Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Here's a good one. Which player had the biggest impact/was the best in the smallest amount of time?

First player that comes to mind for me is Townsend. Obviously discounting Tony Green (wasn't around when he played, but presumably he's #1)

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Here's a good one. Which player had the biggest impact/was the best in the smallest amount of time?

First player that comes to mind for me is Townsend. Obviously discounting Tony Green (wasn't around when he played, but presumably he's #1)

Hamann?

I doubt there's anyone who's made a bigger impact who was only here for four months than Townsend. 

(I'm assuming KI's criteria is that the player has to have only been at the club for a short period?)

Bit of tangent but I wish there was more coverage of Tony Green available. The way my lass's dad talks about him is borderline mythical. A skinny hunched lad who didn't look like he'd have what it takes but was a faster more skilful Beardsley. He sounds out of this world, basically like Ben Arfa with Milner's work rate.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

sissoko only got an assist on his debut didn’t he at Villa. Can’t remember him being anything special. Unless you’re confusing his debut with that Chelsea performance?

I really thought that was his debut! My bad.

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I doubt there's anyone who's made a bigger impact who was only here for four months than Townsend. 

(I'm assuming KI's criteria is that the player has to have only been at the club for a short period?)

Basically a ratio of impact to time, aye.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Bit of tangent but I wish there was more coverage of Tony Green available. The way my lass's dad talks about him is borderline mythical. A skinny hunched lad who didn't look like he'd have what it takes but was a faster more skilful Beardsley. He sounds out of this world, basically like Ben Arfa with Milner's work rate.

My dad saw him play a few times, convinced he would've been the best player we've ever had and talked about alongside the likes of Best from that era. Second half of 71/72 he was apparently unbelievable. See highlights of our win at Old Trafford that season for a glimpse of him. (which was our only win at Old Trafford for years until Cabaye hit one in the bottom corner). Got crocked away at Palace, another reason to loathe the boring feckers.

Anyway to answer your original question I'd go Willock when he was on loan or Townsend. Probably had the best run of form of his career in those 5 months.

2 hours ago, Pilko said:

Remy in more recent times, basically kept us in the league in an otherwise horrific season.

Without his goals that season we would've been knackered but we were 6 points off top at the close of play on Boxing Day that season. Selling Cabaye and not replacing him despite knowing for months he was leaving is what spawned the abomination that was the second half of that season.

14 minutes ago, Disco said:

Such a shame he didn’t get that second immediately after when they’d shat their pants, we’d have won 9-0 if he had.

Should've won 7 or 8-1 regardless like. :lol: Agree though. 

Genuinely think we could do someone 7, 8 or 9-0 this season at SJP.

9 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Kilcline? Less obvious but crucial. 

9 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Cisse for me. 

Lived off the back of that 5 month period for the next few seasons.

Edit: didn't realise you meant was here for the shortest period.

Edited by Thumbheed

9 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah, he was the best player I ever saw playing for us, and his appearance at Old Trafford was the best performance. He totally dominated the game. 

Even by the standards of the time, the treatment for his knee injury was spectacularly bad. 

A while back, I interviewed him at his home, at a time when I was trying to make my way as a writer. Lovely guy. I gave him my programme for the Man U game, which he was glad to receive. He rated it as his finest performance.

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

What a lovely experience and gesture from you @Cronky. Top man 👍

Thank you. I have a very funny memory of the aftermath of that Man U game. In those days, match programmes used to include a supplement called the Football League Review, and on this occasion, a photo of Tony Green was included on the back. Walking out of Old Trafford, the concourse and pavements were littered with those photos, where Man U fans had ripped them out in disgust. He had pissed them off so much.

11 hours ago, Anderson said:

Can't believe how good our business has been since the takeover like. We've had no absolute nightmare flops and in players like Bruno, Tonali and Isak, in-spite of them hardly being cheap, it feels like we've got some absolute bargains when you look at the rest of the market (eg that lad Man U have just singed up top & the Caicedo fee). Cannot believe we were able to sign them all completely uncontested too.

And Botman