Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Scotty66 said:

Love that Athletic article. 

Seems someone is using Edwards as a mouthpiece to run and shout our smokescreen offers while we get the real business done. 

Not that Edwards knows that I doubt, he still thinks he's getting the latest scoops. 

Scoops of red wine [emoji38]

“There’s a strategy in place,” the senior figure says. “It’s not random. We will go for big players but the price has to make sense and it’s all about what our needs are. At no point do we have the intention of making a statement signing. The intention is to get the right player, the right character, the right position, the right fit.“

A timely reminder for those who keep banging on about statement signings…

“A case in point: Declan Rice. While Howe and Newcastle are full of admiration for the England midfielder, who is joining Arsenal from West Ham United, they are not yet at the stage where they can pay £100million-plus and a weekly wage of more than £200,000 for a single player, who wants “all the bells and whistles”. Their approach from day one has been to develop and grow, develop and grow.

The hope is that Tonali can be “as good as Rice, maybe better, but “we’d rather do it this way. We want to be No 1, but in the right way; smart, sustainable, different to everyone else. We’re not spending Manchester United, Manchester City or Arsenal money.”

For the first time since Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) controversially became majority owners, they have gone to a truly elite club in the face of elite competition and signed a truly elite player 

This summed up how I felt.  Who was the last player we signed that you could say that sentence about?

I've been really excited about this since Milanista posted his views of the player and how we would never sign him.  Hearing a fan of the club you're signing the player from talk highly of a player is always a good sign!

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

“There’s a strategy in place,” the senior figure says. “It’s not random. We will go for big players but the price has to make sense and it’s all about what our needs are. At no point do we have the intention of making a statement signing. The intention is to get the right player, the right character, the right position, the right fit.“

A timely reminder for those who keep banging on about statement signings…

“A case in point: Declan Rice. While Howe and Newcastle are full of admiration for the England midfielder, who is joining Arsenal from West Ham United, they are not yet at the stage where they can pay £100million-plus and a weekly wage of more than £200,000 for a single player, who wants “all the bells and whistles”. Their approach from day one has been to develop and grow, develop and grow.

The hope is that Tonali can be “as good as Rice, maybe better, but “we’d rather do it this way. We want to be No 1, but in the right way; smart, sustainable, different to everyone else. We’re not spending Manchester United, Manchester City or Arsenal money.”

Someone actually acknowledging Man Utd’s spending. Wonders will never cease.

25 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Some unsurprising bitterness in those threads.

How dare we have the nerve to spend money and sign a player

At least they aren't saying "he was shit anyway, we never wanted him!" Fair play, good to see one or two others saying for the same price he's a better player than Mount. Someone actually said he's comfortably better than Rice as well. Not sure about that, but I'll take it. :lol:

I’m sure he won’t lose any sleep. Serie A has never been as popular as it was once was since the 90s. The premiership has been best and most popular league in the world for some time now, so I wouldn’t be surprised if more players like him do the same………and come to Newcastle :bluestar:

I swear to god, if I hear another  “He’s been likened to Andrea Pirlo but he’s not that kind of player, more like Gattuso!” said as if it’s the first time we’ve heard it I’m going to start putting heavy cream in my carbonaras. We get it, man.

Edited by McCormick

I was listening to a podcast earlier and they made a really interesting point … they said while he looks like Pirlo he actually plays more like his hero Gattuso. We’ve got a warrior coming in.

3 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I was listening to a podcast earlier and they made a really interesting point … they said while he looks like Pirlo he actually plays more like his hero Gattuso. We’ve got a warrior coming in.

:lol:

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Him Bruno and big Joe grinding up the midfield!