Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

Pack him off on loan to one of our Saudi club friends.

We can't have this circling around us when things are going so well for us. It's just not what we need right now. The timing is terrible. 

Seems like it will be resolved quite quickly, doesn't it? The other guy has been banned already. 

22 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

We've had English sources say he has and hasn't bet on football, plus Italian sources say he has and hasn't bet on football. Contradictory reports every hour or so.

The only real clue is that he's very quickly come out with the 'I'm addicted and need help' line, which maybe people do when they know a big punishment is around the corner.

Another thing is that - with this all progressing fast in public - surely this has been whispered for at least a few months underneath the surface. The rumours don't simply start last week and get punished this week.

Dodgy as fuck.

33 minutes ago, oldtype said:

Like I've said previously, if he bet on his own team then that's inexcusable and he needs to be let go. I'm all for supporting our players but there is a line.

It's stupid but betting on your team to win isn't really dodgy in itself.

”okay, I did bet on Milan games while I played for the club, but I ONLY bet on us to win” does seem a bit convenient.

Considering the story has changed multiple times in the past two days, probably best to wait and see before casting judgment.

20 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Investigations like this don't just come about overnight. The Italian authorities have allowed Milan to sell him for a huge fee right before going ahead with this. The timing stinks and Milan will be laughing all the way to the bank, as well as whoever's getting the kickbacks. We've been had.

Not sure what the club can do about it.

I thought this, but would the Italian FA have allowed Tonali to be picked for the original squad if so? Would have thought the Italian authorities would have told the FA what was going on maybe. 

2 minutes ago, madras said:

It's stupid but betting on your team to win isn't really dodgy in itself.

I see people saying this but it's simply not the case. Any athlete betting on themselves or their team to win sends a message to the rest of the gambling world - and an even bigger message when they don't bet on their team to win. It becomes clear within bookmaking circles how Tonali feels about his team's chances based on how much - or if - he bets. 

And obviously he has access to all sorts of proprietary information, it's inexcusably daft to do. I sympathise with his addiction issues and I hope he gets help. But he will be and should be punished severely. 

1 minute ago, pubteam said:

This transfer will surely end up in the courts. We won't have paid his full fee yet so I'd imagine our lawyers will be looking for a get out clause. Turns up the temperature for Milan's visit.

I'd be very surprised if the club don't escalate this using whatever avenues they can. The bets took place while he was at Milan. The investigation surely started before the sale, and that would mean the Italian authorities have watched Milan secure an enormous fee in a sale that stunned their own fans. It's all massively suspicious and there's a clear motive. Of course Milan knew what they were doing, and the Italian authorities will be in the spotlight as well. Proving it is another matter, but presumably we owe Milan in instalments and I would expect we will try to make it as slow and as difficult as possible for them to get their money.

I see nowt wrong with betting on your team to win or yourself scoring. But it's dodgy when you start betting on the other team to win, which opens a can of worms to whether you've thrown a game. Im sure many a footballer of days gone by that had a flutter on themselves to score. 

5 minutes ago, Memphis said:

I see people saying this but it's simply not the case. Any athlete betting on themselves or their team to win sends a message to the rest of the gambling world - and an even bigger message when they don't bet on their team to win. It becomes clear within bookmaking circles how Tonali feels about his team's chances based on how much - or if - he bets. 

And obviously he has access to all sorts of proprietary information, it's inexcusably daft to do. I sympathise with his addiction issues and I hope he gets help. But he will be and should be punished severely. 

That's what I meant by "in itself". I dont really see it changing odds or patterns but it the temptation is always there so I can see why it's banned.

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

I see nowt wrong with betting on your team to win or yourself scoring. But it's dodgy when you start betting on the other team to win, which opens a can of worms to whether you've thrown a game. Im sure many a footballer of days gone by that had a flutter on themselves to score. 

Matt Le Tissier said he'd bet on a throw-in in the first minute of games, then kick the ball out for a throw from kick-off. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, SteV said:

If he’s betting on them to win it’s not really match-fixing is it?

The issue with that is what other pressure do you put on? If you stand to win £500K do you offer a ref or an opposing player £250K to throw the game?

I agree in principle but see why they would just ban it full stop.

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

The boy needs help and he needs to be training and working with our club staff. 

really,while knowing the shit was about to hit the fan while signing for nufc,its a footballing matter in my eyes and will cost the team,thats all that matters to me,ive got addictions but just get on with things as do most people ,he,s rarely looked happy here& i got the feeling he didnt want to be here at first,just bad luck on our side getting spanked for 50mil or whatever it was

It's obviously not great because it's a 55m investment and another option in the middle of park, one who you would like to think would come good, but the news hasn't bothered me as much as I thought. He hasn't been here long enough to get an emotional connection like say if it was Joelinton, and bar Villa, he hasn't really had that much of an impact and not as disastrous as if it was a Bruno, Botman, or maybe even Gordon. Not ideal of course, but I'm not as concerned as I thought I would be.

Hopefully he can get the help needed, become the best English speaker of all time in his spare time, and repays the club for sticking by him when he finally does return.

2 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

The issue with that is what other pressure do you put on? If you stand to win £500K do you offer a ref or an opposing player £250K to throw the game?

I agree in principle but see why they would just ban it full stop.

Also what does it mean when he doesn't bet on them? 

And when he's a couple million in the hole what happens then? 

12 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

I'd be very surprised if the club don't escalate this using whatever avenues they can. The bets took place while he was at Milan. The investigation surely started before the sale, and that would mean the Italian authorities have watched Milan secure an enormous fee in a sale that stunned their own fans. It's all massively suspicious and there's a clear motive. Of course Milan knew what they were doing, and the Italian authorities will be in the spotlight as well. Proving it is another matter, but presumably we owe Milan in instalments and I would expect we will try to make it as slow and as difficult as possible for them to get their money.

I sincerely hope you're right. We've done nothing wrong here, if there's any chance we can get some compensation then we must pursue it.