Yankuba Minteh

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That's true. Someone will get it right. Man Utd under SAF didn't always have the most talented youngsters but they put them in to fight and run hard and many of them did a good job for some time. Your Welbeck's, Evans, O'Shea.. not world beaters but good players, hard working. That seems to have disappeared. Obviously, Wenger loved a youth product. He sold Sylvinho to create a pathway for Cole. That rarely happens these days.

Thinking about it. Fergie and Wenger didn't miss a beat with youth products. If anything they would give youth products too many chances. Fergie even gave Tom Cleverley decent minutes man. Different era I guess, different culture.

FFP encourages clubs to sell youth products as well which isn't good.

Really good point on Fergie. Always respected how much of a chance he gave a lot of those guys.

10 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

My main issue is we don't give them any minutes at all. Naff loans ad infinitum until they reach ~24 and can't be considered young players anymore. It looks like we're not going to thankfully, but the idea of loaning out Anderson and/or L. Miley irks me because of that.

Liverpool have always played young players in League Cup games; 3-6 of them alongside seasoned pros like Oxlade-Chamberlain, Firmino and Gomez and it's a positive environment for them especially at Anfield. A full house backing them and a taste of first team football. Some of them may not end up being good enough, but at least they're given a chance. Some of their last few lineups;

Derby (H); Kelleher, Ramsay, Phillips, Gomez, Tsimikas, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Bajcetic, Clark, Frauendorf, Stewart, Carvalho

Norwich (A); Kelleher, Bradley, Konate, Gomez, Tsimikas, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones, Keita, Gordon, Origi, Minamino

Leicester (H); Kelleher, Bradley, Gomez, Koumetio, Tsimikas, Henderson, Morton, Oxlade-Chamberlain, N. Williams, Firmino, Minamino

Lincoln (A); Adrian, N. Williams, R. Williams, van Dijk, Tsimikas, Jones, Grujic, Shaqiri, Elliott, Minamino, Origi

I've never heard of some of those names and probably won't see them again as some may have been sold already. But at least they were given that chance in their club's colours.

Loans are better than crappy games in the league cup that nobody cares about.

How many youngsters have a realistic chance of breaking into the first team? This is not a good example at all:

• The Irish GK will leave.
  • Gomez has fallen to the bottom of the CB list.
  • Bajcetic & Jones only got PL experience due to a lack of investment in midfield
  • N. Williams played 13 PL games for Liverpool before being sold
  • Carvalho transfer has been a nightmare, and there are rumours he'll be sold. The lad would've been better off this season for his development by staying at Fulham and getting regular PL game time.

You need to give young players proper squad places. The way Martinelli and Saka impressed in the Europa, they became secondary options in key positions. Not options 3 and 4. Players improve by playing meaningful matches at high levels. Where performances are scrutinised and demand is high. That is the PL. Europe. Champo. Not league cup r3 and r4 at a big 4 club before losing to City all-stars back-up.

He looks decent, plays at a 100mph similar to Miggy and lots of physicality on the ball. Traces of decent vision and technique with some of his passing,  definitely plenty to work with though very one sided. The comparison that jumped out at me was Pepe.... from his Lille days thankfully.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

People mentioned it jokingly earlier but Hearts have interviewed a manager whose been managing in Sweden for their job (Marti Cifuentes at Hammarby), so maybe they could be a good choice to send him for a season. :lol:

I don't think Minteh has any ties to Sweden though.

16 hours ago, greydos said:

With a rough Diamond, Hearts will always be the wrong Club. Needs to be somewhere that’ll put in the Spade work. A team in Texas that can hold em til they’re 21 is what we want.

(the things we come up with whilst passing time on the loo)

IMG_6459.thumb.jpeg.1d9ddf3f36129d83b9d80228b736799c.jpegKenny likes this ?

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Scandinavians are all the same man. 

Minteh is from Gambia though!?

But another fact in all this is that the Odense sporting director(Björn Wesström) and their manager(Andreas Alm) were both at the swedish club AIK at the same time. It was them who gave Isak his first team debut.

Remember they saying at the time that Isak was the biggest talent they've ever seen.

4 hours ago, hakka said:

I like how he's happy to spear head the attacks and pepper the box with crosses/passes. Seems quite a cool and refreshing player to watch.

Are we still on toothpaste or chewing gum?