Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Italian football has a long and inglorious history of being riddled with corruption - enough of it that the big blowups have names (Totonero, Calciopoli, Plusvalenza etc).  AC Milan are usually involved somewhere.

That doesn’t mean that they did know, but it can hardly be dismissively waved away.   The club has PLENTY of previous on the dodginess front. 

I’m not dismissing it, just deferring to Occam’s razor.

4 hours ago, Orphanage said:

If this was the other way around and we had sold a player to AC Milan and he was then banned re betting then AC wouldve gone off it and the italian fans wouldve put his windows through . We are too nice in this country and too trusting 

What exactly would bricking his windows achieve? [emoji38] 

Should we start carrying machetes looking for opposition fans to stab and racially abusing our own players like the Italians too? 

2 hours ago, BShearer said:

we signed Tonali for a reason and that reason causing us lot of issues now. he was signed so we have better rotation options and much stronger midfield trio than last season. now with all the things happened and constant injuries we actually have a lesser midfield than last season generally.

as it stands signing someone like Tielemans on a free would have been much more useful business. of course in hindsight easier to say, but its like a huge disaster this to happen with the star signing of the summer.

can imagine the shock of Howe when he was first told that as per news in Italy Tonali likely to get  long ban. I bet at first he thought this is a prank.

Tielemans can barely walk.

Agree however RE: Tonali, feel our season seemed to venture downhill once his ban kicked in. He would have been absolutely huge during the Champions League, missing that valuable experience in the competition was a big hindrance. 

Good point, has he even done a pinky promise saying that he’ll never do it again? Not that I’ve seen, might try and get one of those petitions launched where it’s brought up in parliament if there are enough signatures

3 hours ago, triggs said:

I feel like if Milan knew then that would have meant loads of others knew and our recruitment team would have heard some whispers also

He pulled Italy U21 teammates into it.  He was seen as a ringleader in getting those lads into online gambling.  It wasn’t a private issue - he was doing it openly and other players asked him about it.

Now, perhaps he was only gambling when on international duty.  But others definitely knew. 

Do people, with the benefit of hindsight, think he really wanted a new challenge away from Milan in the North East of England?

Or was it a way out for him, leaving another club to pick up the pieces, whilst leaving his relationship with the Milan fans intact?

And if it's the second one, where does that leave us and him next season?

No idea, it hinges on whether he’d been contacted by law enforcement or had heard rumours that he was in trouble by the time we were in contact with him. If he had had no contact and no rumours then he left because Milan saw an opportunity. If he had had contact and there were rumours then it’s a lot more likely he left as he thought it might solve his problems. 

The point I made in my last post is that we’re just endlessly speculating here. Let’s just wait and see what happens in the future. Utterly pointless making up scenarios in our heads 

On 26/12/2023 at 19:07, BShearer said:

its such a rare thing you sign a top player close to club record and he is banned straight for 10 months.

happened with Toney but least with him its his club punished too (Brentford) with him being banned.

but with Tonali Milan must be laughing they got  huge fee, they dont have one of their best midfielder out for 10 months, they pocketed a huge fee reinvest or spend on whatever they want.

while us left with sending him to gambling therapy and just hoping he comes back stronger next season which may happen may not.

i wonder if Tonali and his agent looked into the eyes of Howe and Ashworth at contract signings and thinking " you are in for a big surprise soon".

I don’t think they knew it was coming from that stage. At least there’s no evidence of that. I think he seemed off/non-verbals and performances two or three games in. He probably got wind of it around then. 

We all know how this is going to play out don't we. He'll come back, be mainly shite and end up going back on loan to Milan in Jan 25, where his form will pick up and they will resign him for half what we paid for him.

2 hours ago, Beth said:

We all know how this is going to play out don't we. He'll come back, be mainly shite and end up going back on loan to Milan in Jan 25, where his form will pick up and they will resign him for half what we paid for him.

Bingo. Huge gamble for us that’s looking slightly on the risky side at the moment. We’ll give him the whole 24/25 season I reckon but someone like Juve will pick him up after that to break us about FFP even but massively burned having lost £25m in fees and nearly the same in wages.

2 hours ago, Beth said:

I would hope that even in this scenario we would refuse to let Milan sign him. Anyone else.

Love how quickly this some of you are spiraling on this. It's barely been 3 months, by August next year you'll have convinced yourselves he's a boyhood Mackem who sought a move specially to bring his sworn enemy down and secure NETD status for his beloved seagull botherers.

Howe and the wider club have been crystal clear that he'll be backed and supported, and the match going fans clapped and cheered him off the last time he played. After a year of training and learning our system, having received support from the club, he'll come roaring back desperate to pay that support back. He'll be class, and this will be but a bump in the road of a successful signing in time.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Love how quickly this some of you are spiraling on this. It's barely been 3 months, by August next year you'll have convinced yourselves he's a boyhood Mackem who sought a move specially to bring his sworn enemy down and secure NETD status for his beloved seagull botherers.

Howe and the wider club have been crystal clear that he'll be backed and supported, and the match going fans clapped and cheered him off the last time he played. After a year of training and learning our system, having received support from the club, he'll come roaring back desperate to pay that support back. He'll be class, and this will be but a bump in the road of a successful signing in time.

If he had come out and apologized or at least made some public statement of regret and determination to make things right, thanked the club for its support (personally, not through his agent), maybe put in some time at the food bank, pledged his intent to stay, shown some interest in the region,  put out some videos of him busting a gut in training . . . I'd be more optimistic.

Instead he's clammed up and released a tone-deaf picture of him and GF having fun in Dubai.

1 minute ago, GideonShandy said:

If he had come out and apologized or at least made some public statement of regret and determination to make things right, thanked the club for its support (personally, not through his agent), maybe put in some time at the food bank, pledged his intent to stay, shown some interest in the region,  put out some videos of him busting a gut in training . . . I'd be more optimistic.

Instead he's clammed up and released a tone-deaf picture of him and GF having fun in Dubai.

He was at the visit to the kids hospital like a week ago. Probably told them to fuck off, in Italian too, the English-hating cunt 

Thank god it was just a bit of betting, could've been far worse.

Think it's a player us as fans should just forget about for now, he can't play and that's that, not worth wasting energy on. When he comes back support him like any other, unless something more comes out between now and then. Unlikely we will ever know the definitive truth of it all, so let's just go down the positive route and do everything we can to keep a player that was signed as one our 'elite' signings.

nintchdbpict000231565769.jpg

Edited by BonesJones