Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

Just now, Paully said:

Stupid, twatting PSR bollocks - he's going to tear it up but needs must due to the stupid rules.

Hopefully we have a buy-back clause or big sell on clause?

For the fee we got, I doubt either was included.

Definitely wish him all the best and hope he tears it up.

It's not his fault players are having to be traded around like objects, a system I dislike.

Yes, yes, it needs to happen, that's why we need an improved academy as well etc etc. So, I should just grow up.

Well, no I won't. At least the point of an academy was originally to bring players through and see who makes it, with the rest (including those who just don't fit what your team needs) finding their way elsewhere with your best wishes. Likewise, bringing in promising players to go on loan and see if they'd make it, is fine too.

Just maybe, in this case, we already decided he wouldn't make it here, in which case fair enough. Doesn't quite feel like that, but I may be wrong.

But in general, turning youth players into commodities doesn't sit right.

2 hours ago, TBG said:

Same amount of goals as Jacob Murphy so far in pre season

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with similar numbers at the end of the season either. A handful of goals and assists amounting to a decent contribution sounds about right for both.

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye he’s got confidence and composure front of goal. 

I really like this kid man.  

Yep, I liked him too, mainly because I saw finishes like that in his other videos.

I think it would be a good idea just to lock this thread and throw away the key for everyone's sanity.

I fear it could turn out to be a massive mistake to sell him, but howay it's one goal in a friendly against Kashima Antlers. :lol: At least wait until he's scored a few in the league before we start jumping the gun about him being the next Salah.

2 hours ago, Fezzle said:

This thread will be bumped by the same dullards every time he does anything isnt it? Owt to have some ammo against the club, let it go man

Hoping it has the same trajectory as the ASM one did.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The mistake was not selling others earlier.  The mistake was not doing financial workarounds earlier. 

Really hope and think Mitchell helps out with this.

Howe seems to like to have his experienced pros around, which is important, but we can't really overdo it, and I think he might lean that way.

There was even talk Dummet and Ritchie would have stayed had we made Europe!

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

In the position we were in it wasn’t a mistake. We sold him knowing he has the ability to go up levels.  

The mistake was not selling others earlier.  The mistake was not doing financial workarounds earlier. 

Tbf we tried to sell Almiron in January, but he wanted to stay. One of the trade offs of keeping players reluctant to move on the books turned out to be having to sell Anderson and Minteh instead.

On 24/07/2024 at 15:54, The College Dropout said:

In the position we were in it wasn’t a mistake. We sold him knowing he has the ability to go up levels.  

Isn’t this essentially why Staveley has moved on?

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If you go back to the start of the thread, most folks on here seemed to be aware that Minteh was likely being signed to sell on for FFP profit.  He served his purpose even quicker than might have been anticipated.

Let it go lads. 

Going off the first page skimming I did this seems fabricated. People realised he wasn't going to be ready for first team football at PL level, hence one for the future, but it certainly wasn't a case of people assuming he was bought with the specific intention to be flipped for a profit.

As with any young player you can never really be certain how they will develop, so chances are they will never see the first team and be sold or let go. I'm with TCD on that it can never have been a pre-set plan to flip such a young, unproven player for 4 times their initial fee inside a year. That's just not how football works or everybody would be doing it if it was that simple.

The reality of the situation, whether we like it or not, is we spotted an exceptional young player who developed really well on loan and who attracted interest from rival PL clubs as well as renowned clubs from abroad with an eye for talent, like Dortmund and Lyon. He could have been blooded into our team this pre-season and if continued to develop well, become a mainstay in our team in a position where we've not had an undisputed starter for over a decade. Sadly however, we had to let him go because we had got ourselves into a PSR mess. An understandable decision all things considered, but certainly not a pre-meditated one.