Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

7 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Merson works on a show sponsored by SkyBet, there's quite a bit of hypocrisy there.

Doesn't Merson have a history of gambling addiction? Or am I mistaken?

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Doesn't Merson have a history of gambling addiction? Or am I mistaken?

He does, that's why I find it a bit hypocritical of him preaching the addiction of it while working on a show sponsored by SkyBet.

Although the whole football industry is as hypocritical imo.

Edited by El Prontonise

Just now, Beth said:

Absolutely no chance Milan didn't know about this. We've been well and truely done here, whether we have any come back is another matter.

An injury gets identified (hopefully) at the medical. Pending investigations into illegal activities, how is that screened? If they knew and didn’t divulge it there has to be cause to go back at them legally. But let’s see how it all pans out. Explains his head being a bit here there and everywhere. Like Gordon I believe he’ll be a very good player for us. Hopefully that’s still the case. Just when is the question? 

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

It was generally regarded as one of the most surprising deals of the summer. Boyhood fan, never wanted to leave Milan, etc.

There was a very plausible explanation with a big fee for Milan + big wages for him + new challenge, etc. Not ruling that out, but this certainly provides another reason.

At first his wage here was quoted to be 210k a week, but that was later ammended to 120k. He was on about 70/80k at Milan. Not sure why he would leave his boyhood club to come here for that sort of increase, it seems Milan got shot whilst they still had the chance to cash in before all this came out. Apart from his debut vs Villa he's played like someone carrying a weight on his shoulders. 

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

You would think Tonali would tell the club if Milan had been informed, they will definitely be asking.

He’s a boyhood Milan fan, maybe he told Milan in secret to do them a favour and get premium league wages while on vacation.

5 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

He does, that's why I find it a bit hypocritical of him preaching the addiction of it while working on a show sponsored by SkyBet.

It depends what he’s preaching though. Does he say gambling and betting should be banned? Or that he has a gambling problem and doesn’t bet and recommends those that need help get it?

Im genuinely not sure what his stance is. For example I’m a recovering alcoholic. But I don’t want drinking banned. I also wouldn’t have any problem working for companies that profit or promote alcohol. 

If hes saying betting and sports betting should be banned or the advertising then yeah thats hypocritical 

The club won’t be happy about this but he’s our player so unless there’s some obvious legal get out clause, let’s assume we’re going to take him under our wing and give him a second chance. 

His head must have been all over the shop and god knows who he owed money to. There’s literally no rock bottom with gambling, doesn’t matter if you’re on crazy money or on the dole. It’ll take pretty much everything and changes your whole character as a person when you’re an addict.

He’s young enough to come back much stronger.

Hopefully he'll get the support to beat this mentally, and hopefully the financial hole he is in can be fixed as well sooner than later. After that, hopefully he settles in to the region and moves on with his life. He has far too much to lose and all the talent in the world. 

We're quite stacked in midfield, and Hall can also play there if need be - but I can't help but be annoyed more than I should be. This whole situation stinks and I know hindsight is 20/20 but it just annoys me to see how well Maddison is doing at Spurs - cheaper and far less baggage than this situation.

1 minute ago, morpeth mag said:

Thing is even betting on your own team to win is insider trading as he has information (injuries etc) not available to the general public.

While this is true, it's more an argument to protect bookies than anything else :lol:

19 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

It's a funny one tbh as much as I'd like to bash Merson. I'm a recovering alcoholic but if I had to do a campaign at work where the client was an alcoholic drink manufacturer it wouldn't even cross my mind to say "No" because of all the damage I did myself. Just because I can't do it in moderation doesn't mean that applies to millions of others. 

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

Yeah. In all honesty the Toney ban never sat right with me, aside from the bit where he bet against his own club.

In the U.K., gambling only became legal thanks to Football Pools, which is where the Moores family made their money and went on to buy both Everton and Liverpool.

Liverpool obviously getting the greater deal ultimately by becoming they are today because of it.

You currently have the EFL which is in control over 75% of the professional clubs in England with a leading sponsor by a gambling firm.

You have the Premier League saying in 3 years you can’t have a front of shirt betting sponsor, but will still be able to have a sleeve betting sponsor, which is estimated to double the sleeve sponsorship prices.

Every broadcast game is filled with betting adverts. The Premier League’s leading domestic TV partner has a score programme that has leading betting partner flashing up before and after every advert break.

Every club has a betting sponsor, some have betting sponsors for different regions.

If a player happens to bet on a game though, that’s too far.

I remember a few years ago when that amateur team got to the FA Cup 3rd round, a betting company decided to allow stupid bets on their goalkeeper, he ate a pie at half time and was l charged for influencing a bet because a bookie had put that on a list of things he might do. How the fuck the bookie wasn’t done was beyond me. 

Yeah the FA  remove gambling from shirts etc, only to be replaced on the sleeves is just sound bites. They are always going to keep the Gambling firms sweet not going to bite the hand that feeds them. Needs to be an independent commission to look into all forms of gambling advertising and sponsorship.

If the FA cant keep its house in order then it should be taken out of its hands.

6 minutes ago, Menace said:

We're quite stacked in midfield, and Hall can also play there if need be - but I can't help but be annoyed more than I should be. This whole situation stinks and I know hindsight is 20/20 but it just annoys me to see how well Maddison is doing at Spurs - cheaper and far less baggage than this situation.

Maddison wanted Spurs! 

He was quickly losing his place to Willock or Joelinton anyway IMO. From a footballing perspective, it's not the massive blow that it might have been. We also get a January window to add a player if needs be.

Let's hope he gets the best support possible and somehow remains around the club.

Is he still allowed to train (ways around that I'm sure), is he allowed to be in the ground and around the place etc? I'd like to see him at every home game, that would be a good starting point.

24 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

It depends what he’s preaching though. Does he say gambling and betting should be banned? Or that he has a gambling problem and doesn’t bet and recommends those that need help get it?

Im genuinely not sure what his stance is. For example I’m a recovering alcoholic. But I don’t want drinking banned. I also wouldn’t have any problem working for companies that profit or promote alcohol. 

If hes saying betting and sports betting should be banned or the advertising then yeah thats hypocritical 

Being an alcoholic isn't illegal though. Sports betting in your own league is, and that's why he'll get the book thrown at him.