR deadline in the middle of the window. 

7 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Yeah, City have just rafts of talent, a conveyor belt of £20m+ youngsters who’ll see them (cough) clear of FFP issues forever. That’s where we want to be. Look at Palmer, very very good but they let him go. If that was us we’d be beside ourselves but they’re used to it and we probably will also have to get used to it. 

You have to remember though, that Palmer asked to leave, because he didn't believe he was getting enough of an opportunity.

Man City also spent a lot of money bringing in players, by circumventing the rules with dodgy sponsorship deals, and haven't been as interested in bringing their prospects through.

I'm not at all convinced this will be our approach. They overlooked a quality player in Palmer that ended up being good enough to play for them.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

How fucked are we supposed to be? :lol:

The press don't actually know. We don't know. Other clubs don't know.

Staveley, Ruben's and Al Rummyan probably do, and they are probably the only ones that actually do...if that's even the case at all and we aren't just selling an asset of unknown true value to fund a whole load of summer fun

Spectacular skill to find a kid we've been able to flip for so much money so quickly just when we needed it.

Spectacular luck too - it's not normal for them to come off like this. The club should be seriously reflecting on that.

1 minute ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Didn’t Sky report the other day that the shortfall was 25m? Now 33 doesn’t cover it. 

Forest made a very strong case that they would have lost money on Brennan had they sold before the deadline. Ended up getting 20m more or so. Seems ridiculous having the PSR deadline in the middle of the window. 

I’m sure it is down to us as to why it is now. We moved our accounting period in 2020. No idea on the details but aye. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think this is right. We are bringing in the amortised cost of transfers and higher wages of all those seasons. We’re still to account for Isak, Bruno, Gordon etc. and the bigger wage bill. 

I expect we’ll need to sell to generate FFP headroom until we get some major revenue injections.  

PSR is a trap. Because big player sales are only accounted for 3 seasons. But big purchases and contracts are carried for 4-5 years.  The increase in Bruno’s wages likely offsets the Lower amortisation cost he has. 

Yes some of the higher revenues will be offset by higher running costs. But the issue they are trying to fix this week is the 105m limit. IIRC Swiss ramble believes the club lost 70m in 21/22 and 70m again in 22/23, meaning 23/24 had to turn a 35m profit to balance the books. The CL money and Minteh has essentially gone on PSR.

However this means to balance at end 24/25 the club can run up another 70m loss, and lose 70m the year after again and still be within the rules. Meanwhile revenues can be grown, like the adidas deal, so more can be spent in total.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Hayden and Fraser have already been written off.

Yeah, that’s the point, we’ve already taken the hit on their wages until the end of the contracts, if we shifted them and didn’t have to pay them then you reverse that and get a benefit.

you don’t see anything on the transfer fee amortisation unless you get a fee just wages 

And I’d also mention if they’d got further in the CL or finished higher in the PL and got more prizes money the loss to cover would be less and probably could have been fixed by selling someone worth less.

ie winning a few extra CL games and reaching the knockouts or having an EL run, plus finishing 5th in the league might have meant you could get away with selling Fraser. But crashing out of all European games in the CL group stage and finishing 7th meant a big sale was required.

10 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Can only judge our business once the window closes, really. Even if we kept Minteh we'd need to buy a first choice RW option imo. Trying to finish top 4 with a 19 year old as first choice with no experience in the league would be a huge gamble. 

There seems to be relatively little genuine interest in Minteh considering we were desperate to sell and how highly rated some of our fans seem to think he is. 

Little interest? Everton, Lyon, Brighton all willing to bring in our highest ever sale no? 

7 minutes ago, 54 said:

I personally think shifting Minteh was always the plan, it's the exact same sort of model City follow. 

This is like City selling Phil Foden at 19. Minteh is meant to be good enough for where we want to be in a couple years. It’s not like selling James Trafford who would be on the bench for as long as Ederson is around. 

I also think the club expected someone to activate the Bruno clause. In retrospect we seem to have advertised it.  It’s the only thing that makes sense. 

12 minutes ago, Funtime Frankie said:

I would like to see him tried on the right, he seems from highlight videos to be able to use both feet which many of our wingers aren't able to.

so would i, might be a bit much for him mind, being right footed and all