Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

On 09/09/2024 at 22:59, Magpie said:

I've not criticised Howe at all, for anything. But if he starts Longstaff over Tonali on Sunday, man I'll be pissed.

He has to start. And the whole three games in a week will be utter bullshit when he'll have Bruno doing the same with the added bonus of flying half way round the world also.

Fuck that, absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Choosing to start Longstaff ahead of a fully fit Tonali is lunacy. Bruce style lunacy. 

I try not to moan about his decisions because I actually trust Howe unlike previous managers but God I want this man starting. He's already proven he's one of the first names on the team sheet in the short time he's been back. 

Other than being better at everything on a football pitch than Longstaff it's also a massive help that Tonali can swap with Bruno at times and allow some fluidity in the middle. We don't have that otherwise.

16 minutes ago, JUICE690 said:

Has such great awareness of the players around him. His quick thinking & one touch passing really is a joy to watch.

The worry with the one touch passing is that we have no one on the same wavelength 

1 hour ago, madras said:

The worry with the one touch passing is that we have no one on the same wavelength 

Agree (I did mean to follow up wth a similar point). I wonder if that's part of the reason Longstaff keeps getting in ahead of him. Players are used to a system with him in midfield. I've no doubt that Tonali was bought in with the idea to get our midfield moving the ball quicker, which is why it was such a disaster losing him for as long as we did, and at a time we were looking to take that next step and progress the team.

I'd say, Bruno, Isak, Gordan, Barnes & Willock are up to the task so let's hope we get plenty of minutes together.

Just now, Fak said:

Even if we had signed 2-3 players this summer Tonali would still be the one I would have been looking forward to seeing the most. 

Technically we signed more but you know what I mean. 

1 hour ago, madras said:

Yep, love that about him, he thinks a yard quicker than most. The potential is frightening if we had someone like Willock on his side for example.

He brought some calmness in our play and just shows how effective a forward pass to feet can be. Can't wait to see him score, seems a matter of time as he is getting into the scoring positions.