Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I thought he was quite poor today and his passing was sloppy, he doesn’t seem to have much of an understanding with his team mates either but I’m sure that will come.

I think Howe might phase him in over a longer period unless we have an injury crisis.

I think you were watching a different game

4 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I think you were watching a different game

Quite a few people were commenting on his performance in the match thread.

We all want him to do well but we should also be able to call out a poor performance when we see it.

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Quite a few people were commenting on his performance in the match thread.

We all want him to do well but we should also be able to call out a poor performance when we see it.

It was categorically not a poor performance at all.

He did well in large spells, some tremendous first time passes. He was a bit sloppy in 2-3 occasions but other than that he had a solid - good game.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

It was categorically not a poor performance at all.

He did well in large spells, some tremendous first time passes. He was a bit sloppy in 2-3 occasions but other than that he had a solid - good game.

I didn’t see it like that and others didn’t either, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Just to reiterate that we all want him to do well before people are accused of having a vendetta against him or something.

I don’t know if people remember but Newcastle United had a player called Joelinton that moved to England from Hoffenheim. He took time to settle and is now pretty good.

Perhaps this Tonali guy needs the same patience.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

I didn’t see it like that and others didn’t either, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Just to reiterate that we all want him to do well before people are accused of having a vendetta against him or something.

I’m not suggesting you have a vendetta… just don’t see any validity in your opinion of his performance that’s all.

4 minutes ago, Viana said:

I don’t know if people remember but Newcastle United had a player called Joelinton that moved to England from Hoffenheim. He took time to settle and is now pretty good.

Nobody is being impatient with him.

That first time ball through to the left wing when we were on the break in the second half was tremendous. No other player in our squad could play that so well, just be patient with him.

10 minutes ago, STM said:

He wasn't poor, he didn't do much wrong but he just didn't influence the game enough.

Was sat right on the half way line so focused a bit on him - considering how new he is and the fact he’s played in a number of midfielder combinations in his time here, I liked what I saw - his strength coming here was how neat and tidy he was on the ball - he played to this type during the game 

Just now, TheHoob said:

Eddie knows best. Probably have a similar start to Bruno with all the galaxy brains from other clubs gloating that he couldn't get in the team ahead of Longstaff, and look at him now. 

Tonali will be fine - we’ve bought a real talent 

53 minutes ago, Viana said:

I don't think our mistaken identification of his profile as a striker and the low-probability occurrence of a successful position change 18 months later generalizes well to all future transfers. (Not comment on Tonali, hope he's great)

He usually plays with a load of intensity. Think it's a play style that doesn't translate well to friendly games where you're consciously trying to take it easy. Bruno and Joelinton suffer the same a bit.

2 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Met this handsome bastard and his lovely girlfriend today. Very canny.

His girlfriend says they’re settling in really well, love the city, but wish it would stop raining (with a smile).

Trust our luck to have them come over in the wettest July in decades. Well, at least it can only get better from here. :lol:

59 minutes ago, Jagten said:

I don't think our mistaken identification of his profile as a striker and the low-probability occurrence of a successful position change 18 months later generalizes well to all future transfers. (Not comment on Tonali, hope he's great)

That wasn’t the point I was making, we aren’t discussing him as a footballer.

he’s a young man abroad for the first time in his adult life. Let him bed into that and we’ll go from there. Talking about whether he played well or not is irrelevant, he’s finding the rhythm of the beat produced by Eddie Howe’s Sexy Samba Mags.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Her English is tremendous by the way, and his was better than I expected.

I heard he was quite proficient in English. I also get somewhat perplexed by people who seem to watch a different game to the one I've been watching. I haven't seen today's game as it happens, but wouldn't surpise me if he was doing a lot of unspectacular, but very important nuts and bolts stuff which often doesn't get recognised or stand out like a 50yd Hollywood pass.

People need to remember these are friendlies, players are easing themselves in, and looking to play to a pattern, it might look totally different when the blood and thunder stuff starts.

Thought overall he had a decent if not spectacular game. In spells, especially the second half he started to drop a little deeper and dictate the game a little more. He's clearer a very smart footballer, getting to grips with a new setup, teammates, and expectations of him tactically. I think he's gonna be a great signing, but I agree Eddie might transition him in to give him the best chance of success. Have a feeling it will be Big Joe, Bruno and Anderson starting against Villa.