Sandro Tonali: given suspended two-month ban by FA (Official)

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

They are basically saying we can’t afford a replacement for him (if it’s a length ban), and we are already at the limit for FFP.

Old news that and that limit will be reduced dramatically by all the new deals already announced and forthcoming. Scaremongering at it's finest 

13 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yeah but we know this anyway, it has no bearing upon our FFP position, we can’t magic away the transfer and get our money back so it’s the status quo. 

We could extend his contract by 12 months (reducing his wage for this year) to reduce the current year impact of the transfer fee and still get the 5 years of playing time that he signed up to 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think we'll miss him a lot more than people think tbh. He's not started a single game against anyone out of the top 7. Some of our downfall last season was turning draws into wins against the lesser sides. I know we howked Sheff Utd but I think long term, his ability would have shone through more and helped to convert those. We'll see.

Yep. I find the "I'm not that bothered" statements a bit irritating, he's a key member of our squad, and yes, he's played against all the best teams, and this certainly isn't going to help him get acclimatised. It's not like we can go out and get a replacement easily either since we've invested a lot of our funds on him.

17 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

They are basically saying we can’t afford a replacement for him (if it’s a length ban), and we are already at the limit for FFP.

In January they mean, yeah? With all the new revenue streams we’re landing, we’ve surely got a bit more wiggle room in the summer right? I’ve actually no idea.

Yet another example of FFP keeping non-established clubs from competing. Bigger clubs can afford mistake after mistake while the others are punished heavily for taking risks in order to upset the status quo.

Edited by McCormick

Just now, Colos Short and Curlies said:

We could extend his contract by 12 months (reducing his wage for this year) to reduce the current year impact of the transfer fee and still get the 5 years of playing time that he signed up to 

That would be a canny compromise and making the best out of a shit situation. That being said, we’ve shown no inclination to try and soften or workaround FFP in the Chelsea style. 

One year ban is an inconvenience but not insurmountable. You could get injured in training and be out for longer than that.

Three years and I’d be taking everyone involved to court and getting as much money back as possible.

1 minute ago, Reggae Magpie said:

The bairn got Tonali on the back of his shirt this season, that'll have to go in the bin if he gets banned for three years.

Seems harsh.

Could try getting a refund first instead of binning the kid. 

I mean it wouldn't be Newcastle without getting some circus back. Worst case scenario is pretty grim but I will assume that they will stick the biggest army of lawyers on the case. Then I guess its either win or delay it as long as it is possible to delay it. Fucking hell though, god damn gambling shit.

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Might just be me, but when going into a job interview I personally don't go out of my way to present myself as un-hireable.

Oh right it's just there as a get out of jail card for when you're pulling the wool over everyone's eyes.

12 minutes ago, worthy said:

I mean it wouldn't be Newcastle without getting some circus back. Worst case scenario is pretty grim but I will assume that they will stick the biggest army of lawyers on the case. Then I guess its either win or delay it as long as it is possible to delay it. Fucking hell though, god damn gambling shit.

I’m not sure we’ll automatically go the legal route like. Just as likely will accept the ban and just support him until he’s ready to come back.  

45 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

44 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

That would be a canny compromise and making the best out of a shit situation. That being said, we’ve shown no inclination to try and soften or workaround FFP in the Chelsea style. 

Yeah, you'd hope if he has any kind of remorse he'd sign a new contract for longer on partially reduced wages over the term to take into account the ban period. He'll come out of the contract the same financially and we won't be adversely affected either.

Obviously could be renogotiated in the future as usual.

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

How's that, surely we're in exactly the same position as when he signed? Just because he is banned won't have any effect on what we are paying out in FFP terms

They meant in case if we had to sign a decent replacement. 

Might be covered already, but do the Italians have scope to dish out bans that will be upheld worldwide when they appear to be excessive compared to similar bans here? Surely they cannot just dish out 1-3 years for offences that would appear similar or lesser to what Toney got 8 months for and we just have to suck it up? ???

Surely if FIFA agrees to uphold these types of bans worldwide, there should be an agreed upon set of guidelines and each FA cannot just do it's own thing?

11 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Oh right it's just there as a get out of jail card for when you're pulling the wool over everyone's eyes.

Well yeah if he is genuinely a gambling addict that's sort of the point.

It's an annoying situation and Tonali bears responsibility for his actions, which I'm sure he's very aware of atm, but some of these comments just don't align with reality.

Nobody in their right mind is going to open up to a potential employer about all of their darkest secrets, especially an addict.

Treating him with vitriol is pointless at best. He's fucked up, it's cost us, we all move on.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

3 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Might be covered already, but do the Italians have scope to dish out bans that will be upheld worldwide when they appear to be excessive compared to similar bans here? Surely they cannot just dish out 1-3 years for offences that would appear similar or lesser to what Toney got 8 months for and we just have to suck it up? ???

Surely if FIFA agrees to uphold these types of bans worldwide, there should be an agreed upon set of guidelines and each FA cannot just do it's own thing?

Authorities have their own rules and Tonali would have been aware of the possible consequences of his actions at the time he committed his offence and at the time he signed his contract with us.

He has shafted us.

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not sure we’ll automatically go the legal route like. Just as likely will accept the ban and just support him until he’s ready to come back.  

Yeah, thinking about it you are most likely right. Big slap in the face though.

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Well yeah if he is genuinely a gambling addict that's sort of the point.

It's an annoying situation and Tonali bears responsibility for his actions, which I'm sure he's very aware of atm, but some of these comments just don't align with reality.

Nobody in their right mind is going to open up to a potential employer about all of their darkest secrets, especiall an addict.

Treating him with vitriol is pointless at best. He's fucked up, it's cost us, we all move on.

this is why employers have a right to terminate staff if they fail to disclose something at an interview that will materially impact their ability to conduct their job.

He will get 8-12 months, we will back him and hope that when he comes back, he's the player we all hoped.

Yes he's made a mistake but he's young and rather our club was seen as supporting their players, than throwing them to the wolves.

1 minute ago, James said:

this is why employers have a right to terminate staff if they fail to disclose something at an interview that will materially impact their ability to conduct their job.

Worst case scenario and he lands a 3 year ban, we still can't terminate his contract without writing off the £55m transfer fee. The whole situation seems ludicrous. How does a club end up paying all the costs if a player ends up doing something illegal?