Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Ah the Pardew/ Ben Arfa treatment

Same happened with Arsenal away last season. People were calling out to change the system. He did, and that was that. Back to the same next away game. Totally different I know, but would not surprise me at all.

Edited by nufc123

10 minutes ago, Ikon said:

He’s more or less our only in form and 100% fit midfielder at the moment. None of our CM have been particularly good. No matter how I try to angle it then Tonali should have started. Just can’t see past it. Very poor decision imo. Unless there was something we didn’t know, but I doubt it fitness wise since he came on. 

TBH mate, I thought the team we went with at the start was strong and likely to give them a hard time / us a comfortable win.

I'm saying he got it wrong in retrospect. Which is obviously easy. Tonali should be starting versus City it seems to me. I'd probably have something like the below (based on them all being fit).

Burn free and coordinating at the back, sweeping and clearing the lines (or potentially Schar as he has more mobility and could step into CDM with Burn slotting at CB to prevent them playing through the lines).

Livramento and Trippier playing as part of a back 5 without possession and as wing backs with possession. Similarly 4 across midfield with Gordon dropping in without possession and a low block to give us the chance to break out on the counter.

Joelinton to follow Rodri everywhere and muscle him and hopefully free up Tonali and Bruno to coordinate play.

Isak as always the threat up top.

Wouldn't be pretty but versus Man City and away from home I think this makes us more compact and less likely to concede, witht the ability to control the game more versus lesser teams.

Probably not for this thread, I know. I think Tonali will be huge for us in time but he needs given game time now and we need to stop leaking goals and controlling games.

I'm not sure intensity is our correct identity at the moment, not unless the players hearts and heads are in it. Whatever has happened at the top, has rocked the boat all the way to the bows in my opinion.

It's the fans', players' and Eddie's job to steady the ship...and we can.

Screenshot_20240918_221156_My Lineup.jpg

Edited by Heron

I do think it was a bit strange he didn't start, especially with Willock only just coming back from another injury. He's the only midfielder we have that can genuinely rotate in-game with Bruno - I would've thought Howe would be all over that considering all of the other tinkering he's done so far this campaign.

Not related to the game, but Tonali has restricted his insta comment sections. Must be tired of all the Milan fans with all their overly emotional comments begging for him to come back.[emoji38]

Edited by Erikse

Plays 180 minutes for Italy in the space of three days and looks very good in both games.

He then has a 6 day rest before our game after Italy. Yet we only play him about an hour over 2 games, with a 6 day gap between those two games as well.

Come on Howe, start him !