Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

I wonder if Eddie really ever thought he'd get to coach players like this after he left Bournemouth. I know he purposefully didn't rush into another job but the league has a short memory and equally a lot of the jobs that do open up are right double edged swords. Most newly rich clubs would have overlooked him a bit in search for bigger brand managers, and we nearly did going for Emery. Despite today Emery is class but thank god we went with Howe, and now he gets to watch a player in teh champions league and ask the club to buy them and the club does.

Actually I thought Emery made a complete Horlicks of it today. Reminding his players of their team-mates' serious injury with those t-shirts before kick-off was a particular stroke of genius. He has some very good players, but they looked hesitant and unsure of what they were supposed to be doing half the time.

1 hour ago, oldtype said:

The fact that we were willing to take a chance on Howe rather than some has-been who happens to have a head coaching job at a bigger club on his resume was the first sign that the people running the club are smart. (Although to be fair, Howe wasn’t the first choice.)

He genuinely was my first choice - always been a massive fan of his after the Bournemouth team he built 

It sounds like an Italian footballer expressing gratitude after a significant game, possibly his debut or after scoring a pivotal goal. The positivity and gratitude in his words highlight the importance of fans' support and the impact of the atmosphere in the stadium on players' performance and morale. It's always heartwarming to see players acknowledging fans and sharing their joy with them.

[emoji38]

28 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Actually I thought Emery made a complete Horlicks of it today. Reminding his players of their team-mates' serious injury with those t-shirts before kick-off was a particular stroke of genius. He has some very good players, but they looked hesitant and unsure of what they were supposed to be doing half the time.

Thought he messed up the subs as well. Diaby was looking dangerous and then he moved him inside in some weird attempt to play Cash as a winger. Tielemans was also dogshit and completely the wrong man for the intensity of the game. 

Mings injury was a blow of course but seemed like he was trying to be a bit too clever. 

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I can't tell you how much I love that finish for his goal like. Dunno what it is about it, but I love it. Proper all action 

There's definitely something seriously satisfying about the way he managed to connect. 

He was absolutely the right player for us, like.

If anything or anyone is an indication that we need to trust the system and process in place, it's the signing of this guy.

Will be infinitely more use and value to us than Paqueta

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

He genuinely was my first choice - always been a massive fan of his after the Bournemouth team he built 

Howe was always my number one, he's a genius. Backed him from day one over Unai.

Thank god we didn't get Emery, still can't speak the language properly and is blaming the loss on the fact we were at home.

14 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I moved to Bournemouth 13 or 14 years ago, Howe has been my number one choice since about 2014.

Astonishing manager who just improves everyone around him.

As a former Winton and Wallisdown resident as well as being a nosey cunt where about? 

8 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

“It was a tough decision between him [Tonali] and Sean [Longstaff] but in the end it was based on fitness really,” said Howe. “Sean had missed a lot of pre-season with a niggly injury and Sandro completed all of pre-season. So basing it on that and how well Sandro had done in pre-season that’s why I made the decision.

“And I thought he was magnificent for us. The goal helped, it builds confidence. It certainly looked at home in the midfield. I thought his style was really effective for us today. He’s an incredible technician, very good technically off both feet. Great to see him score and in the box in that moment.”

Howe told reporters how he had fallen in love with the 23-year-old after watching him at AC Milan last season.

“We pursued him for a long, long time and paid a big fee for him because I fell in love watching him play a game last year,” Howe added. “He is an outstanding talent, he can do a little bit of everything. Very similar to our other midfielders, he’s got a combination of a lot of attributes that will suit the Premier League.

“This is one game, I don’t want to go over the top and put more pressure on him but it’s a very good start and I’m just pleased he looked confident in the shirt and the fans have certainly taken to him, which is great to see.”

Our awesome manager backing his instincts and coming up trumps yet again. 

I wonder from that whether Eddie saw something of himself in Sandro - intensity behind that reserved exterior. Inevitably, something of a manager's persona gets transmitted to his side, and whether or not Sandro is one of the best in the world, he looks just right for this team.

7 hours ago, Cronky said:

Those shirts were probably the players' idea, but I must admit I'm not a fan of distractions to a game. Minutes of silence or stuff about the Queen or fans clapping on 13 minutes or anything. Just concentrate on the game and trying to win it. The nurse's and junior doctors' strikes should tell you how vacuous gestures like clapping for the NHS can be. I quite like is taking the knee, because that's over in seconds and racism continues to be a problem at football matches, especially on the continent. Armbands and laces too are fine. They do not affect the atmosphere.

After Mings went down, it seemed to kill the atmosphere for the rest of the first half. It took the rugby tackle on Miggy to get going again. It would be understandable if the injured player was one of ours, but he's one of theirs. I like a home crowd to focus on getting behind the team and not on acting as model fans of football.